ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa wrestling and gambling

OblongKaleidoscopicBernesemountaindog-max-1mb.gif
Well, I support it. I've made a fortune betting against the Hawkeyes in big matches.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
Kyle Hightower pens about "Dancing with the Devil". The article underscores the integrity of professional sports gambling. However it is certainly conceivable the issues discussed in this article could soon be at the doorstep of amateur/NCAA athletics. Sportsradar flagged 1200 suspicious games in twelve (12) distinct sports during 2022.

An aside, I am intrigued about the monitoring of University of Iowa athletes involved in gaming activities. I have seen the State of Iowa DCI (Department of Criminal Investigation) referenced in this thread. Questions, does the University of Iowa articulate with DCI in these matters; collaborate with the IRS on gaming issues; communicate with the NCAA regarding gaming violations? Where does the athletic department’s Compliance Office enter into this whole protection paradigm? What are the NCAA/University of Iowa mechanics of this gaming business? Attachment.
1000.webp

https://apnews.com/article/sports-b...cd3a/gallery/b50294277f9842789ce5e19fde73884f

Last edited:
Can someone update me on the rumor mill? How many Iowa wrestlers currently on the roster are supposedly being investigated? I've heard Kennedy and Nelson were the 2 big names. Anyone else hearing the same thing? If true that would suck most for Nelson, he has a lot of momentum going for him. If this were true and they had to sit out a season. slot in Caliendo at 165 and Arnold at 174. If Arnold still red shirts, Swafford would be the man.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Can someone update me on the rumor mill? How many Iowa wrestlers currently on the roster are supposedly being investigated? I've heard Kennedy and Nelson were the 2 big names. Anyone else hearing the same thing? If true that would suck most for Nelson, he has a lot of momentum going for him. If this were true and they had to sit out a season. slot in Caliendo at 165 and Arnold at 174. If Arnold still red shirts, Swafford would be the man.

I have never read anything other than speculation, and people who "hear rumblings" but are really just getting it from other message boards or Twitter.

Your post is quite sensical but no idea if that's actually the case.

Reactions: el dub and Gutt15
Sounds like NCAA is making the gambling penalties may be much less severe than people expected.

Less than 30% of the season as long as you didn’t bet on your team/sport I believe - and only 50% of a season if you bet on your sport (but not your team).

Last edited:
Cassioppi and Kennedy are likely the big names, with 3 other less prominent guys.
I’m glad the NCAA reduced the severity of punishments but if Cass and Kennedy bet on the Iowa women’s basketball team they could still face permanent loss of eligibility. That seems a bit harsh.

Has this been posted yet on this forum? SIAP
The NCAA has some new guidelines regarding student-athletes and sports wagering, particularly re: reinstatement policies.

For all wagering-related violations reported on or after May 2, the following guidelines will apply:

• Student-athletes who engage in activities to influence the outcomes of their own games or knowingly provide information to individuals involved in sports betting activities will potentially face permanent loss of collegiate eligibility in all sports. This would also apply to student-athletes who wager on their own games or on other sports at their own schools.
  • If a student-athlete wagers on their own sport at another school, education on sports wagering rules and prevention will be required as a condition of reinstatement, and the loss of 50% of one season of eligibility will be considered.
  • For all other wagering-related violations (e.g., wagering on professional sports), cumulative dollar value of the wagers will be taken into consideration with the following terms for reinstatement:
    • $200 or less: sports wagering rules and prevention education.
    • $201-$500: loss of 10% of a season of eligibility, plus rules and prevention education.
    • $501-$800: loss of 20% of a season of eligibility, plus rules and prevention education.
    • Greater than $800: loss of 30% of a season of eligibility, plus rules and prevention education.
For cumulative wagering activities that greatly exceed $800, NCAA reinstatement staff are directed to consider whether additional loss of eligibility, including permanent ineligibility, are appropriate.

Obviously this could be quite relevant to Iowa (and Iowa State) athletes under investigation for sports wagering.

MORE HERE: https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/6/28...uidelines-for-sports-wagering-violations.aspx

I'm feeling better about this than I
did yesterday in terms of length of suspension.

That said, until details are released on the individuals involved, it's just speculation.

Who demands sources from inside info being divulged? If they tell us, they might not be given the privilege of leaking the next morsel, eh? Lol
Facts matter? A false-light invasion? Transparency a hallmark of a good study/analysis? Sunlight is said to be a very good disinfectant.

Heard one of them may have bet on himself. Nothing to back it up, just a rumor I heard.
I don't believe individual matches of Iowa or Iowa st athletes were ever posted to be bet on. Odds for duals were posted

I don't believe individual matches of Iowa or Iowa st athletes were ever posted to be bet on. Odds for duals were posted
Yea, don’t really know much about what you can or can’t bet on, heard it was on a tournament type situation.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT