ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa / tOSU PBP

Each of our 4 losses tonight we’re decided either in SV (Drake and Abe) or points with less than 20 seconds to go. Karchla late TD and Sasso late reversal. Shows how close this was to an Iowa shutout. I know, you gotta finish, but trying to find some positives.
Murin could wrestle Sasso a hundred times and not beat him, BUT Max wrestled really well and has been wrestling well for the most part. He looks good overall IMO.

Great job by Drake Ayala to tie that match late, that shows some guts. He seems to have slowed his offense, so as not to expose himself defensively, and he just isn't all there yet. When he figures it out he'll be a handful, not happening this year unfortunately IMO. The standards at this weight class are high at Iowa, he's in the lineup 1 year too soon, but shows a lot of guts out there. Keep your head up kid.

The Bull scored 1 point, that gets you beat. Granted, Kharchla didn't do a thing for 90% of the match, but Marinelli let him get away with it, so he got what he earned. That said, the winning takedown on the edge was OUTSTANDING wrestling by Kharchla against a veteran, so props where it's due him.

Abe Assad is good, he's not great, and he didn't score. Don't score you don't win. Tough opponent but you have to find a way if you want to make the podium. Abe doesn't seem to have the horsepower, but the effort has been pretty good overall I think.

DeSanto showed what to do with an overmatched opponent, Eireman still sleep-walking. Kem was solid, as was Cass. Jacob Warner is a tough dude, and he can drive you nuts. I wonder sometimes if he doesn't realize how good he is.

Murin could wrestle Sasso a hundred times and not beat him, BUT Max wrestled really well and has been wrestling well for the most part. He looks good overall IMO.

Great job by Drake Ayala to tie that match late, that shows some guts. He seems to have slowed his offense, so as not to expose himself defensively, and he just isn't all there yet. When he figures it out he'll be a handful, not happening this year unfortunately IMO. The standards at this weight class are high at Iowa, he's in the lineup 1 year too soon, but shows a lot of guts out there. Keep your head up kid.

The Bull scored 1 point, that gets you beat. Granted, Kharchla didn't do a thing for 90% of the match, but Marinelli let him get away with it, so he got what he earned. That said, the winning takedown on the edge was OUTSTANDING wrestling by Kharchla against a veteran, so props where it's due him.

Abe Assad is good, he's not great, and he didn't score. Don't score you don't win. Tough opponent but you have to find a way if you want to make the podium. Abe doesn't seem to have the horsepower, but the effort has been pretty good overall I think.

DeSanto showed what to do with an overmatched opponent, Eireman still sleep-walking. Kem was solid, as was Cass. Jacob Warner is a tough dude, and he can drive you nuts. I wonder sometimes if he doesn't realize how good he is.
Your JWar comment is spot on. Of all the Hawks I bet it’s JWar that keeps the Brands up at night. He’s got so much talent, but mentally loses it from time to time. Max Dean strategically took Pat Brucki apart on Friday. Brucki was clearly bigger, stronger and more explosive, but Dean is smarter and mentally broke him with a tactical plan. While watching the match, I couldn’t help thinking that this is exactly what he’s going to do to JWar. (sigh)

Re Warner, was Tom or Terry telling him to keep the guy down the whole first period? I wanted to re-watch to see if I was missing something. My assessment may have been too harsh if he was just following coaches' orders. But he was riding with no discernable purpose other than to keep the match close with a guy who wasn't in his league.

Reactions: blcoach80
Re Warner, was Tom or Terry telling him to keep the guy down the whole first period? I wanted to re-watch to see if I was missing something. My assessment may have been too harsh if he was just following coaches' orders. But he was riding with no discernable purpose other than to keep the match close with a guy who wasn't in his league.
I'm pretty sure they were wanting him to ride. He won a lot of matches with tough riding at NCAA last year so maybe working on getting him the stamina for that. Not the first time he has done a lot of riding early and in effect tired himself out for later.

Reactions: TarpHawk
If you get a takedown in the first 30 seconds of a match and then choose to ride for the final 2:30 of the first period while doing nothing on top and picking up your own staling call, you have a bad strategy. Warner would have been better served being up 4-1 at the end of the first with 1:30 in riding time.

I trust in Tom and Terry, but watching them point down, as in keep him down, when an Iowa wrestler has well over a minute of riding time is silly to me. End of period, yes, keep them down, if not they should be working towards chain wrestling and a major. That’s how you tire people down.

It sucks that Bull wasn't able to score, and say what you will about the last two periods, but Alex took four legitimate shots and was looking for more that first period, as kharchla backed his ass to the edge of the mat and used his strength to block off constantly. Kharchla took one legitimate shot with about 20 seconds left, at the edge of the mat as Marinelli was pushing into him, which was clearly their strategy. I just rewatched it before making this post.

Alex wanted to score, but that guy was big and strong and blocked off with a ref refusing to call stalling.
My friend, I can't disagree with you there. I'm usually not into saying the ref sucked, but for this dual the ref did suck. I felt like Jaydin's guy did nothing but stall the entire f'ing match. Maybe this ref was overly sensitive due to the OSU crowd, I'm not sure. But he definitely sucked when it came to what constituted stalling.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
My friend, I can't disagree with you there. I'm usually not into saying the ref sucked, but for this dual the ref did suck. I felt like Jaydin's guy did nothing but stall the entire f'ing match. Maybe this ref was overly sensitive due to the OSU crowd, I'm not sure. But he definitely sucked when it came to what constituted stalling.
I couldn't believe he let Eierman's guy hold onto his hand like that.

I get kharchla was ranked 7th, but that guy is a title contender no less.
I definitely think he's worthy. But if he runs into one of those refs who wants to see action he could be in a bit of a bind. His game plan against Alex looked very Jason Tsirtsis like when he won NCAAs...do nothing but stall the entire match and then pray your opponent wears down and you can beat him in the end.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT