ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Womens Bball Portal Targets

Bluder is looking at beginning next season with NO experienced PG. Even though Lisa is not a big fan of using the portal, I doubt she sees a way around it. Looking at players like Chen and Scherr makes complete sense; while Guyton comes back from injury, Stremlow develops, etc. This is the most immediate need the Hawks have for next season. However, doesn't mean that a PG is the only portal target. I think there's an option to land a talented big wing, and there are some available.

• Love
Reactions: HIWILLE
Hannah Gusters {OSU} might be interesting if Iowa feels the need for a center. 2 years at LSU and 1 at OSU 6'-5"
Lisa wouldn't recruit Gusters. Lisa is all about fit and chemistry. Gusters has a lot of baggage and her new school will be her 4th, started at Baylor, LSU, Okie St. Plus she's a post, they'll be looking at point guards to fill a need.

Am I missing something on the appeal of Scherr’s game? Statistically she’s a very unimpressive player. Low assist numbers, bad assist-to-turnover ratio, 34% from the field, 29% from three.
Saw someone say she had to carry the load on a not very good team and struggled bc that rly isn’t her ideal role. Reportedly better as a defender/distributor than scorer. ESPN ranked her the #19 kid in her recruiting class.

Last edited:
Saw someone say she had to carry the load on a not very good team. Reportedly a better defender/distributor than shooter. ESPN ranked her the #19 kid in her recruiting class.
Another thing about Scherr is that she played for Oregon for two years and they run a similar offense to Iowa. Perhaps she is looking to get back to a more fast paced game than what she experienced in the SEC.

I think Lisa is looking more for a ball handler and distributor passer. Both Chen and Scherr look capable to play for us. Many of the other, not really sure are better than we have.

Reactions: chaneccooms
Is there any reason to believe Guyton and Johnson won’t be 100% by November?

In any event, agree that a vet PG transfer would be beneficial.

Side note- Levin looks pretty talented as a ball handler and passer but the B10 is a big step up.
I highly doubt KJ will. She just had the injury a few weeks ago, and not sure of she's even had surgery yet. Figure a minimum of 9-10 months it would probably be at least late Nov or Dec. Then take into account she has no real experience on the floor with her team mates, AND will miss the entire summer and fall camp. Not good for a green player. The article on Guyton appears more promising. It said Dr's told her release for practice sometime in August and full release by November. Still that means she will also miss abunch of time, so who knows....

Quote from a story about Scherr from Jan 2023:

She had a career-high 22 points against LSU and then broke that with 25 points the next game against unbeaten No. 1 South Carolina when she went 5-for-7 from 3-point range. Those were her first two 20-point games in college after she had scored 2,300 points in high school.

She also had a steal in nine straight games and has had at least three assists in 15 games.

Scherr is averaging 10.2 points and 5.6 rebounds per game. She leads UK with 90 assists, 40 steals and 17 blocked shots going into Sunday’s game against Mississippi State. She’s also second on the team with 22 3-pointers made.

“She and I had a conversation — it’s funny — I wanted to free her up. She was pressing and I was like, ‘Maddie, don’t worry about scoring.’ I was like, ‘Facilitate, get us in an offense, play hard. If it feels good, take the shot. If it doesn’t, don’t worry about it. We don’t need you to score,’” Elzy said after the South Carolina game.

SC isn’t a blue blood. UConn, Tennessee, and Stanford are probably the only Blue Bloods. SC will eventually get there though.
I think there's been so much parity developed in the game, and with the abundance of young talent that our notions of two or three "blueblood" teams may no longer be useful. I think you can now expand that number to 10 or 12, and expect that those top 12 might look markedly different every couple of years. I do think that Iowa is straddling that top ten precipice. Just a couple more major recruits in both '25 and '26 will firmly land the Hawks in that strata for the next 5 years. But the dynamics suggest that if they don't, we're back to 20-10 seasons, 8-seed in the tourney, etc.

Last edited:
Let's try and recruit this gal from Iowa. I hear she has one more year if she wants it. Averages over 30 points a game and is okay at point guard. But it might take a lot of NIL money. :p

I suspect you're right.

It looks like she's a Pharmacy student and the Drake Rx program is a 6 year program with guaranteed / reserved seat (subject to academic standards being met) into the PharmD graduate program for Drake undergraduates. If she is sticking with Pharmacy and were to leave Drake for IA, she'd have to sit for the GRE, gain admittance, and then enter the 4 year graduate program at IA.
This is great info and probably the nail in the coffin regarding her ever leaving Drake.

That being said, it's clear she is good enough to play: just had 24 pts and 7 assists vs Colorado.

Reactions: skydog0784
Jenelle Brown 5’6” Sr. at Fairfield with another year of eligibility is rocking it against Indiana in their first round game. Strong, quick with a cool head. Hope Bluder is watching !

Reactions: undersized_post
I think there's been so much parity developed in the game, and with the abundance of young talent that our notions of two or three "blueblood" teams may no longer be useful. I think you can now expand that number to 10 or 12, and expect that those top 12 might look markedly different every couple of years. I do think that Iowa is straddling that top ten precipice. Just a couple more major recruits in both '25 and '26 will firmly land the Hawks in that strata for the next 5 years. But the dynamics suggest that if they don't, we're back to 20-10 seasons, 8-seed in the tourney, etc.
You’re not a blue blood without titles. Parity doesn’t increase blue bloods. Traditional powers are blue bloods. Iowa isn’t even close to that. Sorry.

You’re not a blue blood without titles. Parity doesn’t increase blue bloods. Traditional powers are blue bloods. Iowa isn’t even close to that. Sorry.
You're not wrong but Iowa is super trendy and the traditional powers wish that they could have the positive publicity, tv ratings , and fan interest than Iowa is currently generating.

You're not wrong but Iowa is super trendy and the traditional powers wish that they could have the positive publicity, tv ratings , and fan interest than Iowa is currently generating.
Neither of you are wrong. Most bluebloods have collapsed. There are basically 3 left and two of them are trending down (and their coaches are retiring soon).

Reactions: hawkod
Right but that’s because Iowa has a unicorn. I do think Lisa has a chance to keep this rolling if recruiting is any indicator.

Seems you may have missed my point. I wasn't suggesting Iowa was a "blueblood" school. I'm saying the old notion of two or three teams dominating the sport for decades seems to be unraveling in the face of increased parity and the abundance of skilled players coming up.

Seems you may have missed my point. I wasn't suggesting Iowa was a "blueblood" school. I'm saying the old notion of two or three teams dominating the sport for decades seems to be unraveling in the face of increased parity and the abundance of skilled players coming up.
I understand that but it doesn't take away from the fact that UConn and Tennessee are what I would consider blue bloods in this sport. Tennessee hasn't won anything significant since Summitt but it doesn't mean they aren't still a blue blood.

Honestly we may be arguing two different things.

• Wow
With the train wreck that is Nebraska’s women’s bb off the court and its potential impact on their coaches future I am wondering something. Would Nissley or Potts look to transfer? I also believe Nebraska got an incoming recruit that Iowa wanted. Be interesting to see how the drama impacts her thoughts too.

With the train wreck that is Nebraska’s women’s bb off the court and its potential impact on their coaches future I am wondering something. Would Nissley or Potts look to transfer? I also believe Nebraska got an incoming recruit that Iowa wanted. Be interesting to see how the drama impacts her thoughts too.

Potts' mom isn't a fan of Bluder so it might take some convincing

Just did some digging. Nebraska apparently gave Coach Williams a contract extension until 2028 I believe. Typical Husker circus. Reward a coach who had an assistant sleeping with a player. Another reason to never send a kid to Lincoln!

Reactions: Sexican
Bluder clearly wants (needs) a veteran PG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT