ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Womens Bball Portal Targets

Doesn’t appear so. That’s what I mean, more rough around the edges perhaps, but clearly hungry for the ball and to have an impact. A proven scorer but not as athletic as Scherr whose natural talents will likely help in many elements of the game beyond scoring.
Both are very good, and I owa would be lucky to add either player to the roster. You want the player that wants the ball and wants to score. That's the giant hole that needs to be addressed. Anything else is gravy.

With regard to the highlights I've watched, I think that player is Olsen. She's ready to be on a big stage. Not saying Scherr isn't that. Ultimately it would be nice to have both show further interest.

SIAP but was Olsen ever ranked in any the High School rankings?

Doesn’t appear so.

Not that Hoopgurlz is the be all and end all, but Olsen was the 20th ranked PG in the 2021 class, and the # 19 point guard was # 98 overall. So just outside the top 100, which is Kate Martin land, and higher ranked than Gabby Marshall land.

Wonder if there is a scholarship being freed up that we don't know about yet and would have room for both. Otherwise is it whoever wants to commit first? Just curious to know the behind the scenes of the offers. I personally don't want anything to get in the way of the development of the freshmen class even if it means we don't take a transfer. In that sense I'm glad we're targeting folks with just the one year of eligibility left.

If I'm a business, I'd want Hannah and Syd as my spokespeople!
I've heard of this more in football, but sometimes scholarship offers are non-committable at the time they're made. They only become committable if certain other players don't commit to the school.

So in this context its possible that one of Scherr or Olsen is the priority and the other knows she can only commit if the priority player commits elsewhere.

Timing wise, it's interesting that Scherr has been in the portal much longer, but Olsen is taking the visit first. That could signal Olsen is the priority if there is one.

Reactions: undersized_post
Both are very good, and I owa would be lucky to add either player to the roster. You want the player that wants the ball and wants to score. That's the giant hole that needs to be addressed. Anything else is gravy.

With regard to the highlights I've watched, I think that player is Olsen. She's ready to be on a big stage. Not saying Scherr isn't that. Ultimately it would be nice to have both show further interest.
Olsen has a smooth mid range game...would think that's due to her USA basketball 3x3 experience. Some Marquette highlights

It’s too bad fate can’t align where Scherr commits to Iowa and have at least two years of eligibility…then we could say the Hawks were a Scherr Deal for post season success.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
...whatever dammit.
Caitlin Clark or not, what Iowa WBB offers is the opportunity to be on a team of rockstars. Lots of people will be watching Iowa WBB curious to see what happens. Get on the stage in a packed house, show your stuff, start winning games, and this team and the individual players can become part of an ongoing story.
Nobody wants to come to Iowa.

If they did, they would have.

Ask @shikreto

I'm being serious.

• Wow
Reactions: Chuck C and HIWILLE
Unfortunately the portal for high level players is becoming an auction for hired guns. Not good for the game or programs like Iowa and many others without the money to compete.

Nobody wants to come to Iowa.

If they did, they would have.

Ask @shikreto

I'm being serious.
You have to remember none of the programs (aside from wrestling) have truly had success quite like the WBB team is riding. Uncharted, new rules.

If I was a player I'd want even a sliver of the media/marketing attention Clark and the team had last year. That counts for something.

Addie Deal sees it, wants it.

Maybe one of these outstanding portal players sees it too.

Getting a visit is the hard part. Iowa City in spring is the easy part.

Okay okay, NIL. Yeah, that's a thing. That is a thing. We'll see, i guess.

I've heard of this more in football, but sometimes scholarship offers are non-committable at the time they're made. They only become committable if certain other players don't commit to the school.
Illinois men’s basketball is notorious for this. They throw out a ton of offers early that aren’t committable. Then if the kid blows up, the staff can say, “We were your first offer!!!!!”

I'd say your hours are off but with that being said, so is your total compensation: closer to $75k-$125k depending on school. Plus not having a student loan is never discussed.
I used numbers straight from Iowa. ND or OSu or Michigan may be higher for out of state, tho. As to hours, I didn't put in any time for workouts on your own, etc. And travel time I didn't count every minute they were on the road or anything. But it could be a little like a mini vacation, especially now. Go to Disneyland!!! Yaa!!

After watching a fair amount of video, I'm voting for Olsen. Scherr is more athletic, but Olsen has that slippery makeup that you just hate to guard. We'll be needing points next year. Go Lucy!
Well tell her not to come to Iowa so that she does the opposite to prove you wrong......which is actually what we all want in the long run anyway. ;)

It's the challenge that these transfers/recruits can't turn down.

Tell them they can't do something and suddenly they become bound and determined to prove people wrong..............

After watching a fair amount of video, I'm voting for Olsen. Scherr is more athletic, but Olsen has that slippery makeup that you just hate to guard. We'll be needing points next year. Go Lucy!
Scherr would certainly replace Gabby in the looks department. Since she is from Kentucky, that is a fine looking filly. Oh, forgot to mention a heck of an athlete too.

Field Hockey might disagree
Okay so I don’t wanna diminish what field hockey has accomplished. They should be proud of what they have achieved. No one can take that from them.

But has anyone from field hockey been on GMA or SNL (not just appeared once, but also been the subject of sketches in two other episodes as well)?

Have they had an entire ESPN print magazine dedicated to them, sold across the country in Targets, Barnes and Noble, etc?

I live in MA and heard people talking about CC on local radio. I saw a digital billboard with her face on it after she broke the scoring record. 18 million viewers tuned in for her game. She has broken viewership records across 7 national networks. Sold out arenas across the country…

Theres athletic greatness — and there are many great athletes — and then there’s cultural transcendence. CC22 (and by extension her teammates / coaches) find themselves in rare air. I think it’s tough to compare the two. Theyre now part of the zeitgeist. People who have never watched a WBB game in their life know of Clark and Iowa. Many of them are even fans…it’s truly unparalleled.

Field Hockey might disagree
I'm talking about big picture, high profile "success." Back-to-back championship games, television, media, celebrities, documentaries, commercials, SNL(?).

*Mentioning wrestling was just an afterthought, but I can see how that might confuse what I'm talking about.
Kudos to the field hockey program!

Reactions: ZachJump
Won't be long high school seniors will be getting bought, maybe they already are. What a shit show. About ready to say fock the whole thing and tune out
It is still fun to watch the games you want to and the athletes but for sure it will be with a much more jaded eye as to who wins league and national championships. I mean werent Jameson Winston and Cam Newton bought and paid for to get nattys?

Is it safe to say that if Olsen leaves without a commitment, the staff will be moving on to Scherr as the top choice? In this scenario where they only have 1 scholarship, seems like it would need to be a yes or no on the visit. I don't see how they could let her take multiple visits & potentially miss out on Scherr while they wait for an answer.

Is it safe to say that if Olsen leaves without a commitment, the staff will be moving on to Scherr as the top choice? In this scenario where they only have 1 scholarship, seems like it would need to be a yes or no on the visit. I don't see how they could let her take multiple visits & potentially miss out on Scherr while they wait for an answer.
That or tell her whichever says yes first. Hopefully one will. Who knows

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
This is creepy. Let’s be better.
She shouldn't post some of her pictures
What an idiotic thing to say.
Idiotic? All you have to do is look at her pictures online. She knows she's attractive and isn't afraid to show it. Just because she is an athlete, it does not mean she can't receive a compliment about looking good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT