ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa was never a top 5 team

uiowa08

HR Legend
Sep 18, 2004
Never understood why Iowa was ever rated so high. Top 20? Probably so. But not top 5, not even close. You need defense to be that good, and more than one great player. Wieskamp is a good player, but there just isn't enough around Garza to warrant the hype. When you literally can't stop anyone from scoring and Minnesota blows your doors off with offense, you know you ain't close to elite. Iowa is a good team, probably a 4 or 5 seed, and maybe they see sweet sixteen if things fall their way in the bracket. But Fran isn't the coach, and this isn't the personnel, to do anything signiciant.

Never understood why Iowa was ever rated so high. Top 20? Probably so. But not top 5, not even close. You need defense to be that good, and more than one great player. Wieskamp is a good player, but there just isn't enough around Garza to warrant the hype. When you literally can't stop anyone from scoring and Minnesota blows your doors off with offense, you know you ain't close to elite. Iowa is a good team, probably a 4 or 5 seed, and maybe they see sweet sixteen if things fall their way in the bracket. But Fran isn't the coach, and this isn't the personnel, to do anything signiciant.

Why lose your shit after every game?

Win the tournament is just a dream but like most dreams you forget them when you wake up.
Iowa is a good team just not the level we need them to be.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Saying Iowa is a top 20 team is losing my shit?

Fran has shown too many times over the years he isnt an elite coach. Too many Iowa teams have underachieved and regressed as the year progresses. He is very bad at in game adjustments. Coaching is so so important to college basketball.

The team is good, and can be a 4 seed in the tournament with some luck, but talk of an actual national championship is just insane. To think Iowa is anywhere near the level of a Gonzaga, Villanova, Kansas, etc is just naive and not realistic.

Iowa could make a decent run in NCAA tourney, maybe Sweet 16 or even Elite8. Fran doesn't adust his lineups/style much and defense is afterthought. I think they are good enough to finish 3rd or tied for 3rd in conference. They are just too susceptible to random 3pt shooter going off and Fran will sit back in his zone and let it happen.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
You need nba level talent to win it all. Iowa has no nba players. What teams have won it all over the last 15 or 20 years without nba talent? I haven't looked but I can't imagine it is many.

You need nba level talent to win it all. Iowa has no nba players. What teams have won it all over the last 15 or 20 years without nba talent? I haven't looked but I can't imagine it is many.

Zero teams win it all without NBA talent. Usually multiple NBA players

Not sure why anybody thought a championship was even remotely a possibility. It was a dream, nothing more

Iowa has as good a chance as anyone to win the tourney.
Wish that was true, but no. A head coach who is clueless about defense. No idea how to defend screen and roll and a horrible zone defense concept. Fran has never valued defense and that is why he will never win anything of substance.
Rating Iowa in top 5 only set the fan base up for disappointment.

Reactions: Bee93
They're a marginal Top 25 team, which will be evident at the end of January.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Razorhawk2
Enough on the Fran bashing here good lord. We missed ft's, they made a bunch of BS. A few things could have and should have been done differently but this is on the upper classmen players.

Reactions: mooresville hawk
Ilinois has lost 3 times this year. Stop whining. This isn't football.

To damn good teams...? Let’s not act like we’re floundering, lol. Either way, your fans are SERIOUSLY overreacting. You were never gonna go through the B1G and dominate, but people are seriously questioning if Iowa will make the TOURNAMENT? Haha, GMAFB. Iowa will beat anyone when they’re clicking and they’re more than capable of this type of game, too. That’s just how it goes when you rely on shooting and don’t have an elite D.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT