ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Womens Bball Portal Targets

We like those blond beauties and she is that but can she play and go at our pace plus is she good enough to make a difference?

Is she a PG?
Can't tell, looks like they played 4 guards and a forward. Averaged as many turnovers as assists. 33% FG's, 28% on 3's, 82% FT's. Over 30 minutes/game for a bad team in the SEC. Didn't play in their last 2 games; injury vs portal issue? Lots of experience in a decent league. She'd need to be a great mix with our current players to consider adding her.

Well to be fair it was really a mixture of exhaustion and a backlash to racist fans IMO. But everytime I mention that, a bunch of racist apologists come out of the woodwork and deny that possibility (even though it's rather obvious to everyone else).

I also think the potential difference of course between last year and this year is that a LOT of the "exhaustion" wasn't so much even about Iowa but specifically Clark. Clark exhaustion/resentment was (is) very real among countless student athletes out there who believe she takes up FAR too much oxygen in the room, overshadowing countless other athletes. Those people probably wouldn't want to play in her shadow OR support the team that they'd been rolling their eyes at for months. I don't know why else Morrow or Betts wouldn't even return a call from the Swarm CEO about what they could offer (his quote, not mine)....feels rather open and shut.

In any case, now that Clark's on her way out...hopefully the calculus might be a little different....
A big reason I think we didn't have a shot at HVL. And then she goes to LSU??? Made no sense.....

So far, the best option for Iowa seems to be Chen, she's a veteran, savvy PG who would only play one year, so wouldn't affect the '25 class recruiting. But there will be more. From Arkansas, Taliah Scott (PG) and Saylor Poffenbarger 6'2 F both have now entered the portal. Scott has 3 years remaining and Saylor 2. Saylor could be that elusive, athletic 3/4 that Iowa needs, and a great rebounder.
We could run into a situation where a high-level recruit wants to come to Iowa but can't due to roster/scholly issues. Again raising the question about what to do about Ava Jones.

Chen to Iowa would be hell of a get. To think there is 50/50 chance we play her team Sunday would be interesting.

A big reason I think we didn't have a shot at HVL. And then she goes to LSU??? Made no sense.....
I still think HVL would've been a terrible fit for Iowa. At Louisville she shot a ton of mid-range jumpers. That's a shot Bluder has basically eliminated from her offense. She was also pretty ball dominant, which I don't think would've worked well with Clark.

Plus Iowa was already deep with guards that compliment Clark well. Adding 30+ minutes per game for HVL alters the rotation pretty drastically.

Hawks need a one and done PG. Chen, on paper, is an attractive option. This weekend provides an opportunity for her to get a feel for the support the team gets, facilities and what the program looks like. The notion has to come to her mind. Here’s hoping she does not have her mind made up to go “Blue Bloods only.” If she wants to play on a bigger stage, she could hardly have a more “ready made”, high ceiling opportunity!

Princeton's style is really slow pace of play coupled with stingy half court defense. Iowa's system would be a huge change of style for Chen-- I don't really see it tbh.

Chen is from California. I would think USC, another school starting a number of Ivy grad transfers, is an attractive option to her.

As far as other B1G schools, Indiana would be a natural fit. She is familiar with them having played in a sold out Assembly Hall tournament game in 2022, plus a regular season nonconference meeting in 2023. The system is pretty similar as well.

I still think HVL would've been a terrible fit for Iowa. At Louisville she shot a ton of mid-range jumpers. That's a shot Bluder has basically eliminated from her offense. She was also pretty ball dominant, which I don't think would've worked well with Clark.

Plus Iowa was already deep with guards that compliment Clark well. Adding 30+ minutes per game for HVL alters the rotation pretty drastically.
Oh, I agree totally and said so at the time when people thought we should "court her". Theres no way that someone as ball dominant as her and CC would coexist. Still its hilarious that she went to LSU because that was just as bad a fit, maybe worse. She either got sold a bill of goods, or she got the big$$$$.

Last edited:
Princeton's style is really slow pace of play coupled with stingy half court defense. Iowa's system would be a huge change of style for Chen-- I don't really see it tbh.

Chen is from California. I would think USC, another school starting a number of Ivy grad transfers, is an attractive option to her.

As far as other B1G schools, Indiana would be a natural fit. She is familiar with them having played in a sold out Assembly Hall tournament game in 2022, plus a regular season nonconference meeting in 2023. The system is pretty similar as well.
Somewhere I saw a post that said her top 3 were UConn, UCLA, and Stanford. This was when it was 1st known she'd be entering the portal.

Hawks need a one and done PG. Chen, on paper, is an attractive option. This weekend provides an opportunity for her to get a feel for the support the team gets, facilities and what the program looks like. The notion has to come to her mind. Here’s hoping she does not have her mind made up to go “Blue Bloods only.” If she wants to play on a bigger stage, she could hardly have a more “ready made”, high ceiling opportunity!
At what point does Iowa women become a Blue Blood?

Reactions: Kurt Johnson
Somewhere I saw a post that said her top 3 were UConn, UCLA, and Stanford. This was when it was 1st known she'd be entering the portal.
People keep saying this (and saying it) but that's probably just some internet rumor (like LAUREN BETTS IS TOTALLY GOING TO IOWA or a couple of years ago "Angel Reese and Ashley Owusu are going to South Carolina!"). Even if those are her top 3 choices, it doesn't matter unless she gets offers. Anyone who takes one look at UConn's roster would know they do NOT need any more PGs -- they need Fs and Cs.

I worry about style of play / fit being a concern for her as well as Dembele. She is clearly a defensive stalwart. I don't watch Missouri WBB but I'd guess they're a typical SEC team (defense-first). Look at Celeste Taylor -- she was known for her D and she found a team also known for their D. I feel that's likely going to be the case for Dembele. She'll want to go where her skills are the best fit. Probably not Iowa unfortunately.
At what point does Iowa women become a Blue Blood?
When they win a national title.

Reactions: CarterHall
Guyton will probably be back, but just barely and will have been rehabbing all summer instead of developing. That's if everything goes well in the rehab.

Johnson I am less than encouraged that she will be back before January. She just injured it and I don't believe has had the surgery yet. It is also her second ACL, she had one back in HS (not sure if it was the same knee).
Johnson is not a good shooter in warmups!!!!

• Sad
Reactions: ddeanHawk
People keep saying this (and saying it) but that's probably just some internet rumor (like LAUREN BETTS IS TOTALLY GOING TO IOWA or a couple of years ago "Angel Reese and Ashley Owusu are going to South Carolina!"). Even if those are her top 3 choices, it doesn't matter unless she gets offers. Anyone who takes one look at UConn's roster would know they do NOT need any more PGs -- they need Fs and Cs.

I worry about style of play / fit being a concern for her as well as Dembele. She is clearly a defensive stalwart. I don't watch Missouri WBB but I'd guess they're a typical SEC team (defense-first). Look at Celeste Taylor -- she was known for her D and she found a team also known for their D. I feel that's likely going to be the case for Dembele. She'll want to go where her skills are the best fit. Probably not Iowa unfortunately.

So SC , LSU and UCONN are the only blue bloods in the country?

Reactions: chuck285
So SC , LSU and UCONN are the only blue bloods in the country?
What? No? Have you not heard of Stanford or Maryland? Notre Dame, Baylor, many more have titles....

Fortunately this moniker is going out of style b/c so many former blue bloods' glory days are long gone. Maryland has bottomed out. Tennessee, Purdue, Baylor (and more) are shells of what they once were. But they still recruit well and their brands still have a lot of cachet. Notre Dame and Baylor for example are still competing at a very high level. UConn is teetering on the edge of becoming pedestrian. If Geno retires soon, it'll probably be time to call it a day.

Reactions: letsgosports
What? No? Have you not heard of Stanford or Maryland? Notre Dame, Baylor, many more have titles....

Fortunately this moniker is going out of style b/c so many former blue bloods' glory days are long gone. Maryland has bottomed out. Tennessee, Purdue, Baylor (and more) are shells of what they once were. But they still recruit well and their brands still have a lot of cachet. Notre Dame and Baylor for example are still competing at a very high level. UConn is teetering on the edge of becoming pedestrian. If Geno retires soon, it'll probably be time to call it a day.
Yeah but you have to have won more than one title to be considered a blue blood.

Scratch Maryland off the Blue Blood list. I wouldn't say one title would make them a blue blood. Scratch Notre Dame titles in 2001 and 2018 I wouldn't call that a blue blood. Baylor maybe and Stanford has won one in 1990, 1992, and 2021 and a couple runner ups in 08 and 10.

Yeah but you have to have won more than one title to be considered a blue blood.
If that's your answer, then why did you ask the question?

There are also plenty of teams that have won two titles. Again, Baylor, Texas Tech, Tennessee would all count under that criteria. Unless you have more criteria to now apply.

If that's your answer, then why did you ask the question?

There are also plenty of teams that have won two titles. Again, Baylor, Texas Tech, Tennessee would all count under that criteria. Unless you have more criteria to now apply.
I really didn't ask you. I wanted to hear from somebody that knew something.

I really didn't ask you. I wanted to hear from somebody that knew something.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Hoshi Joell

You still asked a question even though you had an answer lol so IDK why you're asking.

I don't know much about potential need for PG at UCLA or Stanford but the fact that Chen is from California would certainly put them on her radar.

I don't know much about potential need for PG at UCLA or Stanford but the fact that Chen is from California would certainly put them on her radar.
What hasn't been discussed much is which school has a grad program that best suits her needs. Considering her senior thesis, it could be that the Iowa's writing program might attract her. Also, I don't know that Princeton's slower-paced offense is necessarily a negative thing. She might be yearning for a quicker, more aggressive offense to run.

Hannah Gusters {OSU} might be interesting if Iowa feels the need for a center. 2 years at LSU and 1 at OSU 6'-5"
There are actually quite a few very interesting Fs/Cs in the portal but I just don't see Bluder needing one. I think she's all in on Heiden and we have plenty of depth at the 3, 4, and 5 for next year.

All the transfer speculation is a moot point...not going to happen. Lisa is not bringing in 4 freshman guards and then going after one in the portal. If I'm wrong I will eat crow but people I know that work in the athletic department have said they would be very surprised if it happens with scholarship numbers where they're are.

All the transfer speculation is a moot point...not going to happen. Lisa is not bringing in 4 freshman guards and then going after one in the portal. If I'm wrong I will eat crow but people I know that work in the athletic department have said they would be very surprised if it happens with scholarship numbers where they're are.
Damn....we should certainly expect a bumpy/disappointing year then. An athletic/veteran PG is all the team needs to go far (unless Guyton has the smoothest recovery possible). IMO it's the difference between a possible Sweet 16 birth or a likely first round exit (and a greater likelihood than I'd prefer of being on the wrong side of the bubble). I think we'll struggle against ISU and average B1G teams, not to mention USC, UCLA, Michigan, etc.

There are actually quite a few very interesting Fs/Cs in the portal but I just don't see Bluder needing one. I think she's all in on Heiden and we have plenty of depth at the 3, 4, and 5 for next year.
Might have some enter the portal.

Reactions: shikreto
Damn....we should certainly expect a bumpy/disappointing year then. An athletic/veteran PG is all the team needs to go far (unless Guyton has the smoothest recovery possible). IMO it's the difference between a possible Sweet 16 birth or a likely first round exit (and a greater likelihood than I'd prefer of being on the wrong side of the bubble). I think we'll struggle against ISU and average B1G teams, not to mention USC, UCLA, Michigan, etc.
Bluder really wanted Guyton after already having 2 PG's committed last year. I think she was going to be given every opportunity to be the answer at the point. With her injury, it certainly seems risky to not look for portal help.

Reactions: HIWILLE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT