ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Women's Wrestling

Saw a note from a friend that Gary Mayab has accepted the assistant coaching position for Iowa women's wrestling. Any confirmation on this? Would be a great addition to Clarissa if true imo.

So here's what the Hawkeye women's team has so far:
101- E.Gonzalez, B.Gonzalez
109- N. Valencia
116- E.Schmit, A.Bayless
123-
130- N.Estrella
136-
143- R.Larramendy, B.Mir
155-
170- K.Welker
191- S.Calkins

Who am I missing, and who does anyone have in mind for 123, 136, and 155? Obviously, some things may get sorted out in the wrestling room. We will need contenders at every weight.
Schmit wrestling 59 kilo(130) would lead to her at least going 123.. maybe hit a little growth spurt

Reactions: BumbleBeeTuna77
First off I am the quintessential Boomer and if I successfully post this link…. I’ll be pretty impressed with myself…. good article and I love that Chun is calling out other P5 schools to add women’s wrestling

I’ve had fun thinking about this since Iowa announced womens wrestling, “what would be good walk out songs for women?” Some songs by Joan Jett jumped out at me cause I like her songs, she knew how to bring it, and shes known as the Queen of Rock n Roll.

What weights still need recruits?

@PrairieHawk24 has a good weight breakdown below.

I could see some of the girls at lower weights growing a bit. For example Ella Schmit is no longer 116. She just wrestled 59kgs. Good chance she will be a 130/136 in college.

Biggest ?? would be 155. Lots of talent at that weight in HS right now(Elor, Rodriguez, Robinson).

Still plenty of time for Coach Chun to pick up more hammers.

101- E.Gonzalez, B.Gonzalez
109- S.Dias, N. Valencia
116- E.Schmit, A.Bayless
123-
130- N.Estrella
136-
143- R.Larramendy, B.Mir
155-
170- K.Welker
191- S.Calkins

“Starting”? 😉

No kidding. Not sure if people quite realize just how much success the current commits have already achieved.

This group has made multiple age level World teams, won numerous World medals, Final X/OTT finalists, National Finalists/Champ, MMA prodigy, etc, etc....

I'm sure that there will be more commits/transfers to come that will add to this list.

The really scary thought is what type of jump they could make when all of this talent will be training together under the direction of Coach Chun(and Mayabb).

Last edited:
“Starting”? 😉
Until we see them in action, let's not declare victory yet. This is why they wrestle them. Great recruits promise great wrestlers, but the proof is in the action. Like you, I have every faith that this crew will dominate the mats.

I do say that there has never been a better time to buy a season ticket for Hawkeye Women's wrestling. And if you have to miss a meet, please donate your Tix to Wrestling for Life. I'm certain that GG has many young-uns who would love to go. We need to inspire any young woman who wants to try wrestling. It's good for them and it's good for all of us.

ADVERTISEMENT