ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa vs Michigan St Game Thread*****

I am beyond giddy i am giddddy

seinfeld-giddy-up.gif

Criticism of the coaches is part of the game. We should never call out players and say such terrible things about them. They are committed to the Hawks and work hard year around. I really dislike the haters on the board. It makes it difficult to keep coming for information. There is almost no good information any more. Just bitching and moaning. Sure, I get upset with our play, especially on defense, but they are still fun to watch.

I have to disagree somewhat. I had no problem following the action on the radio.
Same here! He might make a mistake here and there, but he's 95% spot on and I know that because I was watching the game on Peacock! You're not going to get a better play by play announcer then Dolph so quit whining about his play calling. You won't find anyone better....

• Love
Reactions: 83Hawk and F5n5
We learned tonight that Robbie Hummel thinks verticality goes out the window if the defender is in the restricted arch. Odd that a former big man wouldn’t know that.

We learned tonight that Robbie Hummel thinks verticality goes out the window if the defender is in the restricted arch. Odd that a former big man wouldn’t know that.
When I heard that I had one of those WTF moments. Hummel had a Bardo brain fart.

Reactions: iahawks10
I disagree with everyone saying Dolphin does a good job, he is OK at best... I listen to the weekday games on the radio and he called at least 3 plays where he thought Iowa had made the basket but had actually missed it. He might of had a bad angle...?

True, but the comparison is valid. She was crap in the NCAAS until last year. Give Fran a couple more years and I’m confident you will see success in the tournament.
Has to be sarcasm? ISU goes 0-18 in the Big 12 in 20-21 season and the next year is in sweet 16. ONE fricking season from winless to sweet 16. Fran needs 16 seasons for success in the tourney? Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. You would think the same would happen for Iowa BB at some point.

Has to be sarcasm? ISU goes 0-18 in the Big 12 in 20-21 season and the next year is in sweet 16. ONE fricking season from winless to sweet 16. Fran needs 16 seasons for success in the tourney? Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. You would think the same would happen for Iowa BB at some point.
I’m not defending his past lack of NCAA success. I’m saying that it’s likely his luck will turn. You seem to agree based upon your comments.

I disagree with everyone saying Dolphin does a good job, he is OK at best... I listen to the weekday games on the radio and he called at least 3 plays where he thought Iowa had made the basket but had actually missed it. He might of had a bad angle...?
he constantly misspeaks. late in the second half when iowa was ahead by 11, two times in a row he said michigan state was ahead. someone just turning in would not have a clue what was happening

Maybe you haven’t paid attention to the Women’s team, but she won the conference in her 8th year and didn’t win it again until 2022. In short she didn’t really start dominating the Big until 2017, her 16th year and the Big 10 men’s league has been way more demanding than the women’s until recently. It’s a very apropos comparison.

People don’t like it because it goes against their narrative. You shouldn’t fire solid coaches in my mind.

Buuttttt if we hire a better coach with better results the 1st time instead of say 6 years and 2 coaches later, I’ll concede. If not it was stupid and I don’t particularly care for Fran

Bluder Winning the conference in 8th year is a GREAT result. Iowa men's program hasn't won a B1G title in around 44 years.

She also finished 2nd 3 times in 1st 14 years.....Fran's best finish in 14 years is 3rd place.

I would like to See Fran take home some hardware. Winning a B1G title is great accomplishment. Finishing 2nd and being in the title race until the end is also a great result. Fran doing something in NCAA and going on a run would also be great result, but instead we seem to be DOA in Ncaa tourney..

Fran is not going to be fired nor should he be fired, but the argument comparing him to Bluder doesn't make a lot of sense to me because I would be estatic if Fran had Bluder's results for years 1-8 and 1-14.

What is wrong with pointing out his system is flawed because he doesn't sub for defense/consider defense in his roster builds and that limits the upside on the team? Why can't an old man look in the mirror, man up, make some course changes after 28 years?

He's a high floor, low ceiling coach. He's got 4 years left on his contract....plenty of time for the faithful to see him make a NCAA run and earn an extension. I'm saying don't extend his contract until he does something special. I personally doubt he gets it done.

Bluder Winning the conference in 8th year is a GREAT result. Iowa men's program hasn't won a B1G title in around 44 years.

She also finished 2nd 3 times in 1st 14 years.....Fran's best finish in 14 years is 3rd place.

I would like to See Fran take home some hardware. Winning a B1G title is great accomplishment. Finishing 2nd and being in the title race until the end is also a great result. Fran doing something in NCAA and going on a run would also be great result, but instead we seem to be DOA in Ncaa tourney..

Fran is not going to be fired nor should he be fired, but the argument comparing him to Bluder doesn't make a lot of sense to me because I would be estatic if Fran had Bluder's results for years 1-8 and 1-14.

What is wrong with pointing out his system is flawed because he doesn't sub for defense/consider defense in his roster builds and that limits the upside on the team? Why can't an old man look in the mirror, man up, make some course changes after 28 years?

He's a high floor, low ceiling coach. He's got 4 years left on his contract....plenty of time for the faithful to see him make a NCAA run and earn an extension. I'm saying don't extend his contract until he does something special. I personally doubt he gets it done.

Same arguments Bluder has faced…don’t believe me, ask around.

Super easy to cast desparagubg comments from the window.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Bobby Bowden and Tom Osborne (no not comparable to Fran or Lisa) wouldn’t have made it long enough at their respective universities to win NCs in this era.

If memory serves it took 20 plus years for both and those 2 universities in recent years have proven they’ll move on from 9 win coaches….

In fact ole Pearl Smith likely wouldn’t have lasted as long as he did and I’m still shocked Mike Schenk did🤷‍♂️

We haven’t improved society, we’ve made it worse. I wish they’d apply the same metric in the public sector…if your not the best, look out, your going to be fired….

We’d have a lot of unemployed people for sure

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hendy hawk
I didn’t agree to it, but what was it anyhow?
If Iowa misses the NCAA tournament, you can only make negative/pessimistic posts from then until the start of football season. And it wasn't something you had a choice in declining.

Or you can simply choose not to post from March until the start of FB. ;)

Love it, haha. I do wonder if Izzo is losing it some, but he still always puts a good product on the floor. Just not quite what it was a decade or two ago, seems like. Still... The guy gets under my skin, and he beat our asses regularly for a while there, so I don't feel the least bit bad about returning the favor now. Absolutely delicious.

He's become smart enough to recognize who his real enemies are,.. Fran is not an enemy.
Iowa's won the last 5 of 6 games against them, so not sure what you are getting at.

Izzo and Fran are pretty good friends off the court. Whenever they are at AAU events I'm at, they are always pretty chummy and will usually watch games together. There's definitely a group of coaches in the conference that Fran is close with: Izzo, Painter, Howard, and Underwood are the guys that Fran's actively hanging out with at events.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT