ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Post Game Analysis: Northwestern

@no_one_ - Petras did play a decent game, as I'm sure he plays well against the scout team. The problem is every QB they have faced has played BETTER than Petras. For example, Wisconsin's terrible QB was all world against them, going 20-29 for 300 yards and 5 touchdowns. Bottom feeder Nebraska threw for 355 yards against these guys. So I dare say any QB on Iowa's roster could have carved up that defense. For the future of the program, it would have been nice to see Padilla or Labas get a shot to show what they can do against a cupcake to gain experience.

@hawkifann - it doesn't concern you that the team's best RB started at the bottom of the depth chart just 2 months ago? Or that he is only playing more now because everyone has actually had a chance to see him produce on the field? Just like Iowa's freshmen phenom kicker didn't see the field until the inferior guy picked to play ahead of him botched one too many kicks? Who's to say Iowa's 3rd string QB wouldn't have performed better this season than Petras if he got a chance? We will never know. Personnel decisions by an extremely stubborn and egotistical coach are subjective and can often be wrong. Backups should always take snaps and get opportunities.

@EvilMonkeyInTheCloset - if Gavin Williams has been "hurt all year," why did he still get 16 carries just a few weeks ago (averaging just 3.6 yards per carry). Why is an injured guy still listed as "starter" in the depth chart nearly every week? If he isn't 100% healthy, and barely averages 3 yards per carry, there's no excuse for playing the guy if there are better, healthier backs on the bench. Again, it proves that personnel decisions are often wrong and the best players don't always get playing time...Williams is just the most obvious example because we have actually seen the body of work of each of the top 3 backs.

@BigDan21 - you are correct. Padilla absolutely played better than Petras in the little we've seen of him. In fact, it's not even close. Obviously he had jitters getting fed to the wolves taking his first snap in nearly 12 months at the Horseshoe after Petras dug him an insurmountable hole, but the guy dodged 3 sure fire sacks that Petras would have taken and throws a better ball. The fact that he didn't start against Northwestern is an embarrassment.
Lol, what did I tell you about @'ing me? @IowasLaw

@hawkifann - you continue to miss the point on personnel/playing time. Is it intentional? As stated, RB is merely the tangible example of personnel errors because it's the only position where the 3rd stringer regularly gets playing time. Fans can compare and contrast the #1, #2, and #3 and their stats speak for themselves. If your point is that younger guys often improve during the season and could ultimately pass older guys on the depth chart...then you successfully made my point. I agree Johnson may not have been the best back on day one but improved enough to clearly become the best back. This is likely true for many positions. Kirk's infamous "union card," or adherence to "body of work" instead of talent seems to disqualify younger guys from getting reps over inferior seniors like Petras (perhaps senior walk on Schulte starting at safety over some extremely talented younger guys is another example). It's highly probably that young guys like Nwankpa or Labas/May have improved exponentially faster over the past 3 months than the long-term system guys playing ahead of them. We just don't get to see what they can do on the field, whereas Johnson plays.
JFC, your argument is ridiculous. You’re basically arguing that Iowa should start the #3 because with playing time he might be better than the #1.

Effectively, Iowa started getting their #2 (de facto #2 because Gavin was out) work in the first game and continued to increase his role as he became more effective. You’re pointing to personnel errors, but I don’t think there were any at RB.

If Gavin had been healthy from the jump, who knows, he could be having a fantastic year….but he wasn’t, so the room changed. I’m not missing the point on personnel - there is no point because there are no personnel errors. I mean, I guess Jaizun Patterson isn’t getting much work and maybe he’s better than everyone else?🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
JFC, your argument is ridiculous. You’re basically arguing that Iowa should start the #3 because with playing time he might be better than the #1.

If Gavin had been healthy from the jump, who knows, he could be having a fantastic year….but he wasn’t, so the room changed. I’m not missing the point on personnel - there is no point because there are no personnel errors.
"There is no point because there are no personnel errors on this 4-4 roster, Kirk is God, can do no wrong, and is extremely attractive." ~ hawkifann. lol What an absolute boot licking Ferentz apologist. It's embarrassing.

Not surprisingly, former Hawkeye 5th string WR, Charlie Jones, may disagree with ya on your supreme knowlege of personnel evaluation. Kirk brushed off his blatant personnel mistake this week, saying Charlie suddenly became a super star this year in spring ball. Kirk bragged that he had already identified the improvement and he would have had a big season at Iowa.

@EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

Last edited:
"There are no personnel errors on this 4-4 roster, Kirk is God, can do no wrong, and is extremely attractive." ~ hawkifann. Not surprisingly, the 5th string WR on last year's Hawkeye roster, Charlie Jones, may disagree with ya when he makes 1st team all-Big 10. Of course, as Kirk said this week...it wasn't a personnel mistake, Charlie merely became exponentially better in his 5th season of spring ball. lol

@EvilMonkeyInTheCloset
Of course that’s not what he said. At all.

"There are no personnel errors on this 4-4 roster, Kirk is God, can do no wrong, and is extremely attractive." ~ hawkifann. Not surprisingly, the 5th string WR on last year's Hawkeye roster, Charlie Jones, may disagree with ya when he makes 1st team all-Big 10. Of course, as Kirk said this week...it wasn't a personnel mistake, Charlie merely became exponentially better in his 5th season of spring ball at Iowa, which Kirk identified, then he hit the transfer portal with his new found skills. lol

@EvilMonkeyInTheCloset
Which, of course, is not at all what I said...but feel proud of your victory.

The Charlie Jones move and subsequent success has exactly nothing to do with Iowa’s decisions on who gets carries in the running game. Charlie could have been the #1 coming into this season and he wouldn’t be sniffing the numbers he’s putting up at Purdue.

"There are no personnel errors on this 4-4 roster, Kirk is God, can do no wrong, and is extremely attractive." ~ hawkifann. Not surprisingly, the 5th string WR on last year's Hawkeye roster, Charlie Jones, may disagree with ya when he makes 1st team all-Big 10. Of course, as Kirk said this week...it wasn't a personnel mistake, Charlie merely became exponentially better in his 5th season of spring ball at Iowa, which Kirk identified, then he hit the transfer portal with his new found skills. lol

@EvilMonkeyInTheCloset
Way too short of a post for you. Are you feeling okay?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT