ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Won't (Can't) Compete With This

Getting too old to look at anything as black and white and very happy to see Caitlyn Clark come out on the good on this. I learned in business school at Iowa that you have to weigh the cost/benefit ratio of any decision you make. I see the costs of this as outweighing the benefits right now when you look at the big picture. It just seems blatantly unfair to students in golf, rowing, etc. who make just as big of a time commitment to their sport as others who will live on easy street in college just because of their higher profile.
I wonder how many millions universities are pocketing off the labor of their rowers?

The gymnast surprised me but I believe that poster said she was an Olympian. Getting that high caliber of an athlete brings prestige and ultimately $$$ to the school.

As stated earlier in the thread this situation has brewed for a long time and we reacted with a solution that has the potential to make things worse. I like the idea of paying everybody equally followed up with strict enforcement by the NCAA which of course will never happen. No clear cut answers to any of this.
The schools aren’t paying these athletes. It’s a very limited market honestly. The 2nd string tight end isn’t going to get any NIL money anywhere. They have to be worth something to someone to get paid.

Reactions: kceasthawk
The gymnast surprised me but I believe that poster said she was an Olympian. Getting that high caliber of an athlete brings prestige and ultimately $$$ to the school.

As stated earlier in the thread this situation has brewed for a long time and we reacted with a solution that has the potential to make things worse. I like the idea of paying everybody equally followed up with strict enforcement by the NCAA which of course will never happen. No clear cut answers to any of this.
Suni Lee at Auburn--I doubt she got any money to go to Auburn TBH. Most of her NIL money is coming off the Olympics this year. In the past, Olympians often times wouldn't even go to college since they couldn't compete--Simone Biles was committed to go to UCLA until she decided to take her Olympic check instead making her ineligible. Suni Lee has 1.7 million followers on Instagram (meaning any Ad she cuts on social media is likely $10K+ easily). She went on Dancing With the Stars this summer as well.
Rough estimates are: $75K for her medal wins for Team USA, $125K for her Dancing with the Stars appearance, plus any money she is getting via endorsement deals.

The schools aren’t paying these athletes. It’s a very limited market honestly. The 2nd string tight end isn’t going to get any NIL money anywhere. They have to be worth something to someone to get paid.
I get that. I can only say as a newcomer to the south it surprised me to learn how much Alabama has gained from their success in football. It has attracted research dollars and the state even has a little tech triangle now and that kind of stuff breeds more investment. Businesses profit from athletic success and have a self interest in keeping it going.

Apples and oranges I realize but successful athletics in general attracts attention and ultimately $$$ to your school. One hand feeds another and you can never really go wrong following the money. NIL as many have pointed out in different ways will have some benefit to some deserving athletes. But it will also create many headaches and likely some surprises as well.

Reactions: mikesright
I'm not sure you can be too hard on the NCAA. It was formed to create a standard set of rules to promote player safety. Even today, part if it's role is to enforce rules that are established by the schools themselves.

"The rules governing NCAA sports are developed through a member-led governance system. Using this collection of committees led by college and university presidents, athletics directors and college athletes, NCAA members introduce and vote on proposed legislation."

So, I don't think the NCAA has the power to just make rules and enforce them regarding NIL. The schools are going to have to figure this out and assign the NCAA, or some other group, to enforce them.

They are like the IRS. The IRS doesn't make the rules - Congress does. The IRS enforces them.

If you think the current situation is good for Iowa and college athletics then it is you that is cute and naive.
Explain how it directly has hurt Iowa to this point? I keep hearing about the future and “what’s going to happen.” Again, Caitlin Clark is getting NIL money. She’s valuable to Hy Vee. At least they think she is. Let’s look at the Duke team. Is Banchero getting a million dollar NIl deal? I have no idea. I don’t think so. So much is made of this NIL deal but I do t or have not seen an entire team commit because of NIL.

I can only say at this point we can only project how we see the impact of NIL down the road because this process has just started. The effect on competitive balance, team morale, etc. needs time to play out. I see some red lights flashing like some schools using NIL to attract recruits that make it hard to see it resulting in a net plus.

And I do believe our athletic department revenue is/was something like top 15 nationally. I remember Jon Miller talking about this years ago. Not sure where it stands as of 2022, but crying poor is one excuse that doesn't fly with me as it relates to Iowa sports.
Once again, the $$ is NOT supposed to be coming from the school, or their war chest. Not sure how many times we need to cover this. Obviously some schools are working to help "guide" their athletes to certain entities for them to use their NI or L. And yes Iowa has put together such a group according to statements made by KF. He called it "the Iowa collective" and its purpose is to assist players in forming NIL opportunities. However how much revenue the athletic dept. has should have no impact on the NIL....

They should step back and figure how to pay players equally. Scholarship players should get a monthly stipend for expenses since most of them can't work while they are in the program for spending money. A good idea would be to market something like t-shirts, mugs, and other keepsakes and then equally divide the proceeds with players to a maximum of a determined amount per month. The current situation will kill college sports as we know it. It is now an approved way instead of cheating that has been going on for years.
This is never what the NIL was about. Its NOT a sharing program. Its about allowing players to benefit from THEIR own marketability. Its not a "make a big pool of money, and share it with everyone".

Reactions: littlez
This is never what the NIL was about. Its NOT a sharing program. Its about allowing players to benefit from THEIR own marketability. Its not a "make a big pool of money, and share it with everyone".
This. Why is NIL so hard for people to understand? Caitlin Clark is marketable. Petras not so much! It’s not a pool of money to share.

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild
You have made good points two posts in a row here. I think the question becomes more should we not make it more of a general stipend to help all athletes defray some of the rising cost of living expenses while they get get their education and participate in their sports of choice.

Some athletes obviously have way more marketability than others and I don't know that we create a very healthy situation with this NIL setup. Some schools will cheat and abuse the system no matter which way we go and I trust Iowa to go about this right. I just wonder how much we will like what college athletics look like down the road.

Once again, the $$ is NOT supposed to be coming from the school, or their war chest. Not sure how many times we need to cover this. Obviously some schools are working to help "guide" their athletes to certain entities for them to use their NI or L. And yes Iowa has put together such a group according to statements made by KF. He called it "the Iowa collective" and its purpose is to assist players in forming NIL opportunities. However how much revenue the athletic dept. has should have no impact on the NIL....
I would guess a few schools will break the dam where NIL collectives get in charge of various fundraising tools, like suites and donation levels to get season tickets, in order to funnel extra money towards their collective (which would then be distributed to players based on the contracts they sign).

Iowa is going to have in excess of $100 million in funding just from the B1G media rights deals, not counting the myriad of other funding tools they have. There is a river of money and it shouldn’t just go to the football coaches.

My hope is that someday rather quickly the NCAA decides that it can’t regulate this space and allows schools to directly negotiate with and pay players rather than having middlemen here.

You have made good points two posts in a row here. I think the question becomes more should we not make it more of a general stipend to help all athletes defray some of the rising cost of living expenses while they get get their education and participate in their sports of choice.

Some athletes obviously have way more marketability than others and I don't know that we create a very healthy situation with this NIL setup. Some schools will cheat and abuse the system no matter which way we go and I trust Iowa to go about this right. I just wonder how much we will like what college athletics look like down the road.
Okay, here's the issue when you say"should we make it more of a general stipend to help ALL athletes". Who is the "we should". This has nothing to do with Iowa specifically. You realize all of this came about because of court cases started years and years ago by former players like Ed O Bannon. These players thought it was unfair practice that THEIR, "Name, Image, and Likeness" were being used by the universities to market the universities athletic programs, as well as the schools themselves and the schools were reaping the profits from this without any payment to those individuals who were actually the ones being marketed. NIL came about as a way to make available some recourse for said players without actually calling them employees. What your proposing is something totally different from what has been agreed upon by the NCAA and the courts and whomever all has been involved in this process. I agree this thing appears to be a very slippery slope so far, but will see over time. As others have stated it will probably to little to change the status quo from the current haves and the have nots.

Reactions: hawkeyemark56
Okay, here's the issue when you say"should we make it more of a general stipend to help ALL athletes". Who is the "we should". This has nothing to do with Iowa specifically. You realize all of this came about because of court cases started years and years ago by former players like Ed O Bannon. These players thought it was unfair practice that THEIR, "Name, Image, and Likeness" were being used by the universities to market the universities athletic programs, as well as the schools themselves and the schools were reaping the profits from this without any payment to those individuals who were actually the ones being marketed. NIL came about as a way to make available some recourse for said players without actually calling them employees. What your proposing is something totally different from what has been agreed upon by the NCAA and the courts and whomever all has been involved in this process. I agree this thing appears to be a very slippery slope so far, but will see over time. As others have stated it will probably to little to change the status quo from the current haves and the have nots.
You brought up some history I had forgotten about. I used we in general reference to all of college sports not just Iowa. So if schools just paid players directly out of revenues and athletic donations would that classify them as employees and run into legal issues? I like the idea of keeping the NCAA out of it but maybe we have no way around that.

You brought up some history I had forgotten about. I used we in general reference to all of college sports not just Iowa. So if schools just paid players directly out of revenues and athletic donations would that classify them as employees and run into legal issues? I like the idea of keeping the NCAA out of it but maybe we have no way around that.
I would think there would be issues both for the schools, and for the "employees". I think the NIL agreement was basically a way to appease those wanting a share without crossing that bridge no doubt filled with landmines and unexpected pitfalls....

I would think there would be issues both for the schools, and for the "employees". I think the NIL agreement was basically a way to appease those wanting a share without crossing that bridge no doubt filled with landmines and unexpected pitfalls....
Makes sense to me and as I see it we end up with a situation where nobody really wins other than the select group of athletes who end up with NIL.

NIL is big business; very big business.

My oldest daughter (no pics) lives in L.A. and works for a big tech company. Her long time boyfriend works for a sports management agency that represents athletes and arranges for promotional opportunities for athletes. He's been with the agency for about 9 months now (he transitioned from CAA) and he is almost exclusively working on NIL deals for athletes who have retained his agency. I spent a week in L.A. with the family during my younger daughter's (no pics) Spring Break. Had a long conversation with the boyfriend about what they are doing and the types of NIL deals that are in the marketplace.

FWIW, look at this job listing for a sports management company (emphasis added). https://app.trinethire.com/companie...-lifestyle-relations-basketball-nyc-la-or-mia

Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
· Proactively monitors industry and business trade news, trends and social media to identify brands that may be of interest to our clients.
· Organizes and conducts outreach specific to targeted brands for value-in-kind and barter opportunities for Excel’s basketball & NIL clients.

While my crystal ball is fuzzy as to how this will all play out going forward, I can state with a reasonable degree of confidence that there will be pressure on some athletes to transfer schools simply because they'd be able to generate much more NIL revenue by being in a different market.

This. Why is NIL so hard for people to understand? Caitlin Clark is marketable. Petras not so much! It’s not a pool of money to share.
My point was a stipend to give athletes spending money. A free education is worth a lot! NIL will kill college athletics as we know it!

Explain how it directly has hurt Iowa to this point? I keep hearing about the future and “what’s going to happen.” Again, Caitlin Clark is getting NIL money. She’s valuable to Hy Vee. At least they think she is. Let’s look at the Duke team. Is Banchero getting a million dollar NIl deal? I have no idea. I don’t think so. So much is made of this NIL deal but I do t or have not seen an entire team commit because of NIL.
Texas A&M has the #1 recruiting class in football. I’ve read it only cost them $31 million in NIL money. I guess maybe you should pony up then.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
Texas A&M has the #1 recruiting class in football. I’ve read it only cost them $31 million in NIL money. I guess maybe you should pony up then.
My point was a stipend to give athletes spending money. A free education is worth a lot! NIL will kill college athletics as we know it!
Your Texas A&M example shows exactly why. Had a good discussion above about the legalities of schools paying players directly and making them "employees". I just see the NCAA as totally dropping the ball on this. Have a hard time seeing why you couldn't make some kind of stipend work out and have it stand up vice the schools just paying the players. The NCAA in its incompetence in a number of areas got us here IMO.

Texas A & M always has a top 10 class. The school didn’t pay. Again, you’ve got it wrong on how it works. But carry on with your misinformation.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Why would I pay? Let’s see what good it does for them. Maybe they won’t be the 4th best team in the SEC.

Texas A & M always has a top 10 class. The school didn’t pay. Again, you’ve got it wrong on how it works. But carry on with your misinformation.
That school just signed 7 five stars in one class which is a new record even in this stratified era where blue bloods hoover them all up in the top 5 classes. It would be surprising even if Alabama or Georgia pulled this off. I can guarantee you these kids aren’t lining up like this just because they like Jimbo

So why shouldn’t we able to compete with Arkansas? We just got done winning the Big Ten tournament and had a helluva season, tournament choke be damned. All our fans do is whine about what we can’t do or how we can’t compete. It’s tiresome.
I see what you are saying, but I am not so sure Arkansas is a good example. I think they have myriad of 4 and 5 star recruits coming in next year the likes of which we will never see happen at Iowa in our lifetime.:(

Reactions: Ronman
Nothing is fair. Each athlete negotiates their own NIL.
Are they now allowed to hire financial advisors?
I read that there was a rich guy up in East Lansing that planned to give a healthy amount ($500/month?) to EVERY player on the football and basketball teams. Now I don't know if he followed through with this or how sustainable it is, but that was the plan.

Last edited:
If you think the current situation is good for Iowa and college athletics then it is you that is cute and naive.
Did you happen to read the title of this thread you're posting in? The one I started? In my opinion, there is no fix for this unless the NCAA grows a set and TRIES to put on some limits. But they've been battling the push for NIL for at least a decade and now it appears they have lost the battle. I would have suggested that schools that don't allow NIL would only compete with other like minded schools, but what student athlete in his right mind would make the choice to play for them unless they were emotionally tied to the school?

Last edited:
Are they now allowed t hire financial advisors?

I read that there was a rich guy up in East Lansing that planned to give a healthy amount ($500/month?) to EVERY player on the football and basketball teams. Now I don't know if he followed through with this or how sustainable it is, but that was the plan.
So that rich guy who is paying a guy 6K a year does that player need to hire a financial advisor? At this point, what is this guy really getting out of this? What does this do for him? Are 4-5 star players lining up to play football at Michigan State because of 6K? And Izzo isn't going to change how he coaches. You play his way or you don't play, which is why he never truly gets the bluebloods that Duke gets. He gets the best guys in our league normally but not the elite of the elite. I don't see that changing. And I still stand by my point. There is nothing Arkansas has to offer as a school or program that Iowa can't or doesn't have. Now they are on a 2 year run to the final 4 and it seems their coach is well liked. I haven't seen that these recruits are getting huge NIL money at Arkansas. I could be wrong.

How did you arrive at the 6K figure? It was $500 a month for every football and basketball player. That adds up to a far greater sum than 6K, probably closer to 200K a year

Did you happen to read the title of this thread you're posting in? The one I started? In my opinion, there is no fix for this unless the NCAA grows a set and TRIES to put on some limits. But they've been battling the push for NIL for at least a decade and now it appears they have lost the battle. I would have suggested that schools that don't allow NIL would only compete with other like minded schools, but what student athlete in his right mind would make the choice to play for them unless they were emotionally tied to the school?
Another good post on this topic. In all honesty I haven't followed the NIL issue enough to realize that the NCAA has fought an ongoing battle against this and I would guess that would apply to others. They very much do need to put some limits on it before things get totally out of hand and college athletics as we know it now completely changes. It probably ties in with the legal issues another poster referenced earlier.

I get that. I can only say as a newcomer to the south it surprised me to learn how much Alabama has gained from their success in football. It has attracted research dollars and the state even has a little tech triangle now and that kind of stuff breeds more investment. Businesses profit from athletic success and have a self interest in keeping it going.

Apples and oranges I realize but successful athletics in general attracts attention and ultimately $$$ to your school. One hand feeds another and you can never really go wrong following the money. NIL as many have pointed out in different ways will have some benefit to some deserving athletes. But it will also create many headaches and likely some surprises as well.
I don't believe that athletics has anything to do with research dollars. The Ivy's and others of their ilk get huge research dollars without any athletics to speak of. Academics and specialized academic research programs drive funding. Not a single SEC school appears in the top 20 of research funds and by far the largest recipient is John's Hopkins. Can you name John's Hopkins mascot?

Alabama and other SEC schools have been very aggressive in reaching out of state to attract a better class of student over the last 10 years to improve their academic rankings. A significant number of local kids from the Chicago area including our local high schools are attending Alabama on full ride academic scholarships.

I don't believe that athletics has anything to do with research dollars. The Ivy's and others of their ilk get huge research dollars without any athletics to speak of. Academics and specialized academic research programs drive funding. Not a single SEC school appears in the top 20 of research funds and by far the largest recipient is John's Hopkins. Can you name John's Hopkins mascot?

Alabama and other SEC schools have been very aggressive in reaching out of state to attract a better class of student over the last 10 years to improve their academic rankings. A significant number of local kids from the Chicago area including our local high schools are attending Alabama on full ride academic scholarships.
Thought I had read about the research dollars increasing but can't verify that one way or another. I do know from people I know here who have relatives in Alabama that the state has made some significant strides economically including getting some big government contracts I didn't even know about. Getting higher caliber students most certainly plays into it as well as we have good weather and a comparatively reasonable cost of living and no doubt some of them stay around.

kisspng-logo-johns-hopkins-blue-jays-football-johns-hopkin-5bea053aa240c1.4818897215420634186646.jpg

Thought I had read about the research dollars increasing but can't verify that one way or another. I do know from people I know here who have relatives in Alabama that the state has made some significant strides economically including getting some big government contracts I didn't even know about. Getting higher caliber students most certainly plays into it as well as we have good weather and a comparatively reasonable cost of living and no doubt some of them stay around.
Alabama has been helped significantly by out of state students. What's happened in the South is there is a huge shortage of college eligible male students. The Texas 10% or in some cases top 8% of your class makes it very hard for a majority of Texas students to stay in state. My brothers son was a math wiz who I believe scored a 34-35 on the ACT in math but just ok in the other parts. He basically went to Bama for almost free and is now an actuary. They are recruiting Texas very hard. Also be surprised at the amount of East coast kids attending Bama these days.

I agree that it’s not good….and I have a hard time seeing anything changing for the better in the future.

As far as the “woke” movement….disagree completely. This has been percolating for decades, way before the woke stuff. It’s mostly a problem born from imbalances that have now gotten a dramatic over correction.
I disagree.
It is woke from the perspective that it was driven by the you g ones who have all these great ideas of how utopia is going to bloom with their fantastic ideas of fairness and equity etc. etc. and then years later they head executes dislodged and they THEN can see the consequences that they never took a minute to ponder.
WHOOPS, too late. Now you have screwed the pooch so bad it cannot be fixed.
No worries. I have plenty other hobbies I can spend my free time and money on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT