ADVERTISEMENT

Is Settles actually good on TV?

I've always been a fan, but only really see him when he's breaking down Iowa. So obviously more engaged and appreciate any bias he shows toward the Hawks. But he's pretty insightful and seems natural on camera. Not a superstar TV talent but sufficient and will only get better through the years.

Jess has done a few of the Gopher non-conference games this year. In those games, his calling cards are compliments and enthusiasm. I like him, but less volume and fewer over the top compliments would help.

I was a huge Jess Settles fan during his first few years at Iowa but then when injuries derailed his career I got a little tired of him when he came back for his 6th season (I know that is unfair). For some reason, maybe it is the Bohannon legacy, I have done a complete 180 on Settles and now I find myself really enjoying him on the BTN broadcast. I find him entertaining and insightful, even if he is a homer. I was always a bit disappointed with Chuck Long when he would be on BTN but I think Jess has been really good. Am I alone on this one?

I also caught Settles on a pod yesterday and found him to be a lot more engaging that I previously had thought. Has Settles always been this way and I was just never giving him credit or has he loosened up in recent years?

Settles Podcast
One of the best .Your question gives me insight to you. Yikes

I think Jess does a really good job and enjoy it when he does the game. In fact, I like all the BTN analysts.

But, I think Robbie Hummel is the current gold standard for analysts.
Bardo is good also. Hated him as a player but I am over that now.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT