ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State vs Oklahoma

BVHawkeye

HR Legend
Jan 6, 2003
I know people bitch about Kirk’s offense and Fran’s defense. ISU has 17 points with 2:40 to go in the first half. Painful to watch their offense. However, they win! So does Kirk.

Reactions: LukaDuka
I know people bitch about Kirk’s offense and Fran’s defense. ISU has 17 points with 2:40 to go in the first half. Painful to watch their offense. However, they win! So does Kirk.

I’ve watched them play quite a bit this season. They absolutely grind you up. But man, their offense is non existent at times.

So this board has devolved into updating juco bitches? Did Iowa central play tonight too?
My point, although hidden, is that winning matters. ISU’s offense sucks but their defense is damn good. Iowa’s football offense sucks and their defense is elite. Iowa’s basketball defense sucks and their offense is damn good. The point: ISU’s basketball wins and Iowa’s football wins. That is what matters for all those bitching about Kirk!

My point, although hidden, is that winning matters. ISU’s offense sucks but their defense is damn good. Iowa’s football offense sucks and their defense is elite. Iowa’s basketball defense sucks and their offense is damn good. The point: ISU’s basketball wins and Iowa’s football wins. That is what matters for all those bitching about Kirk!
Basketball is a fans played many ways but the goal is to win the game.

I have told this story before but here goes…I had a very good friend who coached college football locally for many years. He told me that if the devil made a deal with a football coach he would win every game 2-0, in return the coach had to promise never to throw a forward pass or run outside the tackles, every coach he knew would say “yes” to the deal.
Coaches are trained to WiN their games. Whatever (legal) means necessary. Basketball coaches are no different.

There are different roads to the same place……all that matters in the end is the W ……I agree!

Reactions: WSC72
I went to the game……it was brutal to watch!
In all honesty OU’s offense was absolutely terrible. 5 guys stand around outside the 3 point line. Moser could get run outta OU.

And Kirk gets clobbered by teams with a pulse, so there's that 🤷‍♂️

Which works great until you get to the tournament and run into a set of officials that actually call fouls. Then you are screwed. Kind of like Purdue will be with Edey.

Somehow you have turned ISU having a good Basketball year based on defense into a plug for Kirk in football? In reality you are making a shout out for Phil Parker---the guy that runs the Iowa defense. KIrk & son are the ones running the Iowa offense. Son is gone, but now Budamyr is WR coach. Jury is out on offense for next year. Phil on otherhand always does a great job coaching the defense.

That Oklahoma team beat Iowa 79-67 this year. Since then Freeman has moved into staring lineup and Dix has emerged at 2G and Perkins as emerged as the Iowa PG. I would presume score would be closer if we played again.

Yesterday was the kind of game that last year, ISU scores 40 in and loses. Still scored 58 despite having a terrible offensive night and still #52 in offensive efficiency per KenPom.

This team isn't bad offensively. It was a C- game and they still won by 13 over a team that will likely make the tourney.

Iowa Men's BB wins, too.

• Haha
Reactions: flynnhicks03
Somehow you have turned ISU having a good Basketball year based on defense into a plug for Kirk in football? In reality you are making a shout out for Phil Parker---the guy that runs the Iowa defense. KIrk & son are the ones running the Iowa offense. Son is gone, but now Budamyr is WR coach. Jury is out on offense for next year. Phil on otherhand always does a great job coaching the defense.

That Oklahoma team beat Iowa 79-67 this year. Since then Freeman has moved into staring lineup and Dix has emerged at 2G and Perkins as emerged as the Iowa PG. I would presume score would be closer if we played again.

So basically Iowa football starts and stops with Phil Parker? No one else exists, right?

Which works great until you get to the tournament and run into a set of officials that actually call fouls. Then you are screwed. Kind of like Purdue will be with Edey.
It's really the opposite.

The tournament officials don't call anything. The teams that advance are usually the most physical and athletic, not the most offensively skilled.

Fla Atlantic and Sandiego st are perfect examples. Isu made the sweet 16 because of their defense.

The rest of college basketball has passed the big ten in physicality. Msu is about the only one that can still keep up.

The only way to deal with Edey is to be extraordinarily physical with double teams on him and hope you get away with it and be really physical with their guards before they can get him the ball.

Reactions: littlez
It's really the opposite.

The tournament officials don't call anything. The teams that advance are usually the most physical and athletic, not the most offensively skilled.

Fla Atlantic and Sandiego st are perfect examples. Isu made the sweet 16 because of their defense.

The rest of college basketball has passed the big ten in physicality. Msu is about the only one that can still keep up.

The only way to deal with Edey is to be extraordinarily physical with double teams on him and hope you get away with it and be really physical with their guards before they can get him the ball.
The way to beat Purdue is to run their legs off.

Edey can't get up and down the floor well enough to keep up with a "real" running team (which Iowa is not). Think the Oregon team that lit us up in the tourney a few years ago.

The way to beat Purdue is to run their legs off.

Edey can't get up and down the floor well enough to keep up with a "real" running team (which Iowa is not). Think the Oregon team that lit us up in the tourney a few years ago.
That's silly.

Purdue would destroy that Oregon team worse than USC destroyed them the following game.

I'm not stating my opinion on how to beat Purdue I'm stating the facts of how they have been beaten this year and last.

Reactions: NI hawk and littlez
Purdue won’t make the Final 4 because they are Purdue.
They have a shot but I probably won't pick them to.

It always depends on matchups.

Eventually they will probably run into a team that's too athletic and physical.

Relying on post play, even as good as Edey, is just too unpredictable.

So Kirk runs the offense and has nothing to do with the defense? Right? Make the story fit your perspective. How do you know that ISU’s coach isn’t responsible for the offense? Laughable!

Do you really think, when the game plan is created, the head coach has nothing to do with the defense? Just the offense? Pretty naive and shows what you know about coaching staffs. You still miss the point. Kirk wins, no matter how it’s accomplished, and that is what matters.

Reactions: Madman_1
So Kirk runs the offense and has nothing to do with the defense? Right? Make the story fit your perspective. How do you know that ISU’s coach isn’t responsible for the offense? Laughable!

Do you really think, when the game plan is created, the head coach has nothing to do with the defense? Just the offense? Pretty naive and shows what you know about coaching staffs. You still miss the point. Kirk wins, no matter how it’s accomplished, and that is what matters.

It’s what they want to believe, 🤷‍♂️…. It’s strange really, but I take solace in the knowledge that Phill Parker thinks they are idiots😂

ISU does struggle offensively at times, but their D always gives them a good chance to win. OU actually was playing good D as well, which contributed to such a low scoring game.

They are 22-6. Solid 2nd in the Big 12. End of conversation. Probably a 3 seed, could sneak up to a 2 seed if (a BIG if) they win out, and win the conference tourney. A VERY BIG IF.

The earlier post about "ISU JC" made me laugh

Gilbert = transfer
Lipsey = HS recruit
Milan = HS recruit
Tre King = transfer
R. Jones = transfer

C. Jones = transfer
Watson = HS recruit
Ward = transfer
Paveletzke = transfer

No JC guys I can see.

If you want to be critical of all the transfers, fine. That is how you build a college program. Who on that transfer list wouldn't play at Iowa? Paveletzke is probably the only one.

As far as Omaha goes, he isn't playing bc of who is ahead of him (King, R. Jones, and Ward). Who is he gonna take minutes from? All of those guys are 24 years old. Grown men compared to a true freshman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT