ADVERTISEMENT

Is there a worse quarterback in college football than Deacon Hill?

I mean for anybody that's watched a lot or a little of college football. We've all seen some great quarterbacks out there. Have you seen anybody worse than Deacon Hill? I'm trying to think and I can't remember one. I know he tries real hard and everything, but zero results.
Tennessee paid millions for their qb that played today. Iowa Qb has no business even being on a scholarship., much less be on the field.

inOH7sM.jpg
LoLOMG!

Can we use SWARM money to incentivize him to transfer out? I’m afraid Kirk won’t be able to stop himself from playing Deacon if (when) Cade gets hurt.

Reactions: intrepodor
Based on this graphic, if there were an “Anti-Heisman” award then Deacon would have won it running away. Figuratively running, obviously.
The funny thing is this chart just shows power 5. But yes within all of NCAA he has the lowest QBR of all 126 QBs they tracked on ESPN.

We have to be honest that he likely could be much better with a functioning offensive system and recievers that can catch. But much better, is starting qb worthy for most of ncaa teams.

I mean for anybody that's watched a lot or a little of college football. We've all seen some great quarterbacks out there. Have you seen anybody worse than Deacon Hill? I'm trying to think and I can't remember one. I know he tries real hard and everything, but zero results.
assume this is rhetorical

Agree, but do think he could succeed at a lower level FCS or D2.
Doubtful - FCS and D2 QBs need to be mobile as much or more than FBS QBs. Hill would be no better than 3rd string QB at FCS powerhouse NDSU.

NDSU used two QBs very effectively in 2023:
Cam Miller - 71.5% completion % (best in FCS I believe), plus 629 yards rushing, 13 TDs
Cole Peyton - 66.7% completion % on limited passes, plus 615 yards rushing, 13 TDs. He was rotated in quite often primarily for QB runs. At 6'3" 230, he runs like a big RB. Longest run was 70 yards - Deacon Hill would probably need oxygen if he ran 70 yards.

Cam Miller, from Solon, IA, has developed into a very good QB for NDSU. DId Iowa go after Cam Miller out of HS, or did they overlook this Solon kid just down the road from Iowa City?

There should not be animosity toward Hill. He was doing the best that he could. His talent is just not sufficient to be playing the position at this level. And he was done no favors by an OC who also didn't belong in the position at this level. Nor the subpar play on the o-line or at wr.
The problem is the head coach and those on his staff contributing to this abomination of an offense.
Yes, Hill shouldn't have been playing. But it's not on him to bench himself.

There should not be animosity toward Hill. He was doing the best that he could. His talent is just not sufficient to be playing the position at this level. And he was done no favors by an OC who also didn't belong in the position at this level. Nor the subpar play on the o-line or at wr.
The problem is the head coach and those on his staff contributing to this abomination of an offense.
Exactly. People who want to call out players are ridiculous. You have a problem with the players? Look straight at the staff who are 100% responsible for recruiting, developing, and coaching them. The players are simply a reflection of the staff.

Hill will never start another football game for Iowa.

Zero chance with a new OC.
Deac would be well advised to keep working hard, keep his nose clean and mouth shut, and be elated if he is fortunate enough to be retained as the 3rd or 4th guy at Iowa. Get a good and expensive ($40-50k/year out of state) education for free and then move on with post-college life. At this point, as far as football is concerned, even the likes of Fordham would be letting his calls go to voicemail and flagging his emails as spam.

He will not start if the new OC is worth a shit. If he starts Hill….trouble.
The next time Deacon takes the field in an Iowa football game I am turning off the television. I was leaving my home yesterday at the beginning of the fourth quarter until I heard on the television that Lainez was entering the game. The games we won in which Deacon was the QB were in spite of his efforts, not because of them.

There's no doubt that Deacon is in way over his head. The issue is why.are the coaches playing him? It starts at the top and goes on down the line. It's painfully obvious better offensive players are needed at all levels . Except for Lavar Woods and the running.back coach there is no reason to keep any of the remaining offensive coaches. We all know that's not going to happen and that's what is so discouraging about the future.

I had a friend during the game yesterday mention half-heartedly that Deacon wouldn't start at Wartburg, which finished the season ranked 3rd in the country in DIII this season.

I’m an NDSU fan but watch quite a bit of Iowa football. He would have been 3rd string for the Bison this year, and it really would not have been close. I think there may have been a few MVFC teams who he may have had a chance of starting for, but I can’t really think of one off the top of my head.

I still can't get over one of the sacks he took yesterday.

I'd have to guess it was the worst sack I've ever witnessed.

The one where he was rolling to his right.

Just throw it into the sideline if nobody was open.

But he just stops and takes the sack.

Never in my life.
There was an open receiver running right in front of him. It was pretty unbelievable.

There was an open receiver running right in front of him. It was pretty unbelievable.

Yeah the RB was open right away.

I just can't figure out how he took the sack.

He either:

A) Didn't see the defender

or

B) Thought he was going to juke him

I still can't get over one of the sacks he took yesterday.

I'd have to guess it was the worst sack I've ever witnessed.

The one where he was rolling to his right.

Just throw it into the sideline if nobody was open.

But he just stops and takes the sack.

Never in my life.
that sack is imprinted in my mind as well. horrific. dude had multiple options to avoid a sack and tons of time and went down like a water buffalo tackled by a slightly faster hippo after a slo mo chase.

that sack is imprinted in my mind as well. horrific. dude had multiple options to avoid a sack and tons of time and went down like a water buffalo tackled by a slightly faster hippo after a slo mo chase.
His interception vs Minnesota is what sticks out to me. Throw into coverage with a receiver wide open to his left. This after two fumbles. Should have been fired along with Brian.

His interception vs Minnesota is what sticks out to me. Throw into coverage with a receiver wide open to his left. This after two fumbles. Should have been fired along with Brian.
Now are you implying that was worse than the one he threw against Nebraska which should have lost the game but instead they were even dumber and gave it right back? Or the horrific pick 6 he tossed out yesterday? All were things of beauty and in some cases our fans thought the one to Nebraska actually won the game for us because it was all part of Kirk and Brian's master plan of turn the ball over and hope they turn it right back to you.

Exactly

He's not very good, but neither are our WRs and O-line. O-line has to be better next year.....A LOT BETTER!

I’m an NDSU fan but watch quite a bit of Iowa football. He would have been 3rd string for the Bison this year, and it really would not have been close. I think there may have been a few MVFC teams who he may have had a chance of starting for, but I can’t really think of one off the top of my head.
You're being too kind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT