*****Iowa vs Michigan St Game Thread*****

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
6pm Peacock
MSU -9.5
O/U 154.5

Iowa Hawkeyes (15-11, 7-8) at Michigan State Spartans (17-9, 9-6).

The Spartans are 13-2 on their home court and have won 8 of the last 10 games. Their opponents have averaged only 65.1 points per game. After a slow start Michigan state is peaking at the right time.

The Hawkeyes are 7-8 in conference matchups and 5 and 5 in last 10 games. Their opponents have averaged 79.7 points. Iowa needs a win badly to keep any chance of the NCAA Tournament alive.

This one’s going to be ugly boyz, 83-69 MSU

y3Cqfi0.jpeg

A win would definately put them on the "just under the bubble" radar at least, especially if other teams around that level start to fade. Would need to keep winning ofc, can't lose to Penn State, at least pick up one of two vs ILL.

So win probabability is about 1/6.....sounds right...but you never know which Hawkeye Team shows up. I'll predict a loss but not a huge beatdown.

I'd rather see more Harding/more Dimbele/ and less Krikke in general, or Krikke make his shot shots if he does play 35 min.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Win at MSU and Hawks are firmly on the bubble. Lose and they are outside the bubble looking in... Win or lose, Hawks are still not yet in the dance. I think this sums it up.

Bubble Boy Quarantine GIF by Cameo

2 months ago a bunch of people on here were saying that 4-5 MSU had no shot at the tournament. Those of us who have followed B1G basketball and the usual trajectory of MSU seasons knew this was BAU since Izzo arrived. He starts every season against very tough competition looking bad and by tournament time they are a hard driving battle tested machine. This season is no different. They're probably playing as well as any team in the B1G right now. Iowa will need their best game to have a chance.

Last edited:
2 months ago a bunch of people on here were saying that 4-5 MSU had no shot at the tournament. Those of us who have followed B1G basketball and the usual trajectory of MSU seasons knew this was BAU since Izzo arrived. He starts every season against very tough competition looking bad and by tournament time they are a hard driving battle tested machine. This season is no different. They're probably playing as well as good as any team in the B1G right now. Iowa will need their best game to have a chance.
This is the difference between Fran & Izzo. Fran schedules patsies to give the younger players some confidence in winning some easy games. Izzo schedules tough opponents to show his players how much work they need to do to improve to an elite level.

This is the difference between Fran & Izzo. Fran schedules patsies to give the younger players some confidence in winning some easy games. Izzo schedules tough opponents to show his players how much work they need to do to improve to an elite level.
Iowa played the exact same number of Quadrant 1 games in the non-conference as Michigan State did this year. The difference in the 2 schedules is Indiana State and James Madison ended up being very good mid majors this year.

Iowa played the exact same number of Quadrant 1 games in the non-conference as Michigan State did this year. The difference in the 2 schedules is Indiana State and James Madison ended up being very good mid majors this year.
Not exactly the same even without the JMU and Ind St surprises. MSU played #9 Duke, #4 Arizona, #11 Baylor, and Butler who has been very good of late. This is the type of OOC schedule they play every single year with a few patsies mixed in. It's intentional to schedule/play top competition out of the gate. Iowa by comparison played #8 Creighton and what was an unranked albeit very underrated ISU team. Nobody else was expected to do much this year.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Not exactly the same even without the JMU and Ind St surprises. MSU played #9 Duke, #4 Arizona, #11 Baylor, and Butler who has been very good of late. This is the type of OOC schedule they play every single year with a few patsies mixed in. It's intentional to schedule/play top competition out of the gate. Iowa by comparison played #8 Creighton and what was an unranked albeit very underrated ISU team. Nobody else was expected to do much this year.
I'm going to use the NET because the AP Poll is largely meaningless, especially when comparing schedules months later:

Iowa: @ #8 ISU, @ #13 Creighton, N v #39 Oklahoma

MSU: N v #3 Arizona, N v #11 Baylor, N #17 Duke

The fact that Iowa played 2 true road games against top-15 teams IMO puts their stretch of games as slightly more difficult. Either way, I don't really get how you can say they aren't close--Oklahoma has fallen off a bit of late, but that is also the only true neutral game whereas MSU played 3 neutrals (one of which was in Detroit). The home game aganist Butler is also a Q2B game whereas Iowa's neutral court game against Seton Hall is a Q2A game. Again, MSU's NC schedule is tougher, but that's largely due to Indiana State and James Madison being surprising Q2 home games.

Reactions: Bishop-71
I'm going to use the NET because the AP Poll is largely meaningless, especially when comparing schedules months later:

The fact that Iowa played 2 true road games against top-15 teams IMO puts their stretch of games as slightly more difficult. Either way, I don't really get how you can say they aren't close--Oklahoma has fallen off a bit of late, but that is also the only true neutral game whereas MSU played 3 neutrals (one of which was in Detroit). The home game aganist Butler is also a Q2B game whereas Iowa's neutral court game against Seton Hall is a Q2A game. Again, MSU's NC schedule is tougher, but that's largely due to Indiana State and James Madison being surprising Q2 home games.
Absolutely agree. Our preseason schedule was plenty tough.

Can't turn the ball over, have to rebound the defensive boards especially and we can't have a 4 to 6 to 8 minute stretch without a basket. Keep scoring and putting the pressure on MSU to score, something they are not particularly go at.

I think we're looking at it differently. You're looking at the schedules through the lens of what's happened this year. I'm looking at it in terms of how expectations factor into scheduling each year. MSU purposely plays an OOC schedule featuring multiple bluebloods every year. They played 3 highly ranked in preseason opponents. A lot of it has to do with the tournaments they play in which target the bluebloods. They play some of if not the toughest OOC competition of any B1G team every year. This year was no different. Iowa occasionaly plays a tough OOC schedule, but even then it's mostly by accident, running into a program or two that are punching above their usual weight (ISU). Iowa played a highly ranked Creighton team, but nobody else is in the realm of where Arizona, Duke and Baylor have resided over the last 10-15 years or so.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I think we're looking at it differently. You're looking at the schedules through the lens of what's happened this year. I'm looking at it in terms of how expectations factor into scheduling each year. MSU purposely plays an OOC schedule featuring multiple bluebloods every year. They played 3 highly ranked in preseason opponents. A lot of it has to do with the tournaments they play in which target the bluebloods. They play some of if not the toughest OOC competition of any B1G team every year. This year was no different. Iowa occasionaly plays a tough OOC schedule, but even then it's mostly by accident, running into a program or two that are punching above their usual weight (ISU). Iowa played a highly ranked Creighton team, but nobody else is in the realm of where Arizona, Duke and Baylor have resided over the last 10-15 years or so.
You're having a very different conversation, I'm literally just talking about this season.

Of course MSU typically has tougher schedules--hell they were smart to capitalize on their National Title by helping to create the champions classic, that right there means they play Duke, Kentucky or Kansas every year. And you're right, typically MSU is invited to the better Thanksgiving tournaments each year due to their brand recognition and their preseason prognostications.

I'm just saying, this year Iowa had a tough NC schedule. I actually think Fran has done a lot better at this in recent years in general. In the last 5 seasons, Iowa is averaging 2.75 Quad 1 games and 1.33 Quad 2 game on their non-conference schedule every year. If you look around at college basketball that's way above average. Especially when combined with a 20 game Big Ten schedule, this has largely helped with their SOS. Iowa's average SOS finish the last 4 years is #30 SOS in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT