ADVERTISEMENT

"Iowa Values" Union County style!

I know there is no magical formula. And I know I'm just an online lookyloo.

But here are some things I wish I was reading about:

Creston is holding a Community event with speakers from several minority groups. Perhaps a number of these.
Creston School District (donations welcome) to take kids to more ethnically diverse locations to meet other kids at other schools. (Somebody fix this idea.)
My small town Iowa Church sometimes hosted or visited an African American Church...shared worship service. Picnic after.

With respect, and I know I sound upset but the thing is I am just concerned, back in the 60's my Dad and all of us were poor as poor gets. Living in a small Iowa town after Dad had tried jobs in other small Iowa towns and always seemed to be the guy promised big things but they never came. We lived across from the City Park and on a particular day an African-American family was in the park, and an older brother watched the town cop tell them they had until nightfall to get out of town. (Their car was being worked on.) Dad heard of this and went to the park, talked with them, eventually they were in the house having a meal and preparations were made to let them stay if their car wasn't done by nightfall.

Dirt poor understood being treated like dirt. Funny thing is, a few years later and that ship not only came in but Dad was making what must have been among if not the highest wages in that town. But that's another story.

Dad also had a young child from inner Chicago stay with us in the summers as part of a Civil Rights Program.

I grew up hating racism because I was taught to hate it.

See how that works? Not to you, but to the town, quit bitchin' and get to teachin'.
I'm glad you were raised to hate racism and your dad experienced success. My dad had a similar story.

We are in day 3 of this mess and I'm sure things in the school system and within the community will take place in the future that may satisfy your wishes. There has been discussions, just nothing definite yet. The church thing already happens in certain congregations But know this, Creston is no different than thousands of communities in Iowa and the Midwest. I don't think its on purpose, but you've come off as a judgmental outsider that wants to paint Creston as a backwards hate supporting town. This is far from the truth. But you will never realize your errors because you stated earlier that you would never step foot in Creston because you're still trying to blame an entire community for the actions of 5 kids.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Have never lived in Creston, but what I know is it has a fantastic superintendent of schools, and the coach and school officials did the right thing acting quickly and kicking the five off the team. Really makes no sense blaming a town for the actions of a few.

I'm glad you were raised to hate racism and your dad experienced success. My dad had a similar story.

We are in day 3 of this mess and I'm sure things in the school system and within the community will take place in the future that may satisfy your wishes. There has been discussions, just nothing definite yet. The church thing already happens in certain congregations But know this, Creston is no different than thousands of communities in Iowa and the Midwest. I don't think its on purpose, but you've come off as a judgmental outsider that wants to paint Creston as a backwards hate supporting town. This is far from the truth. But you will never realize your errors because you stated earlier that you would never step foot in Creston because you're still trying to blame an entire community for the actions of 5 kids.

Yeah, I did come off pretty harsh. Mostly out of my disgust at these kids. I will be paying attention to see what measures take place. I might even change my mind about the town.

Yeah, I did come off pretty harsh. Mostly out of my disgust at these kids. I will be paying attention to see what measures take place. I might even change my mind about the town.
Fair enough, have a good weekend. Go Hawks!

I find it weird and Ironic that people are blasting the town of Creston, IA for a handful of dumb kids.

Why has nobody denounced the entire Ferguson, Baltimore, and Minneapolis areas? I mean, those towns had racist ADULTS in the streets talking about killing cops and "whitey"?
I think St. Louis and Baltimore have enjoyed rather negative "race" reps for decades. One of the first things I learned groeing up is that St. Louois is a southern city.

Your OP blamed the adults in Creston and Union County. Which is it? Us or the South? Your ramblings give me a headache.
Parents and community certain have some responsibility here. The school appears to have dealt with the issue promptly and correctly. I would not want any of these yahoos representing my school or community in any manner until they cleanse themselves of this transgression.

Reactions: DanL53
Yep. You tell children who support a the republican party that they are racist long enough, they will eventually begin to believe it and act in that manner. Nice job liberals!
I refuse to take any responsibility,as a liberal. Parents needs to step up though. As I have said, racism is a LEARNED behavior. Schools, churches and home are the big teachers in young life.

No, the "community" doesn't need to accept any responsibility here. The community did post those pictures or approve of them, etc. Individuals did...and individuals should be held accountable. The offending parties definitely appear to be on private property somewhere and NOT part of any community, etc.
IT is up to the community to disparage all such behavior.

x6cm7t.gif

The community has to accept some responsibility here. It has to be understood by all, somethings just are not funny in any situation. This is certaibly one of them.
I understand "freedom of speech" better than most here.....but there are certain aspects of this freedom that are just not acceptable in any situation.

You are a buffoon. Let's say 5 years from now, a high school kid where you live goes off the reservation and kills 10 people at the high school. Are you going to issue a statement taking responsibility?

You've said a lot of stupid shit, but this might take the cake...

You are a buffoon. Let's say 5 years from now, a high school kid where you live goes off the reservation and kills 10 people at the high school. Are you going to issue a statement taking responsibility?

You've said a lot of stupid shit, but this might take the cake...
If he targets a race, then yes I would. Racism is LEARNED. Who teaches their children any more than parents/family. If I was related to the murdered in your make believe crime, I would feel some responsibility for the act.
Thank you for the kind words Governator. Pissing you off proves I am on the right track.

If he targets a race, then yes I would. Racism is LEARNED. Who teaches their children any more than parents/family. If I was related to the murdered in your make believe crime, I would feel some responsibility for the act.
Thank you for the kind words Governator. Pissing you off proves I am on the right track.

So you'd feel responsible for their actions even though you don't know they existed until you read the article in a newspaper. Am I getting the gist of this?

So you'd feel responsible for their actions even though you don't know they existed until you read the article in a newspaper. Am I getting the gist of this?
I'd be looking for some answers. The answers would lie somewhere within the community and the family. But don't go parsing my words.....

I will note that ONE of the families of one of the children involved released a presser today accepting responsibility for the actions of their child and admitted they were inappropriate and APOLOGIZED to the community for the incident. That is one family stepping up to the plate. That is one family doing their job. That is one family who apparently "Gets it!" Perhaps there is hope for Creston / Union County, Ioway.
By the way....the football coach and HS deserve kudos too for acting the part of adults and doing the right thing by removing these lads from the local football team.

I'd be looking for some answers. The answers would lie somewhere within the community and the family. But don't go parsing my words.....

I will note that ONE of the families of one of the children involved released a presser today accepting responsibility for the actions of their child and admitted they were inappropriate and APOLOGIZED to the community for the incident. That is one family stepping up to the plate. That is one family doing their job. That is one family who apparently "Gets it!" Perhaps there is hope for Creston / Union County, Ioway.
By the way....the football coach and HS deserve kudos too for acting the part of adults and doing the right thing by removing these lads from the local football team.
What you conveniently left out, so it would fit your narrative, was that this family does not teach hate at home. They stepped up and took responsibility but they did not raise their son to think this way. They are not to blame and neither is the community. My point this whole time.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan

I'm not parsing anything. You said the community should feel responsible for this.

Your 2nd paragraph means nothing. That's the family apologizing, not a concerned resident of the community demanding answers.

What you conveniently left out, so it would fit your narrative, was that this family does not teach hate at home. They stepped up and took responsibility but they did not raise their son to think this way. They are not to blame and neither is the community. My point this whole time.

Just you watch though, if you raise a Rhodes Scholar, Joel will be at the front of the line to take credit for it.

Dan, please read the article in the DM Register by Kyle Munson, focusing on the team's response to our QB Kylan. It might give you a new perspective on Creston. Sorry, not smart enough to link.

Thanks @tstalker4 it does sound like Creston has a lot of work to do. Something about somebody getting threats because they were gay? (Earlier article) A lady from what, five years ago, moving because of racism? And now of course this?

I will keep my fingers crossed your community fights the battle that is coming to educate people. I was uplifted by the comment about hugs along the father's route. There's hope, there's work to do, though there's nothing that can be done about yesterday...I sincerely believe that tomorrow Creston can start to become the example of how more than tolerance, but actual enjoyment, of diversity can exist in small town Iowa.

My best hopes, and no more stone throwing.

Reactions: tstalker4
See my post above. To date, one family has stepped up. I disagree. Racism is a learned behavior. This behavior was if nothing else, tolerated by parents, adults and community to some extent. The family and to the community bear some responsibility in this manner. I never claimed the parents or the community committed the offense. They do deserve some of the responsibility, though.

See my post above. To date, one family has stepped up. I disagree. Racism is a learned behavior. This behavior was if nothing else, tolerated by parents, adults and community to some extent. The family and to the community bear some responsibility in this manner. I never claimed the parents or the community committed the offense. They do deserve some of the responsibility, though.
I give up Joel. Please let me know what community you reside in so I can check the police reports. I would like to return the favor and let you know how disappointed I am in you and your neighbors if there is ever any racism, murders, rape, etc in your general geographical area. Then maybe you can let me know how your community failed in preventing it.

It absolutely bothers me and I thought I had been clear about that. But, your underlying tone has been to blame the community for the action of 5 kids and I think that is inherently wrong. Creston cannot come up with a course or program that will eliminate racism or explain the actions of these individuals. As nobody could. Yes, there is some "kids being kids" excuses being used but I promise you most in town are taking this very seriously. What I'm doing about it, and I hope other parents are too, is having serious, open discussions with my kids about what is right and wrong and how we treat other people no matter their race, religion etc. This is also being discussed in the classrooms. There is no magic formula here and I think that's what you're looking for.

The community now has the responsibility to correct this displayed attitude. Creston/Union County have had their task defined for them. Action by the community and not excuses for the behavior are what is needed now.

The community now has the responsibility to correct this displayed attitude. Creston/Union County have had their task defined for them. Action by the community and not excuses for the behavior are what is needed now.
This I agree with, as soon as we figure it out we'll spread the word to all small communities in the Midwest and make the world a better place.

Actually, I expect Creston to take a hard look at itself and make some changes in the school system regarding tolerance and what is expected. Most parents will use this as an educational tool as well.

But it doesn't change the fact that in your OP you blamed the adults in Union County for allowing the picture to be taken. Which was stupid.

This I agree with, as soon as we figure it out we'll spread the word to all small communities in the Midwest and make the world a better place.

Actually, I expect Creston to take a hard look at itself and make some changes in the school system regarding tolerance and what is expected. Most parents will use this as an educational tool as well.

But it doesn't change the fact that in your OP you blamed the adults in Union County for allowing the picture to be taken. Which was stupid.

A lot of hot heads (or just less than careful in the words chosen) on both sides when this first came out. I certainly was one of them.

IMO, that's a good thing. Shows how much those pictures repulse people. I suppose putting myself in your shoes, tstalker4, I'd feel like outsiders were pouring it on and I'd get defensive about it. Now that I've calmed down, my faith in Iowan's to fix things remains strong.

Your community will no doubt react over time, if left alone to focus on the issue, and Creston will become stronger.

Please update us about any activism that promotes the education of the community. Knock our blocks off with info that shames us for being so quick to react.

Reactions: tstalker4

Community "blame"...I define as a failure by the community to properly guide these children in their racial attitudes. That failure enabled these youths to think it appropriate to take the picture. Parents, family, churches and schools would all be part of any community. Especially a "small town Iowa" community that sports it's "Iowa values."
Racists are like cockroaches....you only see a small percentage of them when they are exposed. Creston/Union County Iowa is not that different from most in Iowa. We all need to take a hard look at how we view others of different colors and ethnicities. Racism is the #1 problem in this great nation of ours...it has been all my life..and I bet it goes back far beyond that.
So ts, I am sorry you think I am so stupid. To me the problem and its solution is so painfully obvious. I apologize for taking up your valuable time. I suggest you put me on "ignore" because I go off on this infantile and immature type of stuff all the time....and I love to gig all those pristine "Iowa Values"....Folks that live in glass houses should NOT throw stones.

Community "blame"...I define as a failure by the community to properly guide these children in their racial attitudes. That failure enabled these youths to think it appropriate to take the picture. Parents, family, churches and schools would all be part of any community. Especially a "small town Iowa" community that sports it's "Iowa values."
Racists are like cockroaches....you only see a small percentage of them when they are exposed. Creston/Union County Iowa is not that different from most in Iowa. We all need to take a hard look at how we view others of different colors and ethnicities. Racism is the #1 problem in this great nation of ours...it has been all my life..and I bet it goes back far beyond that.
So ts, I am sorry you think I am so stupid. To me the problem and its solution is so painfully obvious. I apologize for taking up your valuable time. I suggest you put me on "ignore" because I go off on this infantile and immature type of stuff all the time....and I love to gig all those pristine "Iowa Values"....Folks that live in glass houses should NOT throw stones.
I don't think you're stupid, a little judgmental, but not stupid. I don't agree that the community is at fault. Yes, racism, is learned. But, have you ever heard of the Internet? Books? TV? I know a few of these kids and their parents so I realize that I can't be completely objective. But they were not taught this at home.

If the solution is so "painfully obvious" then what is it? Please solve racism for us all.

Also, no ignore button for you. I listen to all opinions even if I don't agree with them. Time to watch the Hawks. Have a good weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT