ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs. Pitt Predictions

mustang_horsepower

HB All-State
Sep 21, 2013
Being a night game, and coming off emotional week and emotional win, I see the Hawks really wanting to make a statement under the lights. Pitt narrowly escaped Bo bo and Youngstown st. Beat Akron by 17... If ott and daniels are out, we need to adapt, and dbs really gotta step up. Play smart, tough, and with an attitude we win 27 to 17.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Pitt and Narduzzi scare me.

Narduzzi knows how to dial things up defensively and Pitt will be the best rushing team Iowa has seen so far even without Conner. It looks like Peterman the new Pitt QB is a better passer and can throw the deep ball.

Ott and Daniels are in question and Iowa is coming off an emotional win.

Pitt - 21 Iowa - 17

Well I am sure we will be looking at the Akron tape close as Pitt only ran for about 125 yds and total yds of about 300.
I think the nite start is a tremendous boost for us as a 11 am start after an emotional week would be tougher. A game under the lights I think the lads will be pumped up.

No way this Iowa team loses this game. Ain't gonna happen, KF or no KF. GD or no GD. Beathard and the boys are dialed in and will put together one of the best 60-minute performances Kinnick has seen from the hometown guys in years. Kinnick goes crazy under the new permanent lights and sends Narduzzi back to steel town wondering why he left MSU.

No way this Iowa team loses this game. Ain't gonna happen, KF or no KF. GD or no GD. Beathard and the boys are dialed in and will put together one of the best 60-minute performances Kinnick has seen from the hometown guys in years. Kinnick goes crazy under the new permanent lights and sends Narduzzi back to steel town wondering why he left MSU.
you convinced me.. Iowa 99 Pitt 3

This is going to be a tough game. Pitt returns a lot of players and Narduzzi knows what he is doing on defense. I can see this being a pretty low scoring game. I can see Iowa winning something like 17-13.

I think we're under 30 pts without a defensive/Special Teams score. I'll take the Hawks, 20-17. But it's Monday, so I'll change my mind a few times.

Kinnick will be rocking again under the lights. On the road or an 11 am kickoff i would fear Iowa would come out flat. I don't think Pitt has the horses to win a night game here, and let's not forget that CJ torched Pitt in last year's game. I'll go with 31-21 with a Marshall Koehn touchdown

Pitt is a much better team than Illinois State or Story County Community College, even without Connor. If Iowa plays with the level of focus and enthusiasm they've demonstrated the last two games, then I like Iowa to win. But if Iowa comes out flat and lethargic, Pitt certainly has the ability to curb stomp the Hawkeyes, just like they did for most of the first half in last year's game.

But I do think this Iowa team is dialed in from the start and that they clearly respond to CJ's leadership. With Connor out and Pitt's QB situation still up in the air, I'll take Iowa to win 24-18.

Iowa: 34
Pitt: 13

I think our defense wreaks havoc on them without Conner in the backfield. Not having Ott will hurt but in the second half against Iowa State, the D Line really played well.

The match-up is a continued ramping up in terms of degree-of-difficulty.

Pitt has a better front 7 on D than ISU ... however, like ISU, they're going to try to pressure Beathard quite a lot. Unlike ISU, Pitt's D has been pretty strong against the run. I don't care what way you slice it - their D held Akron to just over 100 yards. That's just plain impressive.

Furthermore, Narduzzi knows Iowa. Of course, on the flip side, Iowa also knows Narduzzi. Of course, it's not yet clear if Narduzzi has all the pieces yet on the D to run his schemes like clock-work. However, all the same, it should be a pretty stingy, tough group.

The main "weakness" that Pitt may have is against the pass. Will Iowa be able to exploit their secondary and will we be able to exploit mismatches against their LBs?

Pitt easily has the best OL we'll face until the Wisconsin game. Furthermore, they're a big group too. With Ott likely out with injury ... that ramps up my concern with regard to how well Hesse will be able to hold up. I've been impressed with how the young man has fared so far ... however, given that he's young, he still has a significant learning curve yet to overcome. The good news is that Ott will invariably help him to prep and help him to keep focused on the "little"-picture.

If there's any saving grace, it's that Pitt's QB situation seems somewhat unsettled, the O is still learning the new system, and they're down their top stud RB.

However, in spite of the above considerations, the Pitt QB still picked Iowa apart last year. Also, Boyd is an impressive, truly-elite WR. Lastly, while young, they obviously still have very capable RBs. Without question, Pitt will try to run the ball against Iowa ... and, I'm willing to bet that they'll have some success. If Ott were healthy - I'd be willing to be more bold about our ability to shut down their running game - however, without him, I think that we'll be able to slow them down.

If Iowa can limit Boyd and slow down the Pitt rushing attack - Pitt won't score much. However, the problem is that Pitt has the sort of D that can limit Iowa's scoring too ... particularly if Daniels is suffering from ankle issues. This may prove to be a game that rests on the arm and legs of Beathard ... hopefully he continues to improve and impress!

As it stands - I think that this game is a push. Even if they had Connor - if Iowa had Ott and Daniels, I'd give Iowa the slight edge.

In the offseason they became a team. In the second half of the ISU game they became a family.

Iowa will dominate this game, they have chemistry.

31 - 17

You know what - you very well could be highlighting the intangible that could make the entire difference in the game. This is probably the main factor that has me secretly favoring Iowa - even though I don't have any logical argument to support it.

Being a night game, and coming off emotional week and emotional win, I see the Hawks really wanting to make a statement under the lights. Pitt narrowly escaped Bo bo and Youngstown st. Beat Akron by 17... If ott and daniels are out, we need to adapt, and dbs really gotta step up. Play smart, tough, and with an attitude we win 27 to 17.
Pittsburgh 24 at Iowa 28. No idea how it happens. GO HAWKEYES!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT