ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rock Dead?

Is Rock Dead?

• Total voters
It’s not yet 6 feet under, but it’s close. Chevelle is about the only band putting out new music that I like. I’m a huge fan of 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. The Foo Fighters made it into the 2000’s but they’ve lost their edge.

There are a few bands from the 80’s and 90’s that are still trying, but their new music isn’t that good. I’ll still go see them live to hear their old stuff.

RIP

x8myJkN.gif

I'm glad that you posted that video from The Punk Rock MBA though because that guy does a really good job at explaining the music scene and he makes really good videos.

It’s not yet 6 feet under, but it’s close. Chevelle is about the only band putting out new music that I like. I’m a huge fan of 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. The Foo Fighters made it into the 2000’s but they’ve lost their edge.

There are a few bands from the 80’s and 90’s that are still trying, but their new music isn’t that good. I’ll still go see them live to hear their old stuff.

The 70s were great, the 80s were pretty meh, the 90s were pretty good.

And yes, FTR, I HATE hair metal and not a fan of the Metallica/Metadeath of that era. Hard rock/heavy metal of the 80s was just not very good, a huge step back from the 1970s.

There is a ton of rock out there if you put in the time to track it down. The issue is how it is delivered and fed to us now.
Definitely true.

When I had satellite radio, I was pretty disappointed in the new age rock station, but maybe I’m just not into the new sound in general. I just can’t get into these semi screamo bands like Bring Me the Horizon, Fever 333 and Ice Nine Kills.

Pretty much rely on Spotify suggestions now.

Reactions: littlez and Moral
I like ‘50s rock n roll. Later rock music, not so much.

For my taste there are lots of bands and festivals all over the world. Europe eats it up as they always have and they contribute many of the best artists too.

The top rockabilly cat right now is a tea sipping Englishman named Charlie Thompson.

Rock bands that should be carrying the torch passed from the band's of the 60's and 70's
Guns N Roses
Metallica
Pearl Jam
Oasis
Stone Temple Pilots
Foo Fighters
Black Crowes
Nirvana
Alice in Chains

Half of these bands are either no longer together, no longer alive or have constant power struggles.

Rock bands that should be carrying the torch passed from the band's of the 60's and 70's
Guns N Roses
Metallica
Pearl Jam
Oasis
Stone Temple Pilots
Foo Fighters
Black Crowes
Nirvana
Alice in Chains

Half of these bands are either no longer together, no longer alive or have constant power struggles.

Most of the people (who are still alive) in most of those bands are older than I am. They should have already passed the torch to the younger generation of musicians.

Guns N Roses
Metallica
Pearl Jam
Oasis
Stone Temple Pilots
Foo Fighters
Black Crowes
Nirvana
Alice in Chains

The ones that are still alive are minimum in their 50’s and most are in their 60’s.

I took the point of the OP to be there isn’t really a great new generation that will carry “rock” as we know it.

Those of us who grew up on nu metal believe those were the “next” generation but hell, the guys from Korn and Slipknot are damn near 50 themselves.

The last 10 years has seen a pretty noticeable drop off IMO.

Reactions: Hawkeye_311
There is tons of music out there. I kind of live in the progressive/power/thrash/symphonic metal world and new music is constantly being released.

I suggest listening to or streaming the Current, or KEXP from Seattle.
They both have great programming.

Reactions: midgee2000
I had this exact convo with a mid-50s coworker a couple years ago. He was all ready to argue with me and then just stopped, got sad quick, and realized I was right. Rock is dead. What that means is that rock as the pre-eminent form of popular music in this country is dead. Yes there are still some rock bands putting out good music, but new Rock music isn’t in your face everywhere you go now like it was 20 or more years ago and kids don’t want to grow up and be in a rock band like they used to. It has been replaced by some horrible mixture of new rap, auto-tune pop, and other over produced and mostly electronic garbage. Few of the popular songs today have actual musicians playing on them, it is mostly some person working on a computer to make the track.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT