ADVERTISEMENT

Is Perk the second best player on this team?

TP continues to shine. He’s never the biggest, fastest or best shooter. All he does is make plays all over the court. What a stat line from the Illinois game: 12 pts, 12 rebs (incl 4 offensive), 5 assists and only one TO in 34 minutes. In a game where Ill played very physical and got away with a lot of contact, TP was fearless, going to the bucket and mixing it up underneath. Love this guy and can’t wait to see what he brings next year.
Thought he got at least one steal too but I haven’t looked at the stats. I could have sworn he intercepted a pass and pushed it up to JoeT

Reactions: RocknRollface
Tony is great and should be starting, I like his complete game offense/defense.
However, let's not act like this thread (2nd best on the team) would be in existence if he hadn't finally made a few threes in the past week.
He was on like a 1-21 streak in big ten play. He does the other things well but his lows have been numerous this year. Which makes the fact of how well he has played against good teams all the more baffling.

He's playing excellent ball of late, capped off by the illanoy performance(minus FT shooting). Which is great that he's peaking at the right time. He was, however, not much of a factor in multiple games earlier in the season.
Yes, second best player now. Not the case for the entire season.

Reactions: 24 so far
It's just a kick in the face, no big deal.

Its not like they're supposed to be watching for blows to the head or anything like that.
Was it Rebraca who seemingly took an elbow or something to the face from Kofi, then they went straight to commercial and they never showed the replay on broadcast and never discussed it at all?
Recently yes. The whole year no. He's been pretty mediocre overall IMO, but he has most definitely come on like gangbusters recently. Outstanding really, which makes me wonder what the hell took so long? It's crazy how good he's been, just keep it up kid.

Tony is a guy I’m excited to see play more aggressively. When he does, he looks so much better. Hopefully he can gain more confidence in his shot because he’s already solid off the dribble.

What took so long? He's a soph that didn't get many minutes last season.
He's had plenty of playing time and had flashes but wasn't remotely close to being a real factor for the majority of a game. For whatever the reason he's figured something out, and he's a junkyard dog on both ends of the court. He'll stick his nose in there, that's for certain.

20 games into this season if you asked the question if Tony Perkins was Iowa's 2nd best player you'd have been told to take your meds and stay off the board.

Now? Yeah, he's been great. Shots are falling, attacking the rim. Future looks good for Tony Perkins, all in a matter of a few stellar games. The switch looks like it's been flipped. That's great news for Iowa.

Reactions: sober_teacher
He's been playing some really great ball and he's had several games recently where you could say he's been the second best player on the floor. Much like the Murrays, he's shown that he contributes in a lot of ways on both ends of the floor. The numbers say Kris is still the second best player on the team this year but Perk has really come on strong of late.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Agree with most of what has been said already, but I do have one MINOR reason for caution. My suspicion is that when teams have been preparing for Iowa, Perkins was probably less of a concern on the scouting reports in comparison to the Murrays, PMAC and JBo. That will change now. Teams will change the way they deal with Perkins. It will be very interesting to see how he responds in the BIG tournament.

During the off-season, Perkins should put in serious work on his shooting.

Agree with most of what has been said already, but I do have one MINOR reason for caution. My suspicion is that when teams have been preparing for Iowa, Perkins was probably less of a concern on the scouting reports in comparison to the Murrays, PMAC and JBo. That will change now. Teams will change the way they deal with Perkins. It will be very interesting to see how he responds in the BIG tournament.

During the off-season, Perkins should put in serious work on his shooting.

The good thing for now is that he’s still likely either 4 or 5 on the scouting report for this year I’d think. Both Murray’s, Jordan and arguably Patrick (if healthy) would be ahead of him based on year to date production.

consistency is what’s changed about tony of late imo. He’s shown flashes of this all year, just hasn’t done it regularly until now.

He’s been playing so well that I absolutely thought he should have and was going to take that last shot of the Illinois game.. Once he gets that complete confidence to not think about that situation and just react more good things will happen. Rather it be take that shot, attack the rim or dish.. hope he continues to build.

He's had plenty of playing time and had flashes but wasn't remotely close to being a real factor for the majority of a game. For whatever the reason he's figured something out, and he's a junkyard dog on both ends of the court. He'll stick his nose in there, that's for certain.

20 games into this season if you asked the question if Tony Perkins was Iowa's 2nd best player you'd have been told to take your meds and stay off the board.

Now? Yeah, he's been great. Shots are falling, attacking the rim. Future looks good for Tony Perkins, all in a matter of a few stellar games. The switch looks like it's been flipped. That's great news for Iowa.
Basketball is all about confidence.

When you play with confidence you operate on instinct. When you play without confidence you think and hesitate.

That split second can make all the difference.

Tony was clearly hesitant in the middle of the season, hes got his confidence back now.

I think Perkins play stands out now because he is such a physical player on a team that mainly plays with more finesse.

Kris, Perkins, Pmac, Joe T, Ulis, Sandfort, and Filip. I'm assuming all these guys are back next year plus our current bench and recruits. Could be a decent team but weak in the post unless two guys improve. I think Sandfort is going to be similar to Weezy. Maybe not as good an athlete but close. He will be as good a shooter or maybe better.

Josh Dix and Desonte Bowen are the new guys. Hope Dix is recovered from his serious injury. Know very little about Bowen.

Last edited:
Kris, Perkins, Pmac, Joe T, Ulis, Sandfort, and Filip. I'm assuming all these guys are back next year plus our current bench and recruits. Could be a decent team but weak in the post unless two guys improve. I think Sandfort is going to be similar to Weezy. Maybe not as good an athlete but close. He will be as good a shooter or maybe better.

Josh Dix and Desonte Bowen are the new guys. Hope Dix is recovered from his serious injury. Know very little about Bowen.

Would love to see them go after a 6'8-6'10 guy that can protect the rim and rebound. I think we have enough scorers as is.

Would love to see them go after a 6'8-6'10 guy that can protect the rim and rebound. I think we have enough scorers as is.
Would be nice if they can find a big that can run to join the squad. Absolutely no idea what to expect from Mulvey, and sadly zero confidence in Josh O at this point.

Need to hit the portal for a true big next year.

One who's game is defense and rebounding.

Someone like Erek Hansen or Gabe Olaseni on this team would be awesome.
? This team is actually pretty good at blocks. What has hurt has been having that Big that can hold up to traditional gigs like Kofi without getting pushed around without fouling.

? This team is actually pretty good at blocks. What has hurt has been having that Big that can hold up to traditional gigs like Kofi without getting pushed around without fouling.
I'm more talking about we don't need someone in the post that looks for scoring. We need a person to come in and play their role, pick up some garbage buckets, and play good defense protecting the paint. Sure it would have been nice to have some beef against Kofi, but we don't face players like that very much.

Perkins is exactly an example of why I'm saying this. He was brought into the starting lineup to fill a role of athleticism and defensive intensity when we have three or four other starters that are offense-first players. He's been increasing his offensive production lately which is frosting on the cake, but we need him for his defense and rebounding first.

TP continues to shine. He’s never the biggest, fastest or best shooter. All he does is make plays all over the court. What a stat line from the Illinois game: 12 pts, 12 rebs (incl 4 offensive), 5 assists and only one TO in 34 minutes. In a game where Ill played very physical and got away with a lot of contact, TP was fearless, going to the bucket and mixing it up underneath. Love this guy and can’t wait to see what he brings next year.
Recall that there have been some that have been calling for Perkins to start since Nov
also recall that Perkins has just recently recovered from the shoulder injury
Im glad to see Fran made the change and then stuck with him even tough he had the injury.
= nice coaching adjustment

TP has some kind of light switch somewhere. He must have turned in "on" a couple of games ago because before that he was wandering around in the dark for a while. Now he is playing lights out (uh, wait .. bad metaphor).

Need to have one of the managers check that switch before the game today,

Reactions: Ronman and KcTo
TP has some kind of light switch somewhere. He must have turned in "on" a couple of games ago because before that he was wandering around in the dark for a while. Now he is playing lights out (uh, wait .. bad metaphor).

Need to have one of the managers check that switch before the game today,

did you hear thta Perk was playing with an injured shoulder?
it reportedly just recovered and it resulted in the big offensive games

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
ADVERTISEMENT