ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa wrestle-off pairings

If Wilke has made significant gains and is a top 4-5 guy this year, it will make me feel much better if Warner can't beat him. Even with that, I'd expect Warner to be very close with him.

I think the world of Warner but most true frosh get rolled hard early in a D1 room. Especially at the upper weights where size and strength are more of an issue.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
I was hoping Duggan would be a surprise participant at 141 and give Turk and Happel a run for their money.

I would have guessed it more likely that you would be critical of Turk and Happel if a guy who was .500 last season wrestling in opens gave either one a run.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
I think the world of Warner but most true frosh get rolled hard early in a D1 room. Especially at the upper weights where size and strength are more of an issue.
I agree most do. Top 10 P4Ps shouldn't anymore. They should be ready to step in and compete for high AAs. Two true freshman have made the finals at 197 in the last 5 years. Other true freshman finalists from 174 up in the last 5 years.

If he is who we though he is, I'd expect him to beat Cash. If Cash was an AA and had a great year last year, it'd be different.

I agree most do. Top 10 P4Ps shouldn't anymore. They should be ready to step in and compete for high AAs. Two true freshman have made the finals at 197 in the last 5 years. Other true freshman finalists from 174 up in the last 5 years.

If he is who we though he is, I'd expect him to beat Cash. If Cash was an AA and had a great year last year, it'd be different.

Too much of a blanket statement, IMHO. Not all top 10 P4Ps are created equal. FWIW, I believe the only "true" freshman finalist in the past 5 years has been Cox. Snyder spent a year in Colorado Springs. Also, these two guys are basically freaks, IMHO.

Also, for the record, I'm not saying Warner can't or won't beat Wilcke. He may very well beat him. I just won't be surprised at all if he doesn't at this point. At the end of the year I might feel differently.

Reactions: LaxHawk174
Snyder spent his senior year of high school in Colorado Springs and was a true freshman. Mark Hall was also a true freshman.

Reactions: IAChief32
Big difference between the beginning of the year and the end for true freshmen in my opinion. Seeing true freshman win at the NCAA tournament doesn't mean they were winning in the practice room day 1.

Good call which builds on my point. Crab brought up Mark Hall who was a true frosh NCAA champ last year but he lost to a meh wrestler in his first tournament. And later when the redshirt came off he lost to Alex Meyer. By the end of the year it was a different story.

I'm interested to see how Sam Cook does if he faces Wilcke. He's a year removed from a wrestling room but he reminds me of a Morgan McIntosh style of wrestler.

Being in the Iowa football weight program probably puts him ahead of most 1st year wrestlers.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
Too much of a blanket statement, IMHO. Not all top 10 P4Ps are created equal. FWIW, I believe the only "true" freshman finalist in the past 5 years has been Cox. Snyder spent a year in Colorado Springs. Also, these two guys are basically freaks, IMHO.

Also, for the record, I'm not saying Warner can't or won't beat Wilcke. He may very well beat him. I just won't be surprised at all if he doesn't at this point. At the end of the year I might feel differently.
I put zero stock in intersquad results, but if Warner can't beat Wilcke right now and in the future, he's not the recruit we thought we were getting, IMO.

Wilcke's not some chump, but he's not a returning multi time All-American either. If you expect guys like Warner to carry your program, they better hit the ground running, from Day One, regardless of redshirt status.

Reactions: crapman
I would assume Duggan is ineligible this season since it his second D1 transfer and third school.

I put zero stock in intersquad results, but if Warner can't beat Wilcke right now and in the future, he's not the recruit we thought we were getting, IMO.

Wilcke's not some chump, but he's not a returning multi time All-American either. If you expect guys like Warner to carry your program, they better hit the ground running, from Day One, regardless of redshirt status.
Huh! Interesting take. McDonough was 22-8 as a redshirt freshman. So, I guess I understand your concern, he will suck if he doesn't beat Wilcke.

where would one park for this since it's at 3 in the afternoon...are the lots still monitored with permits? TIA

Would have gone over with you, but work calling and couldn't get away. I would park at the Vine or Wig and Pen and walk up.

Would have gone over with you, but work calling and couldn't get away. I would park at the Vine or Wig and Pen and walk up.

Understood...im heading to CR after to hang with the folks as I need to be in Madison at 7am Saturday...good opportunity that couldn't be missed!

Huh! Interesting take. McDonough was 22-8 as a redshirt freshman. So, I guess I understand your concern, he will suck if he doesn't beat Wilcke.
If you don't understand there isn't much I can do for you.

So Mark Hall is a more highly ranked recruit and lost to a meh wrestler from Eastern Michigan(?) early last year and Alex Meyer mid year but still be a stud that won a title as a true frosh but Jacob Warner should be held to a different standard and better hit the ground running or he’s not very good.

Spare me.

So Mark Hall is a more highly ranked recruit and lost to a meh wrestler from Eastern Michigan(?) early last year and Alex Meyer mid year but still be a stud that won a title as a true frosh but Jacob Warner should be held to a different standard and better hit the ground running or he’s not very good.

Spare me.

Exactly. Now if at the end of the year, he was getting majored/controlled by guys who are r12/r16 then we should be very concerned. I think he can beat Wilcke but I don’t think he will. At the end year? I think he beats him and would be an AA.

Not sure we have seen an answer to this.
I think the thought by op was he had one match and then eliminated, rather than the truth of wrestling Turk or winner on other side. Since Saturday wasn’t mentioned like it should have been, to be absolutely clear. In other words, you are better at figuring things out that are unwritten than he is.

Brownlee beat Cook 4-3 on a stalling call. Warner dominated Corbin 20-5 techfall. Murin beat Meyer, think score was 8-4. Pretty much all Murin. He was in on a number of shots, although not all clean, Meyer one.

Warner scored with various shots from neuteral, and turns. Brownlee and Cook pretty much a toss up.

Brownlee beat Cook 4-3 on a stalling call. Warner dominated Corbin 20-5 techfall. Murin beat Meyer, think score was 8-4. Pretty much all Murin. He was in on a number of shots, although not all clean, Meyer one.

Warner scored with various shots from neuteral, and turns. Brownlee and Cook pretty much a toss up.

Thanks BB! How was the attendance?

Nov 3, Friday 3:30 matchups

Stick v Perez
Turk v Murin
Murphy v Happel
Sorenson v Alvarez
Glosser v Lugo
McDonald v Shaw
Wilke v Brownlee
Warner v Holloway

These are according to Hawkeye Wrestling Twitter

i'll be there with my son...will the others be working out in another area, or is it just wrestle-offs, and then practice after?

Reactions: PinsNpints
Nov 3, Friday 3:30 matchups

Stick v Perez
Turk v Murin
Murphy v Happel
Sorenson v Alvarez
Glosser v Lugo
McDonald v Shaw
Wilke v Brownlee
Warner v Holloway

These are according to Hawkeye Wrestling Twitter

So does Lugo plan on taking a red shirt this year and replacing Sorensen?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT