ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Womens Bball Portal Targets

All 3 programs need a PG. Frese is certainly going to sell her track record with getting kids ready for the W. LSU is gonna offer her 6 figures.
Welp we did much better than Maryland this evening. When was the last time MD didn’t have a single draft pick? As soon as Kate was announced, I was hoping that might be a shot in the arm for us this week. Then I noticed Lucy Olsen Liked this post :)

Welp we did much better than Maryland this evening. When was the last time MD didn’t have a single draft pick? As soon as Kate was announced, I was hoping that might be a shot in the arm for us this week. Then I noticed Lucy Olsen Liked this post :)

The whole crowd erupted when she said that. What a great moment for her

So weird lol this is happening literally right down the street from where I live. Would explain why she opted not to squeeze in Maryland this week and instead wait til next week. Here’s hoping she cancels on them again lol
The schedules these women are keeping are CRAZY! Looked like the entire Iowa coaching staff was at the draft; late night I'm sure and then need to get back to host Lucy. And then Olsen needs to get back to Boston by tomorrow for this camp? Wonder if there was/is a way for at least one coach to fly to Iowa with Lucy so they could start the exchange there?

The schedules these women are keeping are CRAZY! Looked like the entire Iowa coaching staff was at the draft; late night I'm sure and then need to get back to host Lucy. And then Olsen needs to get back to Boston by tomorrow for this camp? Wonder if there was/is a way for at least one coach to fly to Iowa with Lucy so they could start the exchange there?
She probably could have flew back with them last night after the draft. I'm not sure what rules are in place in terms of chartered flights and visits though?

I know most probably want Olsen due to her scoring potential but Scherr would be an excellent fit in terms of pushing the pace. I don't think they could go wrong with either one. South Carolina doesn't like her so she'd fit right in😂

Interesting take. And you may be right. But I've been thinking the opposite, hoping we have identified a 3rd candidate who can help next year at the point, if we strike out on Olsen and Scherr, as is very possible. A couple of things go into my thinking.

First, I am a bit of skeptic about Taylor Stremlow helping as a freshman. The descriptions of her game that I have seen tend to sound like the end of a sentence that begins with, "while she may be slow . . ." Slow at the point in an increasingly athletic BIG is not a way to overachieve next season. Hope my skepticism turns out to be unfounded.

Second, the more Iowa steps back next season the harder it will be for Iowa to convince '26 recruits, portal targets next year and potentially late-deciding '25 recruits that Iowa is here to stay. Bluder, Jensen & staff are not natural great recruiters. Instead, they need every bit of ammunition they can get, including an over-achieving tourney-bound team next season.
Stremlow is a STUD!!!

So nothing across social media following Olsen’s visit to Iowa City? Did the visit not happen?

Read between the lines here...Olsen isn't happening
This is the correct read. Was shocked to hear the Swarm guy say on the other site's podcast that, as a result of the recent efforts, they had only received "somewhere between $10,000-$15,000 [in WBB donations] over and above what [he] would have expected in random or average donations." Thought success would have prompted more $$$.

Anyway, time to move on to Maddie Scherr, would many would have preferred in any event.

Last edited:
This is the correct read. Was shocked to hear the Swarm guy say on the other site's podcast that, as a result of the recent efforts, they had only received "somewhere between $10,000-$15,000 [in WBB donations] over and above what [he] would have expected in random or average donations." Thought success would prompted more $$$.

Anyway, time to move on to Maddie Scherr, would many would have preferred in any event.
I guess I understand the climate here, but as I said before I just have a real issue that its the fans job to "buy players", and that goes for both genders. I still believe this shit is going to boil over before long. Joe average isn't going to keep throwing hard earned $$ after high school kids, and transfers when only ONE team wins their last game every year. ONE, and we should know that very well by now, because we've been to the mountain top.

Bummer. Does anyone know what athletes can earn as a "base" from the Swarm now that athletes across all sports get a share? I would assume it's a lot less than the $15k that all WBB players got an opportunity to earn last year.

I've noticed a definite uptick in NIL activity on the players socials, though. Gabbie has been doing a ton of pizza spots, Syd/Molly/Hannah a spot for a restaurant, Kate Martin had a weekly IG live sponsored by a Mexican place. I wonder how much they're earning from those...I'd have to guess that the spots + the smaller Swarm $$$ is not as much as the $15k they were all given the opportunity to earn last year.

Joe average isn't going to keep throwing hard earned $$ after high school kids, and transfers when only ONE team wins their last game every year.

You're right, the solution cannot be many Joe Averages throwing in $100. The only realistic situation is a wealthy booster or two who can give six figure gifts. It may also be that so long as everyone is splitting the pot, Iowa just won't be able to compete with the schools that take the $100k and give it to one player (LSU, UConn, USC do that).

Last edited:
This is the correct read. Was shocked to hear the Swarm guy say on the other site's podcast that, as a result of the recent efforts, they had only received "somewhere between $10,000-$15,000 [in WBB donations] over and above what [he] would have expected in random or average donations." Thought success would have prompted more $$$.

What makes you think we have enough money for her?

It's not *good* news, but it might just be... no news? It is common practice in fundraising to make your biggest push for donations during the time of year when the maximum number of people will be paying attention to your organization. For a basketball NIL collective, that time is now-- when the season has just ended and transfer portal recruiting is in full swing. Even if you're the richest school with the deepest NIL pockets and doing just fine in recruiting, you'd still be soliciting donations right now. Just like political campaigns 10 weeks out from the election regardless of how much they're ahead/behind in the polls. Or charities during the holidays, etc.

All that said Olsen may not come here. Just offering another interpretation of things.

Can someone explain to me what the relationship is between On3 and the Swarm? Do they just have a well-placedsource and understand NIL is a big deal? They keep tweeting about NIL and donations and I guess I'm confused why they're such big advocates for it. There are what, 3 or 4 different websites that cover Iowa sports (including this one) but On3 is the only one I've seen make appeals like this.

Good question. Have no idea. But LSU seems to be the top of the WBB market, and LSU is interested in Olsen, but haven’t seen LSU linked to Scherr.
I actually haven't seen anything about any other school being interested in Scherr. Because there was so little else coming out of the rumor mill, I had assumed she was simply staying at KY. I was very surprised to hear she had scheduled the visit.

A few of her KY teammates have found landing posts -- it doesn't seem Brooks has convinced anyone to stay home (though someone on X did point out that he's so well-known for being cliquey/having favorites, he may want to clean house).

Last edited:
I see OSU got a big from Kentucky. Other schools can afford it. Iowa needs to step up. Get something different than Swarm or something to go along with the Swarm.

I see OSU got a big from Kentucky. Other schools can afford it. Iowa needs to step up. Get something different than Swarm or something to go along with the Swarm.
OSU has always been great at recruiting. They've always had a national reach -- as @AMAYS said recently, it's just easy for them (despite really not having much to show for it when you look at all they've had to work with). Iowa (Bluder) has NEVER been elite at recruiting -- it's why landing Deal and Heiden are truly such big deals for Iowa and really very impressive on many levels. Why recruiting is so hard for us has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, and there are many reasons for it -- all of which precede NIL. But NIL is clearly adding another layer of difficulty to it.

Part of OSU's (and other schools) continued success has to do with their kids doing the recruiting for them. I saw that Cotie McMahon retweeted Chance Gray's commitment and said "Just like AAU!" so they were former teammates. Angel Reese reportedly chose LSU because her best friend, Kateri Poole, was headed there as well.

Bluder relies heavily on All Iowa Attack/regional recruiting and it's clearly paid dividends but our kids clearly aren't as connected either. Clark was connected of course and she is largely the reason we got Kylie Feuerbach, IMO. But Clark tried getting other kids (Sydney Parrish, Lauren Betts) and they weren't even interested enough to visit or return our phonecall.

Last edited:
Do you think Swarm & WBB would be better off holding an event at Kinnick for fans as a fundraiser rather than asking for donations? Meet the team & staff type thing, shoot free throws or 3's against your favorite player, season summary & outlook going forward from the coaches, etc, people more intelligent than me could figure out the activities. Would 10,000 people show up at $50 a ticket if it was presented as a way to continue to keep Iowa WBB at the forefront of women's athletics? They need to figure something out to connect with the average fan. Simply asking for donations isn't working. Make fans feel like they are a needed part of the journey instead of an ATM.

OSU has always been great at recruiting. They've always had a national reach -- as @AMAYS said recently, it's just easy for them (despite really not having much to show for it when you look at all they've had to work with). Iowa (Bluder) has NEVER been elite at recruiting -- it's why landing Deal and Heiden are truly such big deals for Iowa and really very impressive on many levels. Why recruiting is so hard for us has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, and there are many reasons for it -- all of which precede NIL. But NIL is clearly is adding another layer of difficulty to it.

Part of OSU's (and other schools) continued success has to do with their kids doing the recruiting for them. I saw that Cotie McMahon retweeted Chance Gray's commitment and said "Just like AAU!" so they were former teammates. Angel Reese reportedly chose LSU because her best friend, Kateri Poole was headed there as well.

Bluder relies heavily on All Iowa Attack/regional recruiting and it's clearly paid dividends but our kids clearly aren't as connected either. Clark was connected of course and she is largely the reason we got Kylie Feuerbach, IMO. But Clark tried getting other kids (Sydney Parrish, Lauren Betts) but they weren't even interested enough to visit or return Bluder's call.
This is why 2025 and 2026 classes are really critical for us. If we can get 2 or 3 great players from each of those classes we will have a serious chance to challenge for Final Fours post-Caitlin. You challenge consistently then you become a household name/national brand that gets noticed annually. UConn was a losing program when Geno arrived, and it's not like Storrs, CT has wonderful weather to help draw recruits. We can all think of other schools that became national powers in various sports, but were located in Nowheresville. Just need to retain momentum.

Do you think Swarm & WBB would be better off holding an event at Kinnick for fans as a fundraiser rather than asking for donations? Meet the team & staff type thing, shoot free throws or 3's against your favorite player, season summary & outlook going forward from the coaches, etc, people more intelligent than me could figure out the activities. Would 10,000 people show up at $50 a ticket if it was presented as a way to continue to keep Iowa WBB at the forefront of women's athletics? They need to figure something out to connect with the average fan. Simply asking for donations isn't working. Make fans feel like they are a needed part of the journey instead of an ATM.
This could be a great idea IF it's acceptable to hold an event where ALL the funds go to WBB.

I'm listening to the Hawkeye Report podcast with Brad Heinrichs from the Swarm talking about how they're working on events for this summer with facility/ locker room tours, meeting with team and even sit in on a practice. I think events like these would be worth the membership

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT