ADVERTISEMENT

Is It Too Late for Democrats to Replace Biden?

The flaw in democracy isn't that people vote their values and beliefs. It's that we seem to live in a culture that doesn't promote facts, compassion or civil behavior nearly enough.
Personally, I think the flaw in our system is it's too polarizing. The two-party structure forces individuals to align themselves with a particular party, even if their beliefs span across multiple issues. This binary choice is extremely frustrating, especially when my values don't neatly fit into either party's platform.

For example, what happens if I'm pro-life, but also pro-marriage equality? It's an all or nothing system. It's disheartening that citizens are often forced to prioritize their values and compromise on others, simply because the political landscape doesn't offer a more nuanced approach.

The Democrats and Republicans are holding both of their bases hostage with social issues. While these issues are important to some, they shouldn't overshadow other critical matters like foreign policy, the economy, and environmental concerns. Just look at the trans issue...less than 1% of the population has 99% of the focus. I care more about foreign policy, the environment, our economy than who gets to walk into a darn bathroom.

In essence, our democracy should encourage diverse perspectives and allow for more nuanced discussions on various issues without the pressure of conforming to rigid party lines. Moving away from the current polarized system could foster greater inclusivity, understanding, and ultimately lead to more effective governance.

If this is true (and I am not sure why you think Whitmer would win, much of the country doesn’t know who she is), the Dems should make the change quickly. Joy Reid was on tv and she said she predicted 2016 and 2020 correctly, but ah can’t predict this one as it is too close to call and could go either way. Age is very worried Trump may win and it could come down to a couple states. It seems like it has moved from a certain win for Joe to 50/50 at best. I can tell with my MAGA friends how rejuvenated they are now and believe Trump has it vs Joe.
You are certainly right about Whitmer not being well known. Some pro-Whitmer PAC needs to get working on that.

I'm not opposed to Whitmer taking the lead position on the Dem ticket but, unlike Newsom, she hasn't been putting herself out there. Which means that even a politics junky like me doesn't know if I really want what she offers.

Then again, not putting yourself out there might be an advantage. I imagine the Rs have been building a huge arsenal against Newsom for quite a while.

If the Rs stick with Trump, but the Dems switch horses late in the day, does that favor the Dems or the Rs?

If I'm a Republican power broker, I am already working on just-in-case attacks against Newsom, Whitmer, Pete, Amy, and AOC....

Similarly, if I'm a Dem operative, I'm already working on positive campaigns for those folks.

Unfortunately, Rs are almost certainly doing that; while Dems almost certainly are not. Rs are just better at politics in this era.

Reactions: EasyHawk
Personally, I think the flaw in our system is it's too polarizing. The two-party structure forces individuals to align themselves with a particular party, even if their beliefs span across multiple issues. This binary choice is extremely frustrating, especially when my values don't neatly fit into either party's platform.
Nailed it.

There are remedies, but most people would rather bitch than change.

Then again, if we bitch loudly enough, maybe some day . . . .

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I hope my wife never lets me embarrass myself in public every week.
I don't see it that way. Well, hardly ever. I cut Joe slack as long as I continue to believe he has good values and the ability to make good decisions. Which I still do.

I imagine Jill has an even better grasp of his values and decision-making abilities.

There's no reason whatsoever to think Jill is keeping a vegetable in the race for power or money or any other bad reason.

That of course does not mean Joe is the best Dem candidate. I don't think he is. OTOH, if he steps aside, I'm not confident the Dems will do better.

On the Republican side, you can't count on them picking someone better than Trump, either. But in their case, it's harder to do worse. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Louie Gohmert maybe?

I don't see it that way. Well, hardly ever. I cut Joe slack as long as I continue to believe he has good values and the ability to make good decision. Which I still do.

I imagine Jill has an even better grasp of his values and decision-making abilities.

There's not reason whatsoever to think Jill is keeping a vegetable in the race for power or money or any other bad reason.

That of course does not mean Joe is the best Dem candidate. I don't think he is. OTOH, if he steps aside, I'm not confident the Dems will do better.

On the Republican side, you can't count on them picking someone better than Trump, either. But in their case, it's harder to do worse. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Louie Gohmert maybe?
I believe he has good values, wants good things for the country and won’t make decisions to benefit him personally.
He will have my vote if he’s the nominee.

I’m just not very happy about it.

I don't see it that way. Well, hardly ever. I cut Joe slack as long as I continue to believe he has good values and the ability to make good decisions. Which I still do.

There's no reason whatsoever to think Jill is keeping a vegetable in the race for power or money or any other bad reason.

Then why aren't you voting for him against Trump?

• Wow
Reactions: EasyHawk
You're right, of course, but I meant too late to be effective.

If/when it happens, there will be a huge scramble in the Dem party and the media. Best to get that out of the way as soon as possible.

Or . . . is that actually true? Maybe the latest possible change would work better. Ride the burst of excitement and attention.

Personally, though, I'd like to see some actual primary races on the Dem side to test the potential candidates. If nothing else to let Harris prove she isn't as bad as she seems, and see who else in interested.

A few from 2020 might want to compete against Newsom and Whitmer. Amy, Pete, Cory Booker, who else? Maybe even Manchin - who has almost but not quite ruled out running on No Labels.
Sounds less like chaos, and more like free advertising.

I don't think it's too late.

The Dems are a structured as a club of insiders anyway, so it would be about the same as though it were an open primary.

I think 4 legit candidates would emerge, and the long-shots would be told to stay home. My guess is Whitmer, Newsom, Harris, and Pritzger.

They would probably hold one or two (phony) debates before the convention and make sure one candidate has all of the questions ahead of time.

They'll do the Democrat thing and make sure it's one woman and one man on the ticket. I think Whitmer/Newsom is the winning combo.

History is rife with party nominees not being decided until the convention, so it's not too crazy to consider this.

LBJ in '68, history repeats itself!

Reactions: goldmom
So you can’t hear? Otherwise it’s a moot point.
d0fc1fed37ef106089d47aaa8107d02d.gif

Reactions: goldmom
If this is true (and I am not sure why you think Whitmer would win, much of the country doesn’t know who she is), the Dems should make the change quickly. Joy Reid was on tv and she said she predicted 2016 and 2020 correctly, but ah can’t predict this one as it is too close to call and could go either way. Age is very worried Trump may win and it could come down to a couple states. It seems like it has moved from a certain win for Joe to 50/50 at best. I can tell with my MAGA friends how rejuvenated they are now and believe Trump has it vs Joe.

Whitmer turned Michigan Legislature blue at the state level for the first time in decades, so she has plenty of accomplishments to run on. Also she's relatively unknown the Right Wing media machine hasn't had time to manufacture any controversies or weaknesses from her time as Michigan's Governor. Plus THE DNC can use the "Midwestern values/sensibilities" card that they can't with Newsome.

As for why she is unknown I'm assuming that the DNC knew that Trump would easily win the Republican nomination again (which he will). And assumed that the same old "I'm not Trump" playbook Biden used in 2020 would work again in 2024. It still might, but it's more of a toss up then I think people were hoping it would be.

Whitmer she would win in a landslide against any Republican nominee

Michelle Obama would also win against any Republican nominee. I just don't think she is going to run.

Newsome would be a fine President but it would have a tougher time winning the election as Fox News has convinced half of America that California is a collapsing Communist hell hole.

If you can't get any of those go back to Sleepy Joe.

Manchin is everything wrong with politics so I'd rather sit at home than vote that corporate sellout into the White House
Whitmer would create some excitement because she presents herself as a person who can sell her positions with clarity and sensibility.

Michelle Obama would NEVER get my vote. She self admits she struggled to even be proud of our country. And WTH makes her qualified?
I’m not opposed to Manchin. Corporate sellout is just a silly term to name call someone when you’ve got nothing else. I’d instead question his savvy when he got taken on his budget “deal”.

Whitmer would create some excitement because she presents herself as a person who can sell her positions with clarity and sensibility.

Michelle Obama would NEVER get my vote. She self admits she struggled to even be proud of our country. And WTH makes her qualified?
I’m not opposed to Manchin. Corporate sellout is just a silly term to name call someone when you’ve got nothing else. I’d instead question his savvy when he got taken on his budget “deal”.
WTH made Trump qualified the past two elections? Also, since you have voted for the moron twice, your judgement on who's qualified or not is questionable at the least.

Yes, Democrats, it’s Biden or bust​

Even if voters or the establishment wanted to, there really isn’t a viable process to replace Biden as the nominee.

That President Joe Biden is an old man is nothing new. It’s also not groundbreaking to say that he’s unpopular with broad swathes of Americans.

But after last week’s special counsel report on Biden’s handling of classified documents highlighted lapses in Biden’s memory during questioning, a familiar question has taken hold: Is Biden really the best option Democrats have in 2024?

This malaise isn’t limited to Biden; this presidential cycle there’s widespread dissatisfaction that two old men are all but guaranteed to be the major parties’ presidential nominees.

On the Republican side, that’s come across through a contested primary that despite still delivering Donald Trump resounding victory after resounding victory, has shown a small but fierce opposition to Trump among a subset of GOP voters.

Meanwhile, in the press and on the Democratic side, there’s an unwillingness by a subset of people (progressives, young people, and some politicians) to accept that Biden’s nomination is really happening. Now the past week has left normies and politicos alike wondering: What would it take for someone to replace Biden at this point? Is there a feasible process? Is it too late?

It would be a historic effort to even try — no sitting president has lost his party’s nomination to a primary challenger in the modern political era.

Replacing Biden as the Democratic nominee at this point would be a herculean, if not impossible, task. It would take overcoming two kinds of obstacles: real-world, practical challenges, and the more hypothetical but still important political challenges that exist for any potential Biden replacement.

The practical problems are daunting​

Let’s start with the real-world challenges.

The Democratic presidential nominee is chosen in August at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, where a candidate needs to win the support of 1,969 of the 3,936 Democratic delegates. Those delegates are assigned proportionally based on the vote totals in a state’s primary (for any candidate who wins more than 15 percent of votes), and are then “pledged” or “bound” to that candidate in the first round of voting at the Democratic convention. Under this system, another candidate would need to win more delegates than Biden.

https://www.vox.com/24067941/joe-biden-2024-age-democrats-alternate-candidates

I would argue Presidents should be elected for a single 6 year term. It is frustrating to me that 2 years in they spend a lot of time and resources on their reelection. Remove that opportunity. You get 1 six year term that's it.
I recently posted that same thing with the same reasoning in this board.

Reactions: ericram
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT