ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's Nickel Deposit Poll

What do you do with your nickel deposit cans and bottles?

• I throw them in the trash

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • I recycle them

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I return them to get my nickel back

Votes: 72 58.1%

• Total voters
There is no option for fill with urine and throw out the window on I-80. Elitist poll.

629737-33399b8e-ef9a-11e2-a799-ec5c9dace08a.jpg

i typically recycle or throw them away.
On the rare occasion when I take them to them dumb machines, they either have lines waiting to use them or the fill up and spit a receipt out as soon as i start feeding them. And then if you take it to Wal Mart, they don't accept all bottles (just bottles from things they sell?). Typically i end up leaving what i brought in bags on the floor. some poor usually ends up grabbing them because the bags are gone by the time i get what i went to the store for in the first place.

Not worth the time or effort for the hassle of dealing with those damn machines.

I wonder how much his dignity is worth per hour. I mean can you imagine what his neighbors think when they see him dumpster diving at the convenience store for $.15 in cans

You care what your neighbors think when you are doing something good?

when it involves digging through garbage, I would have to say yes

"Digging" is just not accurate as to what I do. I look in. If I see a recyclable (nickel or otherwise) and it looks clean, I pull it out.

Not helping save resources for fear what others will think is pitiful. How about, instead, being an example of what really matters?

Used to have a can shed box in college, save up the money several times and host a party.

Now, I just toss em.

Ummm, do you have proof everyone recycles and don't just litter?

Until there is near 100% recycling I say we should expand the law.

No I don't have proof everyone recycles nor did I make that claim. Does anyone have proof that Iowa's roadsides are cleaner than other states?

I'd say grubbing through others' refuse is a form of effort.

It is. Just very, very little. The point being that, to those saying recycling rates are so much better now than when the bottle law was enacted, I say maybe, but still plenty going in the trash, if I can find so many so easily.

Should add "fast food" to the list of items needing a deposit law.
If you wish to question this, then I suggest you consider volunteering for roadside cleanup!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT