ADVERTISEMENT

5/21 Severe Weather

I don't know what line of work you're in, but I'd say eff that!
We have reps in Omaha and all over Iowa right now. They just sent a group message to be safe, but no call ins or cancels. So we are full go.

Channel 13 has a mobile reporter that has been following the tornado for quite awhile, He just arrived in Greenfield, Parts of town look to be hit pretty hard.

• Sad
Reactions: GOHOX69
Getting naughty:

20240521-155945.jpg

Reactions: MitchLL and Moral
Excessive heat buildup is almost certainly a factor in more severe storms.

Bur hey...you do you.
Depends on nature of storm and other variables which may be affected by climate change.

For example if the jet retreats further north every year some areas won't have shear needed, despite heat and humidity, for some forms of severe weather.

Obviously moisture concerns as well.

But in general warmer weather means potentially more energetic air. But other things have to happen.

Excessive heat buildup is almost certainly a factor in more severe storms.

Bur hey...you do you.
So can we see the charts of warnings from 2000-2022 to determine what the 'climate' is doing, or do we just say we're fooked because of one year? I mean, we had 70 tornados in December 2021 and haven't had a December tornado since, so things must be going great for the climate, right?

So can we see the charts of warnings from 2000-2022 to determine what the 'climate' is doing, or do we just say we're fooked because of one year? I mean, we had 70 tornados in December 2021 and haven't had a December tornado since, so things must be going great for the climate, right?
Like I've said a million times. Single events and short time frames offer really poor proof of anything for global warming.

Trends over longer periods of time say a lot more.

Severe storms with tornadoes, in particular, are really finicky and I haven't seen a lot of great evidence for global warming making them any more frequent overall in the US. If I had to guess it'd mostly be A) location B) time of year. Those might shift.

Like I've said a million times. Single events and short time frames offer really poor proof of anything for global warming.

Trends over longer periods of time say a lot more.

Severe storms with tornadoes, in particular, are really finicky and I haven't seen a lot of great evidence for global warming making them any more frequent overall in the US. If I had to guess it'd mostly be A) location B) time of year. Those might shift.
honest question about tornados. Are all of these tornados 'spotted' or are some of them radar-indicated that we would not have known about in the past?

honest question about tornados. Are all of these tornados 'spotted' or are some of them radar-indicated that we would not have known about in the past?
The official tally only counts confirmed tornadoes -- via damage survey or human verification. (not all reports of a tornado, or all warnings of a tornado)

On a warning? You have to look at the warning text. Some are radar indicated, some are actually reported on the ground. (many will start radar indicated)

Yeah, technology has come a long way -- in addition to simple population and public awareness -- in capturing tornado numbers.

Actual reports of tornadoes haven't changed that much in the last 40 or 50 years. Warnings on storms? Could see that having increased. I do think it'll have a bias towards increasing as our awareness and population increase.

Reactions: EagleHawk
You know your state is YUGE when all they keep talking about is dangerous Texas storms and you have yet to get a drop of rain...in...Texas.

Dangerous weather continues to threaten Texas; forecast puts more states on alert​

Reactions: McLovin32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT