ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rock Dead?

Is Rock Dead?

• Total voters
I like ‘50s rock n roll. Later rock music, not so much.

For my taste there are lots of bands and festivals all over the world. Europe eats it up as they always have and they contribute many of the best artists too.

The top rockabilly cat right now is a tea sipping Englishman named Charlie Thompson.
I’ll have to check him out. You might give a listen to Randy Richter if you haven’t already. He is a German. His band Randy Rich and the Poor Boys did some great rockabilly.

“Rock and roll has been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died.”

Reactions: VicHawkeye
Has been since the mid to late 70s or so.

giphy.gif

In the sense of the thread, the answer is that it is on life support...but that is ok. We all know the staples of our time but most of those bands had deaths or only play for money grabs. There are still some good rock bands that come out but it is few and far between as the ear of that generation has morphed. You see a lot more acts now that will incorporate synth, beats, pre-recorded loops instead of guitars. It will never be dead but it is now a niche instead of the norm.

Reactions: Tunadog
I had this exact convo with a mid-50s coworker a couple years ago. He was all ready to argue with me and then just stopped, got sad quick, and realized I was right. Rock is dead. What that means is that rock as the pre-eminent form of popular music in this country is dead. Yes there are still some rock bands putting out good music, but new Rock music isn’t in your face everywhere you go now like it was 20 or more years ago and kids don’t want to grow up and be in a rock band like they used to. It has been replaced by some horrible mixture of new rap, auto-tune pop, and other over produced and mostly electronic garbage. Few of the popular songs today have actual musicians playing on them, it is mostly some person working on a computer to make the track.
All true, but that doesn't mean things won't change and rock makes a comeback and takes over. One thing that is constant is that the next generation rejects what the generation before them had and will revert back to and build off of stuff from an even prior generation. There will come a day when DJing, autotuning, hip hop crap is played out and the new artists will revert back to experimenting with a guitar and put out their spin on the blues. There have been several in this thread already.

I've also noticed some of the stuff my 19 year old listens to. He wears a Motley Crue t-shirt and bumps out Notorious BIG. Many kids his age are into 80's metal and gangster rap from that era.

Rock isn't dead. It's just changed. People above the age of 40 need to expand their listening habits and get out of the 80's and 90's stuff they have been listening to for the last 20 years. You will never learn to like new music if you don't listen to it. Not to say that old music isn't good, it is, that's why it's still around. But if rock sounded the same now as it did then, well it would be boring.

That said, rock music is far more heavily influenced by hip hop these days and contains far more electronic instruments than the past. It shouldn't be surprising, movies had predicted this trend for 40 years.

Note: I can't vouche for death metal or anything in that genre as I have never listened to it.

I had this exact convo with a mid-50s coworker a couple years ago. He was all ready to argue with me and then just stopped, got sad quick, and realized I was right. Rock is dead. What that means is that rock as the pre-eminent form of popular music in this country is dead. Yes there are still some rock bands putting out good music, but new Rock music isn’t in your face everywhere you go now like it was 20 or more years ago and kids don’t want to grow up and be in a rock band like they used to. It has been replaced by some horrible mixture of new rap, auto-tune pop, and other over produced and mostly electronic garbage. Few of the popular songs today have actual musicians playing on them, it is mostly some person working on a computer to make the track.
While I would argue that a lot of the new stuff isn't garbage (it's just different), I would agree that it isn't "Number 1" these days. What's interesting is kids aren't listening to one group anymore (with the possible exception of those k-Pop boy bands...I've never understood the appeal of boy bands). When I ask students what they are listening rarely do I ever get the same answer twice. The YouTubing of listening to music has really changed how it is consumed and how people are making money off it. People are making a ton of money just by filming themselves playing covers of other bands and putting it on YouTube. This could be bad because it is taking away from the creation of new music, but then I have seen some of these artists start to create their own songs once they have a following, with the hope that audience translates into music downloads.

Still alive, just seems dead because the 18-21 year olds don't blast rock to party anymore.

I've also noticed some of the stuff my 19 year old listens to. He wears a Motley Crue t-shirt and bumps out Notorious BIG. Many kids his age are into 80's metal and gangster rap from that era.

My kids (no pics)-
29 yo daughter - Show tunes, jazz, pop

25 yo son - Mostly nu metal

21 yo son - Christian music

21 yo daughter - 60s/70s stuff like The Beatles, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Yes, Rush along with punk/alt rock

It used to be we consumed our music by listening to what was available on the radio. Songs on the radio were selected by the record companies. They controlled the music and what we could listen to. That was the bad part. The good part was we all had a shared common experience.

Today there are no controls and we can listen to whatever we want from anywhere in the world. The bad part is that our selections are all over the place and we lack that common shared experience.

Reactions: artradley and z_ape
Rock isn't dead. It's just changed. People above the age of 40 need to expand their listening habits and get out of the 80's and 90's stuff they have been listening to for the last 20 years. You will never learn to like new music if you don't listen to it. Not to say that old music isn't good, it is, that's why it's still around. But if rock sounded the same now as it did then, well it would be boring.

That said, rock music is far more heavily influenced by hip hop these days and contains far more electronic instruments than the past. It shouldn't be surprising, movies had predicted this trend for 40 years.

Note: I can't vouche for death metal or anything in that genre as I have never listened to it.
I listen to all kinds of music. Beethoven through present day. I just like *good* stuff. And rock just isn't producing much of it anymore. I've found many more good present day pop/dance/hip-hop tracks than I have rock.

From what I can tell, the quantity and quality of rock has really declined.

Once and a while I'll find a new track I dig, but I haven't bumped into any artists of significance. Now maybe there is some awesome underground stuff -- remember the Pixies never had mainstream success in the US -- that I'm missing... so toss it at me if you've got it.

Electronic contribution to rock doesn't have to kill it. Radiohead proved that. But they were really talented and creative. Radiohead created something new and memorable. I think they were the last "great" rock band.

We just don't have the caliber of musician participating in rock we used to. Partially, I'm sure, because not as many are trying their hand at it to begin with.

The problem with a band like Greta Van Susteren, is while they have talent, they're not very creative, they're retreads. Led Zepplin cover bands don't do it for me. (granted, maybe they've evolved, I haven't listened to them for a while)

I don't know why Greta Van Fleet takes so much heat. They put out good stuff. This is purely original just released a few months ago.

I was a freshman in high school when The Beatles hit the states and a senior in college when Hendrix and Joplin died. I had great music as a teenager.

Today I still listen to music from that era or classical music. Back before retirement I loved doing manual cell counts listening to opera, boy did it drive one of my coworker (who was a pain in the ass) crazy.

I listen to all kinds of music. Beethoven through present day. I just like *good* stuff. And rock just isn't producing much of it anymore. I've found many more good present day pop/dance/hip-hop tracks than I have rock.

From what I can tell, the quantity and quality of rock has really declined.

Once and a while I'll find a new track I dig, but I haven't bumped into any artists of significance. Now maybe there is some awesome underground stuff -- remember the Pixies never had mainstream success in the US -- that I'm missing... so toss it at me if you've got it.
I think the issue is modern rock music has largely moved out of what you would classify as rock music. A lot of modern rock is heavily influenced by hip-hop, electronic, and even dance music in many cases. Some may not include that as "rock", however, I've always thought rock music evolved over time. Rock music in the 70's and 80's didn't sound anything like rock music in the 50's and 60's. You can find influences, for sure, but it was very different. The same can be said for modern rock music, except it is far more influenced by music from the 90's and 2000's. Just more so the hip hop parts of it and less so the grunge part of it.

But that's fine, you don't have to think modern music is rock music to like it. When artists stop making money off music, that's when we need to start worrying.

Music is a cycle. I don't think rock will ever die, but it will certainly go through phases/styles of popularity. Right now it's much easier to make music on your own, sitting alone with a computer than to get out with other musicians and do it the old way... And it's really easy to get the music out there so you don't need to play shows. And with the record industry where it is, they're not looking to break bands left and right anymore like they used to.

Music is constantly evolving. It's a low point for rock. But it will come back at some point.

I don't think it'll ever be truly dead, but it's quite clear that Rock 108 seldom plays anything newer than 10 years old. But there were the Beatles in the 60's, then Nirvana in the 90's, and now maybe we're due. But I wont hold my breath.

I think it's very much alive, especially in it's influence on other genres like country but I also think it's evolving to get away from that classic 4 man lead/guitar/bass/drums sound. To be honest a lot of the bands from the "glory days" of rock sound pretty similar. Today it's all about finding a unique sound and not being easily lumped into 1 genre

The answer is yes, no, and you're old.
The fact is that music is always changing. So no, there will never be bands that make music like you used to listen to when you were a kid. So that music is dying. On the other hand kids are still making new music that you hate, which means that rock still lives. You're just the old man that hates it now. Live with it. You think you're cool, but so did you parents when you were listening to the Who or The Stones, or Korn. You get older, but new music stays new.
You're supposed to hate it.

The 70s were great, the 80s were pretty meh, the 90s were pretty good.

And yes, FTR, I HATE hair metal and not a fan of the Metallica/Metadeath of that era. Hard rock/heavy metal of the 80s was just not very good, a huge step back from the 1970s.

Good assessment!
70s good
80s bad
90s good
Early 00s not bad either

The answer is yes, no, and you're old.
The fact is that music is always changing. So no, there will never be bands that make music like you used to listen to when you were a kid. So that music is dying. On the other hand kids are still making new music that you hate, which means that rock still lives. You're just the old man that hates it now. Live with it. You think you're cool, but so did you parents when you were listening to the Who or The Stones, or Korn. You get older, but new music stays new.
You're supposed to hate it.
Abe Simpson said it best....

American rock is dead outside of a few bands, but it doesn’t seem like the UK will ever stop putting out great bands

I don’t see it coming back either, the culture is lost and kids have no idea how to play instruments like they used to. By the culture being lost, I mean that it needs to go back to being played in clubs every night and not at some stupid 200,000 person festival

If you want to talk about something that is nearly 6’ under, it’s the blues……and without the blues, you don’t have rock

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT