ADVERTISEMENT

"Iowa Values" Union County style!

The community has to accept some responsibility here. It has to be understood by all, somethings just are not funny in any situation. This is certaibly one of them.
I understand "freedom of speech" better than most here.....but there are certain aspects of this freedom that are just not acceptable in any situation.
Nobody is saying this is funny. Do you blame Milwaukee for Jeffrey Dahmer?

The community has to accept some responsibility here. It has to be understood by all, somethings just are not funny in any situation. This is certaibly one of them.
I understand "freedom of speech" better than most here.....but there are certain aspects of this freedom that are just not acceptable in any situation.

Joel, I would rather have 5 dipshit white supremacists representing the state than you. At least they only posted a picture and didn't actually talk.

No. But I blame Germans for Hitler. And I blame idiots in the South for the KKK.
Your OP blamed the adults in Creston and Union County. Which is it? Us or the South? Your ramblings give me a headache.

and racist...and racism is a LEARNED behavior.

Yep. You tell children who support a the republican party that they are racist long enough, they will eventually begin to believe it and act in that manner. Nice job liberals!

An interesting read from Creston, Ia.

http://www.crestonnews.com/2017/09/...ity-can-heal-wounds-of-hatred/cygccoi/?page=1

My perspective is there is a great deal of, "No, this just can't be!", in the article and a certain amount of wrong headed thinking from the writer himself.

But nothing is going to cure that. As nothing will cure the underlining community identity which allowed five high school seniors to even contemplate what they were doing was just "funny".

I've crossed Creston off as a place I'd ever want to visit. In fact, the article made up my mind.

http://www.crestonnews.com/2017/09/...ity-can-heal-wounds-of-hatred/cygccoi/?page=1

My perspective is there is a great deal of, "No, this just can't be!", in the article and a certain amount of wrong headed thinking from the writer himself.

But nothing is going to cure that. As nothing will cure the underlining community identity which allowed five high school seniors to even contemplate what they were doing was just "funny".

I've crossed Creston off as a place I'd ever want to visit. In fact, the article made up my mind.

If that's what you got from the article, you're not a very intelligent human being.

If that's what you got from the article, you're not a very intelligent human being.

Usually when I read posts from those that say it, I find myself glad I am at least more intelligent than them. You are not an exception.

You and Joel keep trying to

Why do you and Joel insist on blaming the community? The article was about community acceptance and moving forward in a positive way. I'm sure Creston will survive without you gracing us with your presence. However, feel free to visit next weekend for the Hot Air Balloon Festival and you may actually leave with a different view.

I would bet they were being "pranksters" obviously immature and thought maybe they would ruffle a few feathers. I dont think they thought it would go this far but news like this is what this country thrives on

Agreed. ^^ This is stupid behavior, yes, but it really isn't international newsworthy material. Without the internet, memes and cable news to publicize it 24/7, and then people letting it inflame their emotions...it would be recognized for the immature stupidity that it is and dealt with and forgotten. Now, every dumb act has to be the cause for a large number of people getting offended, etc.

You and Joel keep trying to

Why do you and Joel insist on blaming the community? The article was about community acceptance and moving forward in a positive way. I'm sure Creston will survive without you gracing us with your presence. However, feel free to visit next weekend for the Hot Air Balloon Festival and you may actually leave with a different view.

I understand the urge to defend your community. I want to see some steps to show intent to better educate your young and not just excuse these actions away. If you hadn't noticed, it doesn't happen everywhere, it doesn't happen everyday. It isn't just five kids doing something stupid. It's a horrific representation of hate and frankly it's frightening. More so because I AM seeing an urge to defend the town, not an urge to improve it.

Reactions: HawkAttackDial911
Usually when I read posts from those that say it, I find myself glad I am at least more intelligent than them. You are not an exception.

Yea, but you aren't. Drawing weird, illogical assumptions and relying on confirmation bias isn't exactly an indicator of intelligence. It appears that this anonymous message board is often a safe space for misfits whose views aren't exactly in tune with rational people who inhabit the real world.

No, the "community" doesn't need to accept any responsibility here. The community did post those pictures or approve of them, etc. Individuals did...and individuals should be held accountable. The offending parties definitely appear to be on private property somewhere and NOT part of any community, etc.

Yea, but you aren't. Drawing weird, illogical assumptions and relying on confirmation bias isn't exactly an indicator of intelligence. It appears that this anonymous message board is often a safe space for misfits whose views aren't exactly in tune with rational people who inhabit the real world.

Like five high school kids "playing" KKK? Or a community that just blows it off as dumb kids?

Reactions: joelbc1
I understand the urge to defend your community. I want to see some steps to show intent to better educate your young and not just excuse these actions away. If you hadn't noticed, it doesn't happen everywhere, it doesn't happen everyday. It isn't just five kids doing something stupid. It's a horrific representation of hate and frankly it's frightening. More so because I AM seeing an urge to defend the town, not an urge to improve it.

You don't get out much do you?

I take it you've never been to Southern California

Actually I have. From San Diego up to LA. I don't know if about one month spent out there qualifies, but what are you getting at? What is it I missed? I had a great time visiting several communities and found the ethnic diversity exciting and refreshing.

Soooo, if we were to find, say, 5 adolescents of a different race and in a different community somewhere else that were to display their immaturity, lack of sensitivity and stupidity in a similar manner, can I assume that you would conclude that community is horrifically flawed too?

No one that is defending the actions of the 5 dummies...they are just cautioning against making widespread declarations against whole communities as a result.

Reactions: Chuck C
Defending the town and defending these 5 young men are not the same. You're trying to say they represent the entire community which is an ignorant, judgmental assumption. You seem to think we have a class in grade school teaching the positives of the KKK. No one is trying to sweep this under the rug and the town is hurt and embarrassed. People like you and certain media outlets can't see that thru your agenda of blaming the community.

Soooo, if we were to find, say, 5 adolescents of a different race and in a different community somewhere else that were to display their immaturity, lack of sensitivity and stupidity in a similar manner, can I assume that you would conclude that community is horrifically flawed too?

No one that is defending the actions of the 5 dummies...they are just cautioning against making widespread declarations against whole communities as a result.

So, if we pretend Creston was populated by a different race, and five of their high school kids did something just as reprehensible, the question is would I react the same way? Yes. IF it seemed the community was more interested in explaining away the incident as just dumb kids...instead of recognizing there was an environment, culture, that failed to educate these kids to how horrible their actions were.

Reactions: joelbc1
Defending the town and defending these 5 young men are not the same. You're trying to say they represent the entire community which is an ignorant, judgmental assumption. You seem to think we have a class in grade school teaching the positives of the KKK. No one is trying to sweep this under the rug and the town is hurt and embarrassed. People like you and certain media outlets can't see that thru your agenda of blaming the community.

You are putting words in my mouth.

So what is Creston doing to determine how five kids in a small community could all be so screwed up?

Creston, Iowa is a cesspool and horrifically flawed. If it, and it's people were obliterated Earth, the world would be a better place. I have seen hot air balloons and been to Southern California but not at the same time.

Reactions: DanL53
Actually I have. From San Diego up to LA. I don't know if about one month spent out there qualifies, but what are you getting at? What is it I missed? I had a great time visiting several communities and found the ethnic diversity exciting and refreshing.

Southern California has a large skinhead presence. In fact, there are more hate groups in California than any other state in the country.

You are putting words in my mouth.

So what is Creston doing to determine how five kids in a small community could all be so screwed up?
If your looking for a reason why teenage boys make bad decisions, join bad crowds, succumb to peer pressure, get in trouble with their school or the law, embarrass their parents, and even take a horrible photo then I don't have an answer for you.

Creston, Iowa is a cesspool and horrifically flawed. If it, and it's people were obliterated Earth, the world would be a better place. I have seen hot air balloons and been to Southern California but not at the same time.
Have you ever actually been here? And what Nirvana do you call home?

Southern California has a large skinhead presence. In fact, there are more hate groups in California than any other state in the country.

Do you think that population may have something to do with it?

If your looking for a reason why teenage boys make bad decisions, join bad crowds, succumb to peer pressure, get in trouble with their school or the law, embarrass their parents, and even take a horrible photo then I don't have an answer for you.

I'm not. I'm wondering why Creston isn't (and I'd prefer to educated on how it is) trying to figure out how five of it's young dressed up like the KKK and burnt a cross? Or why two of them hung a raccoon? And now I'm wondering how you can equate that with bad decisions, bad crowds, getting in trouble at school or embarrassing their parents.

Yes, kids all over get in trouble. But again, we don't see THIS kind of behavior everyday. Why doesn't that bother you? Or does it? What is your community doing about it? Anything?

This has all the makings of being in Steve King's district. Maybe an annex is in the future.

I'm not. I'm wondering why Creston isn't (and I'd prefer to educated on how it is) trying to figure out how five of it's young dressed up like the KKK and burnt a cross? Or why two of them hung a raccoon? And now I'm wondering how you can equate that with bad decisions, bad crowds, getting in trouble at school or embarrassing their parents.

Yes, kids all over get in trouble. But again, we don't see THIS kind of behavior everyday. Why doesn't that bother you? Or does it? What is your community doing about it? Anything?
It absolutely bothers me and I thought I had been clear about that. But, your underlying tone has been to blame the community for the action of 5 kids and I think that is inherently wrong. Creston cannot come up with a course or program that will eliminate racism or explain the actions of these individuals. As nobody could. Yes, there is some "kids being kids" excuses being used but I promise you most in town are taking this very seriously. What I'm doing about it, and I hope other parents are too, is having serious, open discussions with my kids about what is right and wrong and how we treat other people no matter their race, religion etc. This is also being discussed in the classrooms. There is no magic formula here and I think that's what you're looking for.

It absolutely bothers me and I thought I had been clear about that. But, your underlying tone has been to blame the community for the action of 5 kids and I think that is inherently wrong. Creston cannot come up with a course or program that will eliminate racism or explain the actions of these individuals. As nobody could. Yes, there is some "kids being kids" excuses being used but I promise you most in town are taking this very seriously. What I'm doing about it, and I hope other parents are too, is having serious, open discussions with my kids about what is right and wrong and how we treat other people no matter their race, religion etc. This is also being discussed in the classrooms. There is no magic formula here and I think that's what you're looking for.

Well said...don't let the peckers get under your skin. They master in distorting situations, to suit their biases and preferences, casting wide nets of condemnation and little common sense.

I know there is no magical formula. And I know I'm just an online lookyloo.

But here are some things I wish I was reading about:

Creston is holding a Community event with speakers from several minority groups. Perhaps a number of these.
Creston School District (donations welcome) to take kids to more ethnically diverse locations to meet other kids at other schools. (Somebody fix this idea.)
My small town Iowa Church sometimes hosted or visited an African American Church...shared worship service. Picnic after.

With respect, and I know I sound upset but the thing is I am just concerned, back in the 60's my Dad and all of us were poor as poor gets. Living in a small Iowa town after Dad had tried jobs in other small Iowa towns and always seemed to be the guy promised big things but they never came. We lived across from the City Park and on a particular day an African-American family was in the park, and an older brother watched the town cop tell them they had until nightfall to get out of town. (Their car was being worked on.) Dad heard of this and went to the park, talked with them, eventually they were in the house having a meal and preparations were made to let them stay if their car wasn't done by nightfall.

Dirt poor understood being treated like dirt. Funny thing is, a few years later and that ship not only came in but Dad was making what must have been among if not the highest wages in that town. But that's another story.

Dad also had a young child from inner Chicago stay with us in the summers as part of a Civil Rights Program.

I grew up hating racism because I was taught to hate it.

See how that works? Not to you, but to the town, quit bitchin' and get to teachin'.

Dan, I think its critical to visit places like that. Yes, the KKK came from the South. I went to Mississippi a few years ago. Not Jackson, I mean small town Mississippi. Building understanding is critical to progressing.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain

Reactions: DanL53
Yep. You tell children who support a the republican party that they are racist long enough, they will eventually begin to believe it and act in that manner. Nice job liberals!

From the party of personal responsibility ... "the liberals made me be racist." lol

I find it weird and Ironic that people are blasting the town of Creston, IA for a handful of dumb kids.

Why has nobody denounced the entire Ferguson, Baltimore, and Minneapolis areas? I mean, those towns had racist ADULTS in the streets talking about killing cops and "whitey"?

You didn't see people denounce those towns???? You must not read much.

No not really. Actually, most media outlets heaped large amounts of praise on BLM and other "protesters".
I heard black protesters blaming local oppression on....wait for it....systematized racism. The same system that had a black President, black DOJ, black Att. General, black mayor, black police chief, 9 of 15 black city council members.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT