ADVERTISEMENT

Is Caitlin Clark making Fran’s MBB team irrelevant?

KcTo

HR All-American
Feb 6, 2020
CC is canibilizing the MBB gate, dominating the Press, locally and nationally, and also here in the message boards as CC topics are > than MBB while MBB game thread and post game message threads drop to new lows.

CCs game is so much more exciting to watch and dish on then watching Frans nepotism and consistently bad defense approach,

additionally CC takes IOWA to FF, while Fran can’t even make it to the 2nd weekend.

CC is canibilizing the MBB gate, dominating the Press, locally and nationally, and also here in the message boards as CC topics are > than MBB while MBB game thread and post game message threads drop to new lows.

CCs game is so much more exciting to watch and dish on then watching Frans nepotism and consistently bad defense approach,

additionally CC takes IOWA to FF, while Fran can’t even make it to the 2nd weekend.
Yes

The womens team is definitely pulling attention away, but is also bringing in some new people. The lack of success on the mens side and the frustrations with player rotations are also part of the equation. You could also argue that the football program is pulling attendance away as well. Tickets/concessions gets expensive and many of us have to pick and choose what we can attend.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Somewhat reminded of 2007-08. First season of Lickliter and the BTN. Many Iowa games were on BTN, and it was not carried that season by any of the major cable providers in Iowa. But, that was the season of Keno Davis and Drake. Not as big as Caitlin, but it filled a void.
That being said, I was in CHA Tuesday night and will be there Saturday morning.

What's up with all of the trolls on here starting shit? Is being shut out in the basement that bad?? Kind of wish they would get outside and get some fresh air. There must be something better to do then pick internet fights and play with themselves the rest of the day.

nobody said CC is ‘at fault‘ for anything
It seems like the thread is trying to blame Caitlin Clark for nobody paying attention to the men's team. Not really in a bad way, just proposing the idea that people aren't paying attention to the men's team because of what she is doing.

However, if the men's team were competitive people would still be paying attention to them. The attention the men's team gets has everything to do with how well they are doing, not how Caitlin Clark is doing. It is nice that there is something else to pay attention to though as it does take the sting off the men's team quite a bit.

Reactions: CarterHall
What's up with all of the trolls on here starting shit? Is being shut out in the basement that bad?? Kind of wish they would get outside and get some fresh air. There must be something better to do then pick internet fights and play with themselves the rest of the day.
Playing with myself is the best part of the day, by far. Second best part is coming here to reply to dumbass posts like yours.

There is no juice behind the men's team this year; no one you want to watch play. With Garza and the Murrays, it was interesting and entertaining to watch the men, because they were each capable of some really strong performances. The men's team doesn't have that guy this year. Caitlin's performances certainly don't help the men's side, she's raised the expectations.

The lack of attention to the mens team is because the program stinks. If the men were rolling, CHA would be full for both teams and this discussion wouldn't be happening.
Correct. The women's team is getting a lot more attention for obvious reasons, but the men would be also if they were ranked in the Top 5 and had appeared in the national title game last year like the women's team. Instead, they're dead last in the conference and haven't made it past the NCAA first weekend in a quarter century.

I don't think this year's men's team would be getting very much more attention if the women's team wasn't any good.

There is no juice behind the men's team this year; no one you want to watch play. With Garza and the Murrays, it was interesting and entertaining to watch the men, because they were each capable of some really strong performances. The men's team doesn't have that guy this year. Caitlin's performances certainly don't help the men's side, she's raised the expectations.
I like watching Freemen improve. He's going to be a great player, maybe as soon as next year. But good lord do they need to get some other talent around him.

Reactions: NI hawk
I like watching Freemen improve. He's going to be a great player, maybe as soon as next year. But good lord do they need to get some other talent around him.
There’s talent there. Francis apparently just doesn’t know how to put them in positions to succeed.

Frans teams are making mbb irrelevant. What do they do?
When one play goes flat they all go flat. They rarely beat top teams and seem to allow other teams on losing streak end those streaks.

That will turn you away over time.

Frans teams are making mbb irrelevant. What do they do?
When one play goes flat they all go flat. They rarely beat top teams and seem to allow other teams on losing streak end those streaks.

That will turn you away over time.
Bingo…and they accomplish nothing when it matters. Bluder takes great talent and takes it far….look at Gustafson and getting to the Elite Eight. Now she has a once in a lifetime player and has gone even farther….

Meanwhile Fran has two generational hawks in Luka and Keegan and couldn’t get out of the first weekend. That was when I fully checked out for Iowa MBB. And that’s not even getting into Fran’s penchant for playing his sons over other talented players (1 being Keegan, who was the #3 pick a year later but couldn’t play over Connor?). I haven’t watched a minute…last time I was this apathetic was the end of the Lickliter era.

CC isn't doing it, Fran is doing it to himself.

In the 80s when the Football, MBB, and Wrestling teams were all at #1 in the country for stretches of time and WBB was putting > 22,000 fans into CHA while making the Elite Eight, were any of them making the others irrelevant?

Our fanbase will support winners in any of those four sports and we may be adding a fifth with Women's Wrestling and the support it is seeing. Right now MBB is the worst of the four, and it isn't even close.

In the last five years we've seen this.
Football - Many unanimous all-Americans and award winners, bowl games with several victories, multiple Big Ten title game appearances. But nepotism seems to have held the program back and split the fan base a bit.
WBB - Multiple players named best player in the country, Big Ten Titles both regular season and tournament, NCAA runner up with additional Sweet Sixteens and Elite Eights. Fan base entirely behind the team.
Wrestling - Best wrestler in the country, national title(would be 2 if not for COVID) with another runner up, multiple Big Ten titles.
MBB - Best player in the country and another all-American, one Big Ten tournament title, two total NCAA tourney wins with the best one of those against a 7-seed. Bad cases of nepotism that seem to have held the program back.

WBB has won 11 tournament games with 3 BTTs and one regular season title going back to the 2019 season compared to MBB's 2 tournament games and 1 BTT with a 3rd place regular season finish in their best season. Doesn't get much more simple than that.

More like the women's program has temporarily taken the lead. I have been around these parts long enough to remember when very few people posted in the women's game threads. Clark is a once in a lifetime player. I will till be watching the women and participating in the game threads, but I am confident a lot of the bandwagon folks will disappear.
I enjoy both programs, and let's not hammer Fran's coffin shut just yet. He's lost three tremendous players in three years, and they have lost to a good ISU team on the road, a good Wisconsin team on the road, and the #1-2 team in the country on the road. I am intrigued by Harding and Freeman. Let's see how they, and the other freshmen blend in.

Reactions: iahawks10
The worm always turns. Enjoy CC22 while Iowa has her since we all know it won’t last long. I’m hopeful there will be young ladies that want to emulate CC22 and hopeful Chad Greenway’s daughter is one of them that plays at Iowa.

Regarding the men, when Fran decides he is done, hope the Iowa AD goes down the road to DM and Drake to get Darren Devries. We will see offense and defense.

Reactions: DewHawk and Slim45
More like the women's program has temporarily taken the lead. I have been around these parts long enough to remember when very few people posted in the women's game threads. Clark is a once in a lifetime player. I will till be watching the women and participating in the game threads, but I am confident a lot of the bandwagon folks will disappear.
I enjoy both programs, and let's not hammer Fran's coffin shut just yet. He's lost three tremendous players in three years, and they have lost to a good ISU team on the road, a good Wisconsin team on the road, and the #1-2 team in the country on the road. I am intrigued by Harding and Freeman. Let's see how they, and the other freshmen blend in.
Even if the MBB team turns it around and finishes close to .500 in the BIG, which will never happen, we have seen what Fran has to offer…and it ain’t great. Time to move on!!!
As far as the womens team, im hopeful they can get a commitment from maddyn greenway and keep their momentum rolling. Also hoping CC makes the right decision and sticks around next year

The worm always turns. Enjoy CC22 while Iowa has her since we all know it won’t last long. I’m hopeful there will be young ladies that want to emulate CC22 and hopeful Chad Greenway’s daughter is one of them that plays at Iowa.

Regarding the men, when Fran decides he is done, hope the Iowa AD goes down the road to DM and Drake to get Darren Devries. We will see offense and defense.
Just a little quicker on the draw

Men’s bball Sucks. If you don’t see that maybe get out of your basement.

Fran has had some great players, but no Sweet 16s in his entire coaching career. He’s just not a very good coach. And he plays his kids ahead of more deserving players. On top of all that, he’s sometimes an embarrassing asshole on the sidelines. Time for a change

Bingo…and they accomplish nothing when it matters. Bluder takes great talent and takes it far….look at Gustafson and getting to the Elite Eight. Now she has a once in a lifetime player and has gone even farther….

Meanwhile Fran has two generational hawks in Luka and Keegan and couldn’t get out of the first weekend. That was when I fully checked out for Iowa MBB. And that’s not even getting into Fran’s penchant for playing his sons over other talented players (1 being Keegan, who was the #3 pick a year later but couldn’t play over Connor?). I haven’t watched a minute…last time I was this apathetic was the end of the Lickliter era.
In retrospect both Keegan and Kris should have played as freshman.

Learn on the fly. We should have seen those two and Luka together, constantly.

Fran is doing a great job of that on his own.

Homer.gif

No

additionally CC takes IOWA to FF, while Fran can’t even make it to the 2nd weekenno

Todays top 11 forum topics
  • 9 on Caitlin Clark and WBB
  • 1 on Keegan
  • 1 on Kris
  • 1 on Garza
  • topic #12 on MBB
If relevancy can Be quantified by forum topics, Fran‘s team is of extremely low relevance .

Reactions: ichawk24

I think Fran is to blame. the CC show will be over soon.. Enjoy it ,WWB will never be at these heights again.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT