ADVERTISEMENT

Is It Too Late for Democrats to Replace Biden?

If No Labels wanted to be a legit alternative - and not just to make sure the Rs win - they could find decent people. Are they even trying? Anybody know?
I dislike so much about No Labels. Forget the people involved, I hate the premise. Oh you're going to restore civility and decorum to Washington? No place in politics for actual passionate disagreement? If we don't all work together without cursing, how will we ever come up with shitty neoliberal market based (i.e. profitable for our donors) solutions to problems that require collective global action?

Given our impending "choice" between Biden and Trump...I would be ECSTATIC to pull the lever for a Manchin/Romney option. Do IT!
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Joe Manchin floats Mitt Romney as a potential running mate as he weighs a presidential bid​

50f286af8a6e5f7615d17b655b8f27d9

CLEVELAND — Sen, Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., danced around his interest in launching a third-party presidential bid here Thursday, but he endorsed a potential running mate if he does.
“Hypothetically, if I was picking my running mate, really who I would ask right now is Mitt Romney,” Manchin said, identifying the Republican senator from Utah.
Manchin also said he would consider former Sen. Rob Portman, a Republican from Ohio, as a vice-presidential pick.

“Rob’s a dear friend of mine,” Manchin said. “What a good man.”
Manchin offered several pointed criticisms of President Joe Biden in the appearance at a City Club of Cleveland breakfast — part of his nationwide “listening tour” that followed his decision to not seek another Senate term. The tour, which included a stop last month in New Hampshire ahead of that state’s first-in-the-nation presidential primary, has fueled speculation that Manchin might mount an independent or third-party campaign for president. He’s been linked to the No Labels organization’s effort to field a bipartisan ticket.
City Club CEO Dan Moulthrop, who moderated the forum, repeatedly pressed Manchin on his 2024 intentions — and Manchin repeatedly dodged, offering meandering responses and asides. During the audience question-and-answer session, an attendee tried again, asking who Manchin believed his Democratic opponent would be if he were to run for president.
“Guys, listen, I’m not running for anything,” Manchin replied. “I’m basically running to try to get people involved.”
Afterward, Manchin acknowledged to reporters that he hasn’t ruled out a White House campaign.
“Third party run, everything is on the table,” Manchin said in response to a question from NBC News. “Nothing’s off the table. I’m still evaluating all that. Super Tuesday [March 5] pretty much would be a deadline that tells you where you are.”
Manchin’s daughter has launched a group, Americans Together, that could be a vehicle for such preparations. The senator’s Cleveland visit was part of a new series of appearances set to include Columbus, Ohio, later Thursday. Manchin also is scheduled to address the Detroit Economic Club on Feb. 26 — the day before the Democratic presidential primary in Michigan.
More than 150 people attended the event at the City Club, which bills itself as the “citadel of free speech” and is known for requiring its speakers to accept unscripted questions from the audience. Until Donald Trump, every sitting U.S. president since Ronald Reagan had addressed the club.
Thursday's event drew a bipartisan audience. Those on hand included Rob Frost, the former chairman of the Cuyahoga County Republican Party, and Cleveland City Councilman Danny Kelly, a Democrat and longtime labor leader. After the breakfast, Manchin met privately with Albert Ratner, a longtime real estate developer and powerbroker in Cleveland who has donated to candidates from both parties.
Manchin took several swipes at Biden. He complained that Biden had gone “so far to the left,” while at another point simultaneously praising Biden for moving more to the political center on border security while also criticizing his policies.
“First of all, if you want to blame Joe Biden, he’s totally guilty as charged on opening up the border and making it what we have today,” Manchin said. “And I’ve told him I’ve been disagreeing with him from Day One.”
Manchin, 76, also made a quip about Biden’s age, which has become a major focal point for voters. Special counsel Robert Hur recently described Biden, 81, as an “elderly man with a poor memory” in a report explaining why he had declined to prosecute the president for his handling of classified documents.
“He’s a little older than I am,” Manchin said of Biden during the forum.
Moulthrop interjected: “You were like a freshman when he was a senior?”
“Pretty much,” Manchin replied.
Asked by a reporter afterward about Hur’s report and whether he found Biden to be mentally sharp, Manchin said he has had no issues communicating directly with Biden or Trump.
“If you’re going to base on memory, your vote, and if that’s your two choices, we’re in trouble,” Manchin said. “When the president made a mistake and a gaffe of calling the president of Egypt, identifying him as the president of Mexico, and then you have Donald Trump saying that Nikki Haley is Nancy Pelosi, you’ve got a problem.”
“But if you’re basing on character,” Manchin said, “I think it’s a no-brainer.”
Manchin then clarified that he meant Biden was the better of the two.
As for Romney, Manchin has previously joked about teaming up with him. During votes in the Senate last week, Romney said as he was walking with Manchin: “We are a ticket. There’s no question we are.”
“We are, he wants to be the not stupid party,” Manchin said.
“We’re taking a cognitive test right now, Romney added. "So we’ll let you know.”

• Haha
Reactions: auntie_fah
Are the American people really going to elect Biden to be president until 2029?

His daily schedule in a second term…
1. Wake up (not guaranteed)
2. Eat oatmeal
3. Go to bed

You're just really weird and totally hypocritical people.

Donald Trump will be 78 yrs old in a few months. Mitch McConnell is 82 yrs old. Chuck Grassley.

I'm getting madder and madder at the Democrats for not constantly talking about Trump's mental state and decline all the time the way the Republicans and their media do with Biden.

You're just really weird and totally hypocritical people.

Donald Trump will be 78 yrs old in a few months. Mitch McConnell is 82 yrs old. Chuck Grassley.

I'm getting madder and madder at the Democrats for not constantly talking about Trump's mental state and decline all the time the way the Republicans and their media do with Biden.
Agreed. And just to be clear, the focus should be on mental fitness, not chronological age.

I don’t think her elevation to the top hurts Trump.
or the Democrats overall chances of winning.

I am surprised that there has been no (major) repackaging effort underway. The Dems' best shot is for her to go through a complete image makeover. Aside from the accusations of her sleeping her way to her various job assignments, she is actually an attractive woman with an interesting backstory. Even this late in the game, most people have formed their image of her based on mostly third-party information. ........... They have only "Heard" that she cannot make arguments or speak in a non-word-salad manner. Change that one dynamic about her and she will be on her way to a very tight race with the Republican candidate.

The Dems have the PR and advertising firepower to make anybody into an attractive candidate. They even have a compliant media establishment to support the effort.

Put her image in the hands of a top-notch expert, and she will start looking like a moderate version of Margaret Thatcher. (or a Hillary Clinton without the snark factor!) She even appears to be somewhat likeable or even charming on a personal level.

Her image is NOT cast in stone; it is completely transformable at this point, but time is running out. Plenty of goofballs have been elected to high office in the history of the World. It can be done, but she needs to get to work.

Last edited:
or the Democrats overall chances of winning.

I am surprised that there has been no (major) repackaging effort underway. The Dems' best shot is for her to go through a complete image makeover. Aside from the accusations of her sleeping her way to her various job assignments, she is actually an attractive woman with an interesting backstory. Even this late in the game, most people have formed their image of her based on mostly third-party information. ........... They have only "Heard" that she cannot make arguments or speak in a non-word-salad manner. Change that one dynamic about her and she will be on her way to a very tight race with the Republican candidate.

The Dems have the PR and advertising firepower to make anybody into an attractive candidate. They even have a compliant media establishment to support the effort.

Put her image in the hands of a top-notch expert, and she will start looking like a moderate version of Margaret Thatcher. (or a Hillary Clinton without the snark factor!) She even appears to be somewhat likeable or even charming on a personal level.

Her image is NOT cast in stone; it is completely transformable at this point, but time is running out. Plenty of goofballs have been elected to high office in the history of the World. It can be done, but she needs to get to work.
Sure. She’s just an image makeover from being an actual live normal person. She’s terminally bad I’m sorry to say.

Last edited:
Biden will be Trump. Republican machine is too stupid to admit anybody but Trump beats Biden.

I’d somebody wrote a movie script with that plot nobody would believe it. Yet here we are.

Sure. She’s just an image makeover from being an actual live normal person. The’s terminally bad I’m sorry to say.
I think she is already a normal person; a grasping, greedy, selfish, narcissistic, medium IQ, poorly informed, normal person ... but still with lots in common with "regular, normal" folks.

I think a repackaged Kamala would go over well, at least with the average Democrat. These are voters who live and die by the Sound Bite, Afterall.

I get a kick out of anyone that says Newsome. Dude has every advantage you can possibly have running the best economic state in the nation and people are leaving in droves as he runs a negative deficit.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Yes, only journalists that constantly fellate Joe Biden and push his talking points should be allowed.

Are you losing your memory? Chuckina’s first show was an interview with Agent Orange. She tossed him softballs for the entire hour and fact checked not at all.

Did she follow the Newsom segment with 15 minutes about Biden’s dog biting secret service agents? No chance that she’d actually do some real journalism like looking into the deleted Jan 6 secret service communications.

Send her to Fox where she belongs.

Are you losing your memory? Chuckina’s first show was an interview with Agent Orange. She tossed him softballs for the entire hour and fact checked not at all.

Did she follow the Newsom segment with 15 minutes about Biden’s dog biting secret service agents? No chance that she’d actually do some real journalism like looking into the deleted Jan 6 secret service communications.

Send her to Fox where she belongs.
Bins is sadly pathetic. My Lord

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT