ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time for a takedown to be worth 3 pts?

Basically what Spencer did at the start of the 3rd period (at about 9:30) as Courtney kept backing up, which is what 90% of Iowa's opponents do, especially wrestlers from PSU and Ok State.

I don't blame Courtney because he was in a lose-lose situation if you will, but that was so difficult to watch from a fan of wrestling standpoint. I wanted Courtney to be stalled out because his wrestling style devalued the sport and was not worthy of a championship match. He wrestled to avoid a beat down instead of saying, "Fu** it, this is my one chance to beat this guy, I'm going to let it all hang out and hope for the best." He still would have lost but he sure would have impressed me a lot more facing the beast instead of running from him.

Hello, I am the Evil Monkey In The Closet, and I'll be playing the role of the @THE_DEVIL 's advocate today. ;)

Given all the complaints about stalling and the growth of the sport, is it time for college wrestling to evolve and make the offensive takedown worth more points?

Reversals would still be worth two, but with the talk about wanting to incentivize offense, shouldn't the goal, then, be to make offense worth achieving?

How much of an impact would it have if an offensive takedown was worth 3 points instead of TWO?

How would that change the mindset of programs like Penn State and Oklahoma State?

Would that force them to double down even further on their efforts to avoid giving up takedown by any means necessary, including when it comes to riding?

Or will it actually have a positive impact in terms of offense and scoring in wrestling?

Or will it have no impact at all?

What say you? :cool:
I could see that leading to more stalling. A guy gets a takedown up 3 and then shuts down even more because he could win even with an escape from the takedown and a later escape in the second or third periods.

The solution to stalling is calling stalling.

Does anyone know whether the coaches or rules committee have recently discussed some of these (or other) ideas for change, and if so, reasons why changes have not been made? Can the Cesspool submit a formal request for consideration?

I could see that leading to more stalling. A guy gets a takedown up 3 and then shuts down even more because he could win even with an escape from the takedown and a later escape in the second or third periods.

The solution to stalling is calling stalling.
He actually has to try to score, though, to get to that point where he can stall the rest of the match.......................right now that's not even happening.

More and more guys are content to hand fight and slap each other's forehead and go 0-0 into the 2nd, then hope for an escape before RT to go 1-0 into the 3rd, then stall ride for the RT point, release and play defense for the thrilling 2-1 victory.

That's college wrestling right now.

Does anyone know whether the coaches or rules committee have recently discussed some of these (or other) ideas for change, and if so, reasons why changes have not been made? Can the Cesspool submit a formal request for consideration?
They did discussed and either polled or had a vote about a step out rule after last year but too many stalling loving coaches were against it still.

Ask yourself this. Would you see more difference in how they wrestle a match if an Iowa guy started down 2-0........or if their opponent (especially PSU or Ok State) had to automatically start down 2-0........

There's your problem.

Impossible rule but I'd love to see a stall called whenever someone gets a leg three times in a row and then another on the fourth and fifth if the other guy never shoots for a takedown. I know most would bitch he should be good enough to finish but we all know how that would change the the RBY and DeSanto score. One guys does all the work and the other stalls for 3 periods...

Absolutely NO to a push out rule. Do you realize how much smaller the mat becomes? And it eliminates scoring on the edge. No thank you. Refs need to simply call stalling. Letting kids back to the edge and hang out there is a joke. And as referenced earlier, go watch the big 12 149 pound final. All Okie St did was try to push ob.
Agreed! that match sucked just like most of Gilman’s freestyle matches , I do NOT think push out is the answer at all If you can just lock up and horse a guy out. Shooting a guy out of bounds could be something to look at.

The Stalling rules need to be enforced and maybe tweaked to eliminate the lack of wrestling. You must maintain middle and you cannot play the edge, maybe add a shot clock with no stoppage that the side ref calls.

The action rule needs to be clarified so it’s called more consistent, it is way to subjective right now. Some refs call it some don’t, some think about it some don’t, some ponder it some don’t , one guy will add one and the other won’t. It’s as ridiculous as my nursery rhyme and it needs to be fixed!

Last edited:
They did discussed and either polled or had a vote about a step out rule after last year but too many stalling loving coaches were against it still.
Every team in the country knows who the push out rule would benefit the most, and many teams would see the disbanding of our sport before they agreed to a rule that helped Iowa.

Every team in the country knows who the push out rule would benefit the most, and many teams would see the disbanding of our sport before they agreed to a rule that helped Iowa.
Well then our opponents should git gudder at not getting pushed out of the circle..................

Hello, I am the Evil Monkey In The Closet, and I'll be playing the role of the @THE_DEVIL 's advocate today. ;)

Given all the complaints about stalling and the growth of the sport, is it time for college wrestling to evolve and make the offensive takedown worth more points?

Reversals would still be worth two, but with the talk about wanting to incentivize offense, shouldn't the goal, then, be to make offense worth achieving?

How much of an impact would it have if an offensive takedown was worth 3 points instead of TWO?

How would that change the mindset of programs like Penn State and Oklahoma State?

Would that force them to double down even further on their efforts to avoid giving up takedown by any means necessary, including when it comes to riding?

Or will it actually have a positive impact in terms of offense and scoring in wrestling?

No.

BrightAmazingClam-size_restricted.gif

Used to be top wrestler had to come off the hips and if they didn’t it was stalling especially if the bottom guy was working. I like that rule cause it made the top wrestler open up.

No

Can folkstyle. Freestyle rules entirely.
Long rides for the sake of the 1 point suck.
Garbage funk leading to stalemates suck.
We need rules that always reward initiative and aggression...like pushout

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT