ADVERTISEMENT

Is over the back still a foul?

bansheexyz

HR All-State
Sep 24, 2017
One of the more frustrating parts of this game was watching Indiana players get a crazy number of offensive boards from reaching way over boxouts, lean and fall onto our guys shoulders, heads, hit the backs of our hands, and at no point was it ever called.

gettyimages-1973812244-65b9b98434937.jpg

That play was a foul on Harding for the undercut
And if it wasn't it was a clean play by the taller player.

Harding's height is going to be his variant, and masking up isn't going to help him grow 😉

He's the new Jay Burson, hopefully he doesn't meet up with a new Big Ed.

Reactions: littlez
One of the more frustrating parts of this game was watching Indiana players get a crazy number of offensive boards from reaching way over boxouts, lean and fall onto our guys shoulders, heads, hit the backs of our hands, and at no point was it ever called.

Over the back is no longer a foul in college basketball unless the official seems they restricted the other player’s movement. They can jump right over a player boxing out and grab it, no foul anymore. Being athletic helps…

Reactions: WSC72
If over the back is no longer a foul, and I suspect it's not, then I'm still curious about Galloway's reaction when he knocked Dix off balance at the end of the game. He put his hands up in the ol "I didn't touch him" gesture.

That play pissed me off.

Reactions: NLhawk62
"Over the back" cannot be found in any basketball rule book. It's never been there.

Rebounding fouls are typically either a push or illegal use of hands. If you don't have one of those two things, it's probably not a foul.
Yep. The reason people thought it was is because a lot of times people would be shoving the person in front of them while going up for the ball. It has never been a foul if you don't displace the person in front of you.

it was not called a foul and butch nailed it on the head in the broadcast about the defender sliding to the side. if brock moves his feet a bit, he likely gets the call. Or if he were a senior.

Ty. Over the back is just a common name for what is still in the rules. You can’t shove someone out of the way to get a better position. Indiana was doing it all night, but no calls. They were also regularly molesting Perkins when he drove. Alas, such is life on the road in the Big. That’s just the way it is.

It's always been a foul in basketball if physical contact results in an advantage or disadvantage for the player(s) involved. Looking at that game photo, it's difficult to argue that an advantage/disadvantage situation isn't occurring via physical contact.

I'm totally unsurprised that there was no call for this at Assembly Hall, college basketball officiating is as bad right now as I can ever remember.

• Sad
Reactions: Hendy hawk
It's always been a foul in basketball if physical contact results in an advantage or disadvantage for the player(s) involved. Looking at that game photo, it's difficult to argue that an advantage/disadvantage situation isn't occurring via physical contact.

I'm totally unsurprised that there was no call for this at Assembly Hall, college basketball officiating is as bad right now as I can ever remember.

Photo's can be more than a bit deceiving. Personally I didn't see a foul on that play. The Hoosier jumped, Harding did not and basically backed into him while he was in the air. That happened a LOT last night.

Indiana was more athletic and aggressive on the boards. Had we done a better job of blocking out earlier in the play we probably get those calls.

Both teams got close calls that went their way, and some that didn't, pretty much like every game. I didn't read anyone on this board complain about the missed calls that went against Indiana.

I remember BB as a no contact sport. Now we have mouth pieces and nut cups.

Last edited:
When a coach calls for an over the back call, you tell him that it’s on the back call. You usually have to at least try and box out the person trying to get the rebound. This is from a basketball official..

ck call. You usually have to at least try and box out the person trying to get the rebound. This is from a basketball
Over the back is what fans who don't know the rules yell from the stands. Most coaches will say something like, "get him off!" Doesn't necessarily mean it's a foul though.

The common one that people lose their minds over, is when both players are jumping for the rebound, the inside player is a little too close in, and has to jump slightly backwards for the ball. There is contact, but if the outside rebounder is staying within their vertical frame, it's not a foul on them.

Officials love it when both teams can play through a little incidental contact without flopping, falling, and whining.

FIVE rebounds from our starting center AND PF last night. Talk about domination. Yet, Iowa had a good chance to win, especially if the sub for IU didn't have the game of his life.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Absolutely not. There was no foul called. Harding was boxing out Walker, and he jumped over him and came down on top of him. Harding did not "undercut him"...
I thought Harding got called for a foul on that play?

I thought Harding got called for a foul on that play?
I don't believe he was, (could be wrong). The one announcer thought they should have called Walker for going over him, but Butch said he thought he mostly slid around Harding.

Reactions: littlez
Indiana's bigs I thought could really jump and were reaching over Krieke, Warren and other players to grab rebounds out of their hands. The ball seemed to bounce their way but maybe they were just more aggressive rebounding.

There was no foul called correct but definitely undercut him
To me it looked like Harding got position, and the their big jumped up over him. Not sure how thats undercutting him. Even if Harding is still backing up he doesn't know the guys going to jump over him. When your 6' you have to get into his legs. What else can he do?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT