ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa WBB 2024 Recruiting Thread

BraydonRoberts5

HR MVP
Staff
Nov 21, 2017
Signing Day for the class of 2024 is November 8, 2023, meaning we're approximately 4 and a half months away. I initially didn't start a thread for the class because Iowa has 4 signings in the class and it wasn't clear there would be anymore relevant news. Now there is, so it's worth posting the thread.

Commitments
Ava Heiden
Basic Information: 6'4' center from Sherwood, Oregon
ESPN Ranking: 32
Offer List: Oregon, Oregon State, Utah, Washington, Washington State, Nebraska

Teagan Mallegni
Basic Information: 6'1' guard/forward from McFarland, Wisconsin
ESPN Ranking: 62
Offer List: Ohio State, Duke, North Carolina, Oregon, Wisconsin, Kansas
Premium Article on Mallegni: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/can-new-commit-teagan-mallegni-be-the-next-mckenna-warnock-

Taylor Stremlow
Basic Information: 5'10' guard from Verona, Wisconsin
ESPN Ranking: 71
Offer List: Iowa State, Kansas State, Marquette, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Penn State

Callie Levin
Basic Information: 5'9' guard from Solon, Iowa
ESPN Ranking: not in Top 100
Offer List: Arkansas, Marquette, Purdue, Utah, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Drake
Premium Article on Levin: https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/wbb-scouting-notebook-callie-levin-vs-dubuque-wahlert.414065/

Players Iowa is Still Recruiting
Britt Prince
Basic Information: 5'11' point guard from Omaha, Nebraska
ESPN Ranking: 25
Schools Visited: Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Indiana, Creighton, Nebraska, North Carolina, NC State, Oregon State, Oregon, UCLA, maybe more

Aaliyah Guyton
Basic Information: 5'8' point guard from Peoria, Illinois
ESPN Ranking: 60
Top 5 Schools: Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, Michigan State, Pitt

Signing Day for the class of 2024 is November 8, 2023, meaning we're approximately 4 and a half months away. I initially didn't start a thread for the class because Iowa has 4 signings in the class and it wasn't clear there would be anymore relevant news. Now there is, so it's worth posting the thread.

Commitments
Ava Heiden

Teagan Mallegni
Premium Article on Mallegni: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/can-new-commit-teagan-mallegni-be-the-next-mckenna-warnock-

Taylor Stremlow
Offer List: Iowa State, Kansas State, Marquette, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Penn State

Callie Levin
Offer List: Arkansas, Marquette, Purdue, Utah, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Drake
Premium Article on Levin: https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/wbb-scouting-notebook-callie-levin-vs-dubuque-wahlert.414065/

Britt Prince
Schools Visited: Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Indiana, Creighton, Nebraska, North Carolina, NC State, Oregon State, Oregon, UCLA, maybe more

Aaliyah Guyton
since Aaliyah is only 5"8 then why all the fuss about Freenway being just 5'8 as a FR being to short to play in the BT?

Aaliyah Guyton putting Iowa in her top 5 is what prompted the thread. That is interesting because earlier in the summer Jan Jensen mentioned that Iowa was still looking at point guards in the 2024 class and also that Iowa would be competing with Nebraska for a recruit. Many (myself included) assumed she meant Britt Prince, but it's possible she was referring to Guyton instead (or that Iowa is pursuing both still).

Guyton's Top 5 is all over the place. Iowa has clearly had the most success of the group, but Guyton might not see the floor much in her freshman year if Caitlin Clark takes her Covid Year.

Illinois is her home state school and appears to be a program on the rise.

Nebraska has only made the NCAA Tournament once in the last 5 years, and coach Amy Williams' seat might be getting a little hot.

Michigan State's longtime coach (Suzy Merchant) retired recently and they brought in Robyn Fralick from Bowling Green. The Spartans have made 2 NCAA Tournaments in the last 5 years.

Pitt also has a new coach (Tory Verdi) who came over from UMass. The Panthers haven't had a winning season since 2015 and have been near or at the bottom of the ACC basically every year since then.

since Aaliyah is only 5"8 then why all the fuss about Freenway being just 5'8 as a FR being to short to play in the BT?
I don't think anyone thinks she's too short to play in the Big Ten. The slight concern is that driving and finishing near the basket is a big part of her game and it's easier for bigger guards to finish (generally).

As a recent example Kathleen Doyle (5'9') never shot better than 48.5% from 2 in college, whereas Clark (6'0') has never been below 54%.

And FWIW, many of the height concerns came when she was listed at 5'6'. 5'8 is less concerning, even though it's just 2 inches different.

Reactions: Torg
when you doubt a 5'8 FR as being to short and then list this player that is #60 4* the it is crazy to question Greenways ability
or maybe its the color of Greenways skin that is the real problem with her ability to play in the BT?

when you doubt a 5'8 FR as being to short and then list this player that is #60 4* the it is crazy to question Greenways ability
or maybe its the color of Greenways skin that is the real problem with her ability to play in the BT?
You might want to reread the last post a few times. No one is questioning whether Greenway can play in the Big Ten. She's most people's top target in the 2026 class.

If Iowa would bring in 5 players in the class of 24 I doubt if Clark would be back for her covid year, unless the coaches forsee a player or two leaving.

Raina shared Guyton’s post on her Insta story. I don’t think she (or any other WBB coach) has ever posted about a prospect like that before.

I don't think anyone thinks she's too short to play in the Big Ten. The slight concern is that driving and finishing near the basket is a big part of her game and it's easier for bigger guards to finish (generally).

As a recent example Kathleen Doyle (5'9') never shot better than 48.5% from 2 in college, whereas Clark (6'0') has never been below 54%.

And FWIW, many of the height concerns came when she was listed at 5'6'. 5'8 is less concerning, even though it's just 2 inches different.
What's your view on Kennise Johnson-Etienne's prospect at Iowa? She's listed as 5'4 on UI's official athletics site. Even though she was listed as 5'8 in some scouting reports, I doubt the Iowa coaches didn't know her true height when recruiting her.

What's your view on Kennise Johnson-Etienne's prospect at Iowa? She's listed as 5'4 on UI's official athletics site. Even though she was listed as 5'8 in some scouting reports, I doubt the Iowa coaches didn't know her true height when recruiting her.
I need to see more of her game before forming an opinion.

In general, it's not that smaller players can't play. It's more that it's harder for them to score around the basket. Tania Davis was listed at 5'3' and had a very good career at Iowa. But scoring around the basket wasn't a big part of her game, either.

Reactions: Torg
I need to see more of her game before forming an opinion.

In general, it's not that smaller players can't play. It's more that it's harder for them to score around the basket. Tania Davis was listed at 5'3' and had a very good career at Iowa. But scoring around the basket wasn't a big part of her game, either.
gee don't you think that coaches PF and Centers to play inside, never knew everybody had to play like a PF/C to be on the court. nor it needed to lead the team in soring.

Caitlyn is a rare player that can score and dish the ball and it has nothing to do with her height.

gee don't you think that coaches PF and Centers to play inside, never knew everybody had to play like a PF/C to be on the court. nor it needed to lead the team in soring.

Caitlyn is a rare player that can score and dish the ball and it has nothing to do with her height.
Here are 2-point shooting percentages for some recent Iowa guards for either their senior season or their most recent season. I also included their listed heights.

Tania Davis 5'3'- 45.2%

Kathleen Doyle 5'9'- 48.5%

Kate Martin 6'0'- 52.4%

Caitlin Clark 6'0'- 55.8%

The trend won't always be this clear with other examples, but it is certainly easier for taller guards to score at the basket than smaller guards.

Reactions: Torg and HIWILLE

Commitments
Ava Heiden

Teagan Mallegni

Taylor Stremlow

Callie Levin

Britt Prince

Aaliyah Guyton
Looks like Nebraska just got a commitment from someone...Prince???

Reactions: shikreto
You honestly think our coaches were unaware of her height?

I liked Hargrove's tape a couple years ago. Not sure how she's progressed since then. Iowa was probably out on her when Mallegni committed.

I just can’t help but keep like UNL is a sinking ship. I wish I felt otherwise tbh — I’m a fan of them, I like their culture and Jaz Shelley is, simply put, iconic. But man it just feels like Amy Williams is floundering.

Also, considering the relative enthusiasm around her, is it not surprising that she never made the ESPN Top 100? Or maybe she is more of a Sydney Affolter type…?

Last edited:
I am always amused and confused when players commit to Nebraska or Minnesota, on both the men’s and women’s sides, in both football and basketball. Just do not see the attraction to the programs. Lincoln is a pit. Minneapolis/St Paul is a fun town, those gh not so much in winter 🤨, but the programs are fading in success and relevance. Good luck to the kids but…

I am always amused and confused when players commit to Nebraska or Minnesota, on both the men’s and women’s sides, in both football and basketball. Just do not see the attraction to the programs. Lincoln is a pit. Minneapolis/St Paul is a fun town, those gh not so much in winter 🤨, but the programs are fading in success and relevance. Good luck to the kids but…
Lmao most people would probably rather live in Minneapolis or Lincoln than Iowa City tho.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: oxHawk and HIWILLE
I just can’t help but keep like UNL is a sinking ship. I wish I felt otherwise tbh — I’m a fan of them, I like their culture and Jaz Shelley is, simply put, iconic. But man it just feels like Amy Williams is floundering.

Also, considering the relative enthusiasm around her, is it not surprising that she never made the ESPN Top 100? Or maybe she is more of a Sydney Affolter type…?
Not sure why Hargrove flew under the radar.

I have no idea what happened with Nebraska last year. Two years ago they were a lot like Iowa--a fast offensive-focused team. Last year it seemed like they tried to slow things down and be more defensive. It made their defense slightly better but hurt their offense a lot.

Williams' seat has to be getting hot. 2 tournaments in 7 years just isn't good enough when the program was so good from 2006-2015. She had most of her team back from two years ago and somehow they regressed. This year and Prince's recruitment could have a big impact on the program's future.

Reactions: shikreto
I have no idea what happened with Nebraska last year. Two years ago they were a lot like Iowa--a fast offensive-focused team. Last year it seemed like they tried to slow things down and be more defensive. It made their defense slightly better but hurt their offense a lot.
It’s crazy how they beat Indiana and Michigan in 22 and then beat Maryland this past season but have little else to show for all their talent and chemistry.

What she said: "I have a great relationship with (head) coach (Lisa) Bluder. Their style of play fits. And the rest of the staff, they're all just consistent. The relationship that I have where I feel could trust (Bluder) and she could trust me."

I am grateful that Bluder got the extension through 2029 -- should put to rest any wondering about how long she'll be around for both 2024 and 2025 recruits.

“Play more freely”…Kenyon left the team and now Levin’s dad is coaching and he pretty much runs everything for her and let’s her do whatever she wants.
Pretty easy to realize that Dad felt his daughter wasn't being highlighted enough previously, at least in his mind.

Pretty easy to realize that Dad felt his daughter wasn't being highlighted enough previously, at least in his mind.
Probably true, but not also hard to realize watching her on previous team that she wasn't one of the best players, so she wasn't going to be highlighted. Both can be true and both can be better after the change.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Why bring race into it when no one has even been close to mentioning that

Reactions: Kurt Johnson
I love Iowa but I have lived in Lincoln and it’s a great city

ESPN with the top recruiting classes for 2024..
Surprised we made the Top 10. We could easily get knocked out after a few more of the Top 20 kids sign. But they typically expand this list to Top 20 classes so we should be able to stay within that. Nice to see Mallegni and Stremlow noted as "knockdown shooters." Also interesting to see Levin noted as a 3 star, for clarity's sake. Does anyone know where the 4 stars change to 3 stars in terms of rank...i.e., anything below 100, 120, etc is a 3 star? OOC, does anyone have reason to think she is underrated?

Also, Mallegni shared an Insta post from AGSR that has her (final, I think) national rank as #37. I googled AGSR national rankings for 2024 and you can only see the top 30 without paying. Looks like none of our other recruits are in the top 40 (since I can see the Top 30 on their site and 30-40 on her Instagram post).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT