ADVERTISEMENT

Is Iowa the most "Midwest" of all the Midwest states?

Missouri is the king of the midwest
Iowa needs to do a much better job of securing its southern border. More and more stupid and inbreds are finding Iowa life to their taste. Iowa is suffering a bad case of the “Mizzery Runs”…..and it ain’t coming from the western river, either.
Iowa is phuqued……and more and more it’s the inbred kind of phuqin’.

Reactions: Tom Paris
One thing I’ve never noticed before, so many midwest states known for weird ass pizza, none worst than whatever the hell St. Louis is doing with that funky ass cheese and triscuit cracker crust.

Weird to see Oklahoma, Colorado and Wyoming numbers so high.
People that don’t understand the difference between the plains and the midwest.

Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana should have 100% scores. I’m guessing the people that didn’t vote yes from those states didn’t understand the question. Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are all no-brainers too, but I could see a small percentage of people thinking they are too far north. I don’t know why Ohio’s score is so low. Probably Ohio State elitists that don’t want to be lumped in with the rest of us.

Reactions: torbee
You are not a true Midwesterner unless you say "pop'

images

Reactions: mthawkeyes
Iowa still has the image of hardworking farmers who raise
a family with traditional values. Outsiders look at Iowa as
a rural state with Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Davenport
as the urban oasis. Iowa corn is our famous trademark.
Most “outsiders” have never heard of Davenport and Cedar Rapids. And more know Waterloo/cedar falls than Davenport.

• Haha
Reactions: Bro D
Oklahomans trying too hard not to be lumped in with Texas?

IMO, the Midwest is north of the Ohio and Missouri Rivers, and east of the Missouri in the Dakotas. F*** Nebraska.

Reactions: Lindemann
I mean much of Eastern Colorado is indistinguishable from Nebraska and Kansas, which while I think they are “plains states” many people do consider Midwestern. I can *almost* see it.
This. I’d say the Midwest stops at the mountains. So Colorado is partial.

So many people think it’s all mountains.

I mean much of Eastern Colorado is indistinguishable from Nebraska and Kansas, which while I think they are “plains states” many people do consider Midwestern. I can *almost* see it.
It’s close for sure

Anecdotal, but I’ve lived in 5 states all over the country since growing up in Iowa. When talking about seeing in-laws I typically get blank stares when I say Davenport or quad cities. A few seem to recognize moline.

Few things. Far enough west in the plains and you get an arid climate with very different farming practices. Far enough north in the great lake states and it's just forest. Far enough east and you get the rust belt... different climate features (lake effect snow) and culture. Far enough south and you're getting into the mid-south, again with different climate and culture. I probably could have extended east in Wisconsin moreso.

Ohio feels like a transition zone between midwest, rust belt, and appalachia. Michigan is rust belt or Great Lake forest zones.

What I outlined probably halfway closely matches the corn belt.

Last edited:
Few things. Far enough west in the plains and you get an arid climate with very different farming practices. Far enough north in the great lake states and it's just forest. Far enough east and you get the rust belt... different climate features (lake effect snow) and culture. Far enough south and you're getting into the mid-south, again with different climate and culture. I probably could have extended east in Wisconsin moreso.

Ohio feels like a transition zone between midwest, rust belt, and appalachia. Michigan is rust belt or Great Lake forest zones.

What I outlined probably halfway closely matches the corn belt.

And there you go.
corn-belt-wheat-belt-and-rice-belt-of-the-united-states-political-map.jpg

Disagree. The Plains begin where you can't grow corn consistently without center-pivot irrigation. East of that is the Midwest.

Edit: Or farther north, wheat.
Definitely.

What I struggle with is the culture of the plains vs the culture of the midwest. Appreciable differences? That gets trickier. Plenty of similarities in the small towns. I'd say the differences are more to do with latitude than anything. (small towns generally being nicer the further north you go)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT