ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa was never a top 5 team

To damn good teams...? Let’s not act like we’re floundering, lol. Either way, your fans are SERIOUSLY overreacting. You were never gonna go through the B1G and dominate, but people are seriously questioning if Iowa will make the TOURNAMENT? Haha, GMAFB. Iowa will beat anyone when they’re clicking and they’re more than capable of this type of game, too. That’s just how it goes when you rely on shooting and don’t have an elite D.

Yep. You're right on. Iowa will make the tournament all right. Probably be a 6 seed and lose in the second round.

Reactions: NAVO
To damn good teams...? Let’s not act like we’re floundering, lol. Either way, your fans are SERIOUSLY overreacting. You were never gonna go through the B1G and dominate, but people are seriously questioning if Iowa will make the TOURNAMENT? Haha, GMAFB. Iowa will beat anyone when they’re clicking and they’re more than capable of this type of game, too. That’s just how it goes when you rely on shooting and don’t have an elite D.

Well put. Just a frustrating game to watch from start to finish.... Then have it slip through your fingers late.

Message boards are ALL gas and then ALL brake.

Major mood swings

You need nba level talent to win it all. Iowa has no nba players. What teams have won it all over the last 15 or 20 years without nba talent? I haven't looked but I can't imagine it is many.

Wisconsin showed the template to make deep NCAA runs with similar talent. You play slower, play man defense, and don't get into running game because all the other elite teams have better athletes.

Wisconsin finished 2nd
Garza is better college level center than Frank Kamminski.
JoeW is somewhat in ball park of Sam Dekker.
Fredrick is pretty close in talent to the PG on that team.
JoeT is a difference maker.

Bo Ryan
1) wouldn't let JBO slide on defense and he wouldn't play if he shot like has so far this season
2) Bo Ryan would have his guys flop a lot on defense and draw more charges
3) They wouldn't sit back in a zone and let some random 3pt shooter go off with no one in
his face.

CMAC wouldn't be getting 34 minutes because he can't score and teams don't bother
to guard him. Cmac does a lot of good things, but he can't shoot.

I’ve said since the beginning, Iowa’s probably the 20th best team in the country.

Nothing more, nothing less.

You can’t give up 75 on a good night & 115 on a bad night. That’s not a championship or top 10 team.

This is correct. People don't like to hear it, but when you just don't play good defense, you end up losing games you have no business losing. Tonight was a bit odd in that all they had to do was make more free throws at the end and they end up escaping with a win. But the defense for huge stretches of the game was just bad. No other way to put it. Iowa is not a bad team. Barring a total collapse or a major injury, they are going to the tournament. But they will need good matchups and breaks to make it to a Sweet 16. It's theoretically possible to go deeper if you make it that far, but games like tonight show Iowa could lose to any NCAA tournament team because they really don't defend.

But conference title is all but gone. If you can't beat Minnesota on the road, there are many other road losses coming. 11-9, 12-8 or 10-10 is my best guess at conference record.

Connor led the nation in assist to turnover ratio and is still elite there. I don't like Connor and Jobo at same time though much. Joe T needs more minutes.

I'm not sure how this digresses into bashing Connor McC. He wasn't the problem. But let's hold off on the elite stuff. He moves the ball to the open guy and doesn't turn it over, there's value in that.

And really, after the first 15 minutes, Iowa gave better effort. I do not understand why Fran didn't foul at the end of regulation and not let Carr shoot the 3. There is no logical explanation for letting a team shoot a 3 when you are ahead by 3 at the end of the game.

Reactions: 24 so far
I'm not sure how this digresses into bashing Connor McC. He wasn't the problem. But let's hold off on the elite stuff. He moves the ball to the open guy and doesn't turn it over, there's value in that.

And really, after the first 15 minutes, Iowa gave better effort. I do not understand why Fran didn't foul at the end of regulation and not let Carr shoot the 3. There is no logical explanation for letting a team shoot a 3 when you are ahead by 3 at the end of the game.
Make the fts Fredrick. Joe T too but had made 4 straight.

We have too many holes right now. Garza has to get 30 most nights, Wieskamp and Fredrick have to combine for 40 in order for Iowa to be in the game. CMac and JBo have really struggled shooting the ball for the most part this season against the better teams. The way we play defense, we cannot afford to have only three scorers on the floor. What happened to Nunge tonight, did he even play the second half? I know JBo hit some clutch shots to win games in the past, but that was nearly two seasons ago. He doesn't have the ability to go coast to coast in under 6 seconds and get off a good shot. Kinda looked like they hadn't practiced late game situations very much for both offense and defense. The number of FT's we shot combined with our offensive rebounding should be been enough to win the game. Defensively you can't leave guys open for uncontested 3's and just hope they miss. Yeah, Johnson probably never hit 3's like that again -- but that's basketball -- when a guy is feeling it you don't keep losing him in the half court. It just looked like after Iowa made their run to take over the lead fairly early in the second half, they eased up a little and give Minnesota credit, they came back when I thought they were finished. The Big Ten looks to be highly competitive and if you are gonna win it, you are gonna have to play a complete game.

The only fans I find more annoying than fans who complain incessantly about our teams are fans who complain incessantly about other fans.

Anyway, agree with the OP. Not a top 5 team. Probably top 15. Good team, but far from great and a long shot to reach the Final 4. Bummer, because we expected more this year. But this team has been exposed.

Iowa is a top 20 team. It is not a top 5 team.

Iowa will make the Sweet 16 at best and will be exposed. No way this team will compete with Nova, Kansas, Baylor and the Zags (oh yeah they already destroyed Iowa)

Saying Iowa is a top 20 team is losing my shit?

Fran has shown too many times over the years he isnt an elite coach. Too many Iowa teams have underachieved and regressed as the year progresses. He is very bad at in game adjustments. Coaching is so so important to college basketball.

The team is good, and can be a 4 seed in the tournament with some luck, but talk of an actual national championship is just insane. To think Iowa is anywhere near the level of a Gonzaga, Villanova, Kansas, etc is just naive and not realistic.
You listed three teams lol. Do yourself a favor and go watch some other basketball around the country. This team is every bit a top ten team. Wisky lost at Marquette. Wvu beat Iowa state by 5 at home. Nova lost to va tech. Kansas beat ndsu by 4. It’s college basketball, this crap happens every damn day. It’d be even more common if every top ten team had to travel on Christmas Day and play. Outside of Baylor and Gonzaga this team is as good as everyone. Some of you need to engage in alcohol intake more.

This is true. It's extremely difficult to be a top 20 team, let alone top 5, when playing with a defensive efficiency nearly outside the top 100.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
As far as I'm concerned, with Gonzaga out there, everyone else is playing for second place and if we're on offensively, and at least playing defense as hard as we can, I think we've got just as good a shot as the next guy. We've all seen what happened last night happen before. Some guy loses his mind and can't miss. We played decent defense on some of those shots. It's happened to us and by us (ask Clown U about Garza). And it's happened to every other team as well.

Quit trying to make us feel better. Iowa fans are desperate for greatness and will burn everything down if we don't get it.

Well we’re still top 5 in Kenpom right behind Wisconsin. So the computers still think we’re pretty good. Maybe we won’t end the season top 5 but wouldn’t count us out yet. We let one get away but it was a fluke loss. Odds of us losing a 7 pt lead with 40 seconds have to be astronomical. We will be fine.

Never understood why Iowa was ever rated so high. Top 20? Probably so. But not top 5, not even close. You need defense to be that good, and more than one great player. Wieskamp is a good player, but there just isn't enough around Garza to warrant the hype. When you literally can't stop anyone from scoring and Minnesota blows your doors off with offense, you know you ain't close to elite. Iowa is a good team, probably a 4 or 5 seed, and maybe they see sweet sixteen if things fall their way in the bracket. But Fran isn't the coach, and this isn't the personnel, to do anything signiciant.

I have to agree. I think it was based on the peak potential of returning players plus anticipated development of newcomers.

Iowa was never a top 10 team either. At this point they MIGHT be a top 20 team. They are right on the edge. Still looking like 5 seed territory and probably 2nd round exit in the tournament. My original post is more relevant and correct than ever.

Iowa was never a top 10 team either. At this point they MIGHT be a top 20 team. They are right on the edge. Still looking like 5 seed territory and probably 2nd round exit in the tournament. My original post is more relevant and correct than ever.
Yeah, they're not a top 10 team. That was predicated on an incorrect assumption: that they could play at least mediocre defense.
I didn't think they could, and so far they haven't.

Reactions: JJ13579
200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT