ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa v. Kansas State - Sunday, February 26th

AuroraHawk

HR Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
Kansas State came to Round Rock with a 4-1 record and lost to LSU on Friday and SHU yesterday.

It will be Iowa’s second consecutive game facing a pitcher who started his career at University of Arizona: https://www.kstatesports.com/sports/baseball/roster/german-fajardo/10949

Fajardo pitched last Saturday (perhaps they view him as their #2 starter?) against Stephen F. Austin. Recorded 4 IP. Gave up 7 hits, 2 walks, 3 Ks and 2 ER (3 runs total).

Also started on Wednesday against Lamar. Pitched 2 innings. Gave up 4 hits, 2 walks, 1 K and 2 earned runs.

His 2022 season was a roller coaster. Appeared in 22 games; started 6 of them. Very good outings against Wichita State and Texas Tech (suggesting that the talent is there).

Fajardo is easily the worst of the weekend starters that Iowa will see.

Fajardo has never pitched more than 6 innings in any outing. I'm hinking that Iowa will get to see at least 4 innings of KSU's bullpen today. 3 KSU relievers pitched against LSU. 5 KSU relievers pitched against SHU. Only one reliever - Shay Hartis - pitched in both games. He was good against LSU but he gave up 4 late runs to SHU yesterday.

KSU's bats haven't really shown up this weekend. 4 hits against LSU. 6 hits against SHU. KSU was down 4-0 going into B7 against SHU and rallied with 1 and the 7th and 2 in the 8th to narrow score to 4-3 but, as noted above, Hartis gave up 4 in T9 and KSU lost 8-3.

As I've written many times, I simply am not convinced that Morgan can harness his "stuff" and consistently throw strikes. Moreover, I'm not convinced that he has confidence that his "stuff" in the strike zone can get guys out. I really like that Voelker should be ready to go and I'm hoping that, if Morgan struggles, Heller keeps him on a short leash.

Really hoping to see Morgan have a strong start to the game and Iowa's bats put up some runs in the first couple of innings. Put KSU in an early hole and put them away. Getting another win (against a Big 12) opponent after knocking off #1 LSU would certainly bolster the argument that yesterday was not a fluke.

FWIW . . . was texting this morning with a friend of mine whose son plays 1B for Tulane. The father of Tulane's C is a big LSU fan. My friend talked to him this a.m. and he reported that LSU's radio team was very complimentary of what Iowa brought to the table yesterday. Left a strong impression.

Here's hoping that KSU's radio team leaves Texas with the same impression!

EDIT: In a pre-game interview . . . KSU's radio announcer identifies that KSU's "front line" bullpen arms are likely not available today but that the bullpen depth is considered a strength.

EDIT #2: Wind is apparently blowing out. KSU's radio announcer is claiming that KSU's coach is hoping for KSU's hitters to get balls into the air today. Thinks that a slugfest likely favors the Wildcats.

EDIT #3: Heller's pre-game interview indicates that they expect KSU to employ a patient approach at the plate which will require Iowa's pitchers to get ahead early in the count. If Iowa's pitchers do that, there's a good chance that Iowa can force KSU to chase pitches and induce ground balls. Heller: "First team to 6 runs in the first 6 innings" will likely win this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIowahawks
Good start . . .

1. KSU kicks the ball around (dropped pop up behind second base and then a muffed ground ball to 1B) and Iowa scores an unearned run in T1.
2. Morgan has a good B1. 1-2-3.

Good guys 1-0.

Reactions: Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo
Nice start for the Hawkeyes.

Safety squeeze in T2 scores a run for Iowa. Morgan walks a runner with 2 outs and then allows a 2 out double but avoids giving up a run.

Had to take a client call here in the office and missed details but Iowa adds 2 runs in T3. Morgan gives up a 1 out single and then a SB. Iowa up 4-0 in B3.

EDIT: After inducing a 1 out grounder to 2B to get the second out of B3, Morgan throws a wild pitch and KSU scores its first run. Mistake hurts when Morgan ends up striking out the batter.

4-1 Iowa . . to T4.

Last edited:
Interesting comment just now by Iowa's radio announcers.

As a result of Brecht's ejection yesterday, he is automatically suspended for four games. Today's game against KSU is Game 1. The mid-week game against Loras will be Game 2. Southern University on Friday is Game 3. South Alabama on Saturday is Game 4. He'd be eligible to pitch on Sunday against Pepperdine.

If the game against Loras is postponed due to weather issues (cold), Brecht won't be able to pitch for the entirety of next weekend's games.

May not seem like much but he needs to pitch. If he can't pitch next weekend in Mobile, he'd be going into the huge road weekend against ranked Texas Tech not pitching for nearly two weeks and only throwing 3.1 innings against LSU.

Morgan in deep trouble - largely self induced. Walk, Balk, E on Pickoff throw (into CF), Walk and Infield Single.
Bases juiced with 1 out.

EDIT: Single scores 2 (both of them got on base via walk). Runners on 1st and 2nd with one out. Morgan's day is over. Voelker is coming in.

That's two consecutive days that Iowa's starting pitcher is limited to 3.1 IP and whose troubles were caused by not throwing strikes. Blah.

EDIT: Voelker induces ground-out. Runners on corners - 2 outs. KSU attempts a double-steal. Moss throws the ball to second base. Runner stops and purposefully gets into a rundown. Iowa tags out the runner but after the runner on the third crosses the plate.

New game. 4-4. Walks kill.

Last edited:
Mid relief is going to be huge for this team if our starters don’t develop some sort of consistency around the plate.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
Back to back singles put runners on 1st and 3rd with one out in T5. Knocks out KSU's starter.

Sam Peterson proceeds to ground into a 4-6-3 DP. Game remains tied.

EDIT: In B5, a single and SB with no outs sets the table for KSU. Fly out (runner tags to 3rd base), swinging K and 6-3 groundout ends the inning. Both teams blow great chances to score in the 5th.

Still 4-4.

Last edited:
Mid relief is going to be huge for this team if our starters don’t develop some sort of consistency around the plate.

If the starters can't throw strikes, I envision that Simpson and Voelker could evolve into those roles. I'm anticipating that Brecht would get a longer look.

Just 54% of Morgan's pitches were strikes. He had 3 walks, a wild pitch & a balk.

Yikes.

Morgan's Line:

3 1/3 Innings Pitched
76 total pitches (4.47 pitches/batter faced)
41 strikes (54%)

17 batters faced
4 Strike outs
5 ground outs
1 fly out
3 Walks
1 Wild Pitch
1 Balk

0 Hit by Pitch

4 Hits
4 Runs (all earned)

1 Error by the team

Just 54% of Morgan's pitches were strikes. He had 3 walks, a wild pitch & a balk.

Yikes.

Morgan's Line:

3 1/3 Innings Pitched
76 total pitches (4.47 pitches/batter faced)
41 strikes (54%)

17 batters faced
4 Strike outs
5 ground outs
1 fly out
3 Walks
1 Wild Pitch
1 Balk

0 Hit by Pitch

4 Hits
4 Runs (all earned)

1 Error by the team
Crap. Hoping for a good outing from Morgan. He couldn't have been nicer to grandkids.

Reactions: Franisdaman
T6: Keaton Anthony one out double. Advances on fly ball to CF. Passed ball by KSU allows Anthony to score. 5-5.

B6: Leadoff single. Voelker shuts 'em down.

To T7 . . . 5-5.

T8 - Iowa goes down easily.
B8 - 3, 4, 5 for KSU. Big 1/2 inning here.

EDIT: Voelker shuts 'em down. 4.2 IP for him. Only 1 earned run.

To T-9 . . . 5-5. Iowa has 2-3-4 coming to the plate. My hat is inside out and backwards. Time for a rally. KSU going to its bullpen to start the 8th.

EDIT #2: Listening to baseball broadcast. Streaming the women's basketball game on my laptop. Not much legal work getting done right now.

Last edited:
And here we go . . . to B9 . . . Voelker is on to finish the game. Iowa up 6-5. Betting that Christopherson will be up and warming to start the inning as well.

EDIT: I'm wrong. Radio guys just said that Christopherson is not warming up.

Iowa wins 6-5 and improves its record to 5-1.

Fp666rMXwAANrHx

Iowa wins 6-5. Voelker with a really strong outing. (6.2; 1 ER) He has to be considered as a starter. Everything that we could hope for. YES!

EDIT: Now its time for the women to win the nail biter in CHA!

EDIT #2: Caitlin Clark is a cold hearted assassin. Cold freaking hearted.

Last edited:
If the starters can't throw strikes, I envision that Simpson and Voelker could evolve into those roles. I'm anticipating that Brecht would get a longer look.
This staff is being setup in a non-traditional way but one that makes a lot of sense & could pay massive dividends as the season goes on. Don’t look for changes soon as the plan for Brecht & Morgan could payoff huge.

In person yesterday Morgan looked much much better than last year (mentality, intensity, body language). He is real close & it was great seeing the progress he has made. Numbers yesterday don’t show it, especially in the 4th inning but he’s come a long way. Brecht was super pumped up to see LSU, he will be better. Think of those two like multi-inning openers for the time being.

We have at least 7 very good pitchers, they aren’t all pitching well yet. Ty will be better, Simpson & Voelker have been great, Christopherson is nasty. Could be a real fun season if we stay healthy.

Last edited:
Morgan in deep trouble - largely self induced. Walk, Balk, E on Pickoff throw (into CF), Walk and Infield Single.
Bases juiced with 1 out.

EDIT: Single scores 2 (both of them got on base via walk). Runners on 1st and 2nd with one out. Morgan's day is over. Voelker is coming in.

That's two consecutive days that Iowa's starting pitcher is limited to 3.1 IP and whose troubles were caused by not throwing strikes. Blah.

EDIT: Voelker induces ground-out. Runners on corners - 2 outs. KSU attempts a double-steal. Moss throws the ball to second base. Runner stops and purposefully gets into a rundown. Iowa tags out the runner but after the runner on the third crosses the plate.

New game. 4-4. Walks kill.
I'll take a pitcher that pitches to contact with movement vs 100mph guessing game. Defense is there for a reason.

I'll take a pitcher that pitches to contact with movement vs 100mph guessing game. Defense is there for a reason.

I don't disagree.

But . . . an effective pitcher who "pitches to contact" has good control and issues very few free passes. Lulling the defense to sleep because he can't throw strikes is generally not a good strategy for any pitcher who strives to get outs through weak contact.

Morgan faced 17 hitters yesterday and threw 75 pitches in 3.1 innings of work. Nearly 5.5 batters faced per inning (more than 2 baserunners per inning). 24 pitchers per inning. That's practically on pace to hit 100 pitches in 4 innings.

He was far better against Quinnipiac last weekend. 50 pitches in 4 innings and only 12 batters faced. But Quinnipiac had a markedly weaker line-up than what KSU put on the field yesterday.

The comparison illustrates the concern I raised in my original post. First, I think that he struggles with command. Second, I think that he has lacks confidence that he can get hitters out when he throws in the zone. Someone who pitches to contact has to have great confidence that hitters won't be able to make good contact on a consistent basis. They can't nibble on the edge of the plate and hope to get the call from the umpire.

Don't get me wrong. I'm rooting for Morgan - hard. I want to see him become a solid and reliable - if not dominant - starter. I remain skeptical.

This upcoming weekend will give us an interesting perspective on Heller's mindset.

If they get the Loras College game in, who starts on Saturday? I'd fully expect Brecht to take the mound on Sunday after his 4 game suspension ends. Does Morgan get the start on Saturday? Or, will it be Simpson? Or, will it be Voelker? Has Heller settled on an unusual "Brecht/Simpson" pairing and "Morgan/Voelker" pairing?

If the Loras College game is postponed, who starts on Saturday and Sunday? Does Morgan keep the Sunday slot with Simpson getting the start on Saturday? Is Voelker the "emergency" long reliever if Morgan or Simpson struggle out of the block?

Early season RPI aside, I would have expected South Alabama to be the toughest of next weekend's opponents. Heller's selection will be interesting.

Getting the Loras game in this week is important. Not only does it free up Brecht to pitch on Sunday, some of Iowa's pitching staff need to get some "live" work in.

Reactions: obfuscating
Will we be ranked tomorrow?.......
Up to #30 from #32 in the coaches' poll.
Not in d1Baseball's top 25.

On the horizon . . .
Texas Tech (8-0) up to #16 in coaches' poll. Up from #21.
Texas Tech (8-0) still at #24 in d1Baseball poll.

Maryland (3-4) down to #25 from #14 in coaches' poll.
Maryland (3-4) down to #18 from #13 in d1Baseball poll.

LSU (6-1) remains #1 in both polls.

No other opponent is currently in d1Baseball's to 25 or the coaches' poll's top 50.

Up to #30 from #32 in the coaches' poll.
Not in d1Baseball's top 25.

On the horizon . . .
Texas Tech (8-0) up to #16 in coaches' poll. Up from #21.
Texas Tech (8-0) still at #24 in d1Baseball poll.

Maryland (3-4) down to #25 from #14 in coaches' poll.
Maryland (3-4) down to #18 from #13 in d1Baseball poll.

LSU (6-1) remains #1 in both polls.

No other opponent is currently in d1Baseball's to 25 or the coaches' poll's top 50.
Baseball is a really weird club to be a part of, I gotta tell ya...........

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
I don't disagree.

But . . . an effective pitcher who "pitches to contact" has good control and issues very few free passes. Lulling the defense to sleep because he can't throw strikes is generally not a good strategy for any pitcher who strives to get outs through weak contact.

Morgan faced 17 hitters yesterday and threw 75 pitches in 3.1 innings of work. Nearly 5.5 batters faced per inning (more than 2 baserunners per inning). 24 pitchers per inning. That's practically on pace to hit 100 pitches in 4 innings.

He was far better against Quinnipiac last weekend. 50 pitches in 4 innings and only 12 batters faced. But Quinnipiac had a markedly weaker line-up than what KSU put on the field yesterday.

The comparison illustrates the concern I raised in my original post. First, I think that he struggles with command. Second, I think that he has lacks confidence that he can get hitters out when he throws in the zone. Someone who pitches to contact has to have great confidence that hitters won't be able to make good contact on a consistent basis. They can't nibble on the edge of the plate and hope to get the call from the umpire.

Don't get me wrong. I'm rooting for Morgan - hard. I want to see him become a solid and reliable - if not dominant - starter. I remain skeptical.

This upcoming weekend will give us an interesting perspective on Heller's mindset.

If they get the Loras College game in, who starts on Saturday? I'd fully expect Brecht to take the mound on Sunday after his 4 game suspension ends. Does Morgan get the start on Saturday? Or, will it be Simpson? Or, will it be Voelker? Has Heller settled on an unusual "Brecht/Simpson" pairing and "Morgan/Voelker" pairing?

If the Loras College game is postponed, who starts on Saturday and Sunday? Does Morgan keep the Sunday slot with Simpson getting the start on Saturday? Is Voelker the "emergency" long reliever if Morgan or Simpson struggle out of the block?

Early season RPI aside, I would have expected South Alabama to be the toughest of next weekend's opponents. Heller's selection will be interesting.

Getting the Loras game in this week is important. Not only does it free up Brecht to pitch on Sunday, some of Iowa's pitching staff need to get some "live" work in.
Morgan has the tools and skill set. The confidence is higher than last year too.

I don't disagree.

Well stated. I feel that brecht still has work to do on control, as well as Morgan. TT will be a tough series, i hope we dont have a lull likenlast year andnlose to a loras...

@chonk raised an interesting issue. Is Heller going to stick with a couple of guys who have very good (Morgan) to great (Brecht) arms but have struggled getting the ball over the plate knowing that Simpson and Voelker are in the bullpen and can provide a quality outing if Morgan/Brecht struggle?

It is an interesting concept but one that I find myself questioning. Yeah, I'd love to "kick start" both Morgan and Brecht but you really run the risk of getting behind early and then playing catch-up with the hope that Simpson and/or Voelker can string a bunch of zeroes. Risky strategy.

With that written, I'm not sure how you can see if Brecht and Morgan can be good/very good/excellent and learn to "pitch" (instead of just throwing) unless you run them out there.

Interesting quandary.

After knocking off #1 LSU, Iowa CANNOT drop one to Loras. That would be a kick in the nuts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT