• Yes

• No

• Only in their early career

• OP’s mom’s pubic hair is the only hair I discuss

Results are only viewable after voting.

ping72

HR Legend
Jan 14, 2009
Do you consider them a hairband such as Def Lepard, Warrant, etc?

I do… I just think they grew out of it where most of the other hair bands flamed out pretty quickly.

They had the hair, the sexually ambiguous look, the soft rock sound.

What say you?

Reactions: fsu1jreed

I do… I just think they grew out of it where most of the other hair bands flamed out pretty quickly.

What say you?
Obviously yes.

I just want to give OP a pat on the back for making the voting results public.

hero.jpg

Reactions: ping72
Have you seen clips of Bon Jovi on his recent tour? He can't hit a note and is lip syncing. It's sad

Of course, they are one of the kings of hair.

I'll give props to Jon for putting his money where his mouth is, he does quite a bit good particularly in New Jersey/New York.

And to another poster's point, he definitely has lost the high notes, but they still sell out large venues and it creates a hell of a revenue stream for the aforementioned good causes.

Personally, I really like some of the unknown album tracks from back in their hay days like this one....

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I think several bands traversed the Hair/Glam Band era by adapting, but weren't Hair Bands before/after. Here's what I consider to be true Hair Bands:

- Cinderella
- Trixter
- Firehouse
- Poison
- Britny Fox
- Warrant

Bands that traversed the era
- Bon Jovi
- Def Leppard
- Van Halen
- Aerosmith
- KISS (an anomaly...they were doing something unique starting in the 70s)

I'm on the fence with Motley Crue

Img418022469.jpg

vs
tumblr_lvuh2vSRhT1qh5mm2o1_1280.png

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
I guess that's a good distinction. ...I tend to group the two together.
Yeah, they always do - honestly a band like Trixter was pretty much a Bon Jovi copycat, bit more jeans and T-shirt than peak Bon Jovi, but actually a very talented young group that was just a bit late to the party

Yes. They were one of the leaders of the sissy wave. All sizzle, no steak. Poison was also garbage. If you like(d) these bands, you are a fembot.

I think several bands traversed the Hair/Glam Band era by adapting, but weren't Hair Bands before/after. Here's what I consider to be true Hair Bands:

- Cinderella
- Trixter
- Firehouse
- Poison
- Britny Fox
- Warrant

- Bon Jovi
- Def Leppard
- Van Halen
- Aerosmith

Img418022469.jpg

vs

Cinderella was never a hair band, they just got conned into the look for their debut album cover. They were much more blues based, Stonesy by the second and third records. Kind of like the Black Crowes a couple years later were.

Reactions: stillh8unlv

- Cinderella
- Trixter
- Firehouse
- Poison
- Britny Fox
- Warrant

- Bon Jovi
- Def Leppard
- Van Halen
- Aerosmith

Img418022469.jpg

vs
Yeah, I can see how you'd be on the fence about MC...

Mo%CC%88tley-Cru%CC%88e-GettyImages-1202277301-1000x600.jpg

Reactions: Funky Bunch
THE_DEVIL is a life long member of the ADHD club. One of the things that kept me on an even keel was listening to hairband music. The music was so milquetoast to me that I could keep it running in the background and still focus on what I was doing. Basically dividing and conquering the ADHD. I did that everyday during work from about 2000 to around 2017. Same songs, same playlists.

Sirius Sat. Radio channel 027 if I remember correctly.

Sounds sad and pathetic, but I could have turned to much worse things. :) :)

Have you seen clips of Bon Jovi on his recent tour? He can't hit a note and is lip syncing. It's sad
most acts mentioned here need to stop touring. Motley Crue was AMAZING.... in 2009, the last time I spent money to see them. Now, not so much.

I keep getting Facebook feeds mentioning these guys' birthdays. Joe Perry is 71, etc. They're old.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Heck yeah they are a hair band, I can't hate them though. Teenage me had some very good times with lady friends that really liked his music. Saw them live in CR, Carver and QC in the late 80's/early 90's.

- Cinderella
- Trixter
- Firehouse
- Poison
- Britny Fox
- Warrant

- Bon Jovi
- Def Leppard
- Van Halen
- Aerosmith

Img418022469.jpg

vs

Aerosmith formed in 1970. They may have ridden a little bit of the hairband wave… But they certainly predate the genre/movement.

Yeah, broadly speaking they fit the mold. I tend to associate hair bands more with LA, but BJ still loosely fits.

To me, a hair band is a post Van Halen band that copied the look in most respects, and tried to copy the music but none really succeeded with that. Note that I have never subscribed to aligning VH with being a hair band - just the myriad of copy cats of them sort of morphed into the so-called hair-band genre.

Bon Jovi I think fits, albeit loosely. They were roughly 5 years after Van Halen, and I've always thought they owed everything they ever became to Van Halen. Just look at the video for Living On A Prayer and tell me you don't see a blatant ripoff.

1986 I believe...

Yeah, broadly speaking they fit the mold. I tend to associate hair bands more with LA, but BJ still loosely fits.

To me, a hair band is a post Van Halen band that copied the look in most respects, and tried to copy the music but none really succeeded with that. Note that I have never subscribed to aligning VH with being a hair band - just the myriad of copy cats of them sort of morphed into the so-called hair-band genre.

Bon Jovi I think fits, albeit loosely. They were roughly 5 years after Van Halen, and I've always thought they owed everything they ever became to Van Halen. Just look at the video for Living On A Prayer and tell me you don't see a blatant ripoff.

1986 I believe...

Sam hears ya!

Reactions: bagdropper
I've always thought this was BJ's jump the shark moment.

Every time I hear this song anywhere, I cringe, then change the channel.
Ya, the New Jersey album was definitely drawing from the same tapped out well as Slippery.

You can look at about every song on that album and find the better, fresher version on Slippery.

Not that all bands don't in some way shape or form continue to rehash the same style and same sound, but rarely was it so blatant.... Not as bad as Def Leppard Adrenalize, but close.

What say you?
I don't consider a band formed in the late 70s like Def Leppard to be a hair band. Yes they had long hair in the 80s, but they were a rock band first with some good rock songs in their first few albums before going softer towards pop rock and arena rock in Hysteria.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Aerosmith formed in 1970. They may have ridden a little bit of the hairband wave… But they certainly predate the genre/movement.
Exactly. That's what I meant by traversed. Def Leppard is in the same boat...they predate all that glam rock, but conformed a bit to that 80s style (along with Mutt Lang's influence).

Def-Leppard-early-years-press-shot-01-1000-CREDIT-Ross-Halfin.jpg

What say you?
They were a hair band. Now I feel they are more like lounge singers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT