ADVERTISEMENT

Is the playoff committe system flawed.

Hawky42

All-Conference
Nov 29, 2019
Because humans are idiots. And they want to pick teams that are the best fit for the playoff. And they are getting paid by the sport and some teams make the money. And they think the SEC is still the God conference despite SEC teams often losing to other good power 5 teams. And they are fickle on what's the most important stuff and in what order in how they rank the teams.

And the other thing that drives my brain to the oven is with these massive super conferences the strength of schedule for every team will change every few years.
A team will be like "shit we may go 8-4 this year but in 2 years are schedule is soft and we are in great shape to finish in the top twelve.

Obviously it is flawed. It all starts with the speculation before the season even starts. It starts with preseason rankings. (which is why I agree with KF, early season rankings do not mean shit and that goes for low or high rankings) Some conferences have half the teams start out high ranked and go down as the season goes on and others have many teams who start off lower and go up in rankings as the season goes on. So which is more impressive, the man who started with nothing and made a million or the one who started with a million and now has 1.2 million? Or worse started with a million and now has 900k. If you start off at 50th, who in the hell would you all have to beat to end up ranked 5th? They do not even make schedules that would allow that to happen. But if you started off 5th who in the hell would you all have to lose to to end up 30th, all of your non cons against much lesser teams? Then you add in "style points" when a team that is supposed to win and win pretty much without a doubt, Puts up 70 points instead of it just being 49 to 0. I guess, I do not see how you reward a team that just kicks the living crap out of a lesser team. I mean that is the same as UNI getting style points for destroying a local high school. If anything the risk of injury sky rockets (especially in the lesser team). If your son played HS football, would you want him playing in that kind of game??

Reactions: Moral
Because humans are idiots. And they want to pick teams that are the best fit for the playoff. And they are getting paid by the sport and some teams make the money. And they think the SEC is still the God conference despite SEC teams often losing to other good power 5 teams. And they are fickle on what's the most important stuff and in what order in how they rank the teams.

And the other thing that drives my brain to the oven is with these massive super conferences the strength of schedule for every team will change every few years.
A team will be like "shit we may go 8-4 this year but in 2 years are schedule is soft and we are in great shape to finish in the top twelve.
Any better ideas how to pick the teams?

Reactions: Ferentz_Fan
People bitched and moaned about the computer-heavy BCS algorithm picking the championship participants.

People bitch and moan about a committee of humans picking the CFP participants.

Bottom line - People like to bitch and moan when decisions aren't perceived as benefiting them.

FIFY...

Any better ideas how to pick the teams?
If you want the 12 "best" teams, then a Kenpom-style system is probably best, but it could result in some strange stuff late in games with teams trying to score or prevent scores during garbage time. Probably best to go with an RPI-style system. You need to win games against good teams. Not perfect, but better than a committee making up contradictory BS about why different teams deserve to be in or out of the playoff.

Not quite sure why this rant in April? Like MTF said people like to bitch and moan.

12/14 teams is way too many. I say you could get by with 6. The power conference champions, the highest rated non power conference team, the rest at large bids. The 14th ranked team is likely going to finish 3rd in their own conference and have 3 losses.

12/14 teams is way too many. I say you could get by with 6. The power conference champions, the highest rated non power conference team, the rest at large bids. The 14th ranked team is likely going to finish 3rd in their own conference and have 3 losses.
I agree, at least in theory. I have long wanted the conference champs to get in automatically. It makes the season more like a tournament vs a beauty contest.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT