ADVERTISEMENT

Is this a real thing people in Wisconsin do?

Looks like the Wisconsin Department of Health Services just remembered one of their 2020 metrics is connected to Twitter and social media activity.

Reactions: OrlandNole
I have friends from the northeast who will have a few bites of raw hamburger while preparing meatloaf or burgers.

At the country club where I worked in high school we had a member named Roy. Roy was like 95 years old and ALWAYS had a lit cigarette in his hand. Every single day for lunch he'd order a hamburger, lightly browned on one side.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Basically Steak Tartare. I ordered it in France because it felt like the thing to do. When it came out I thought they were pulling some prank on stupid americans. Then I saw people eating it. It was about what you think it would be, raw hamburger. I ate some of it. Felt like a lion on the Serengeti.

When I was around 18 (1980), I knew this co-worker that ate raw hamburger at the restaurant I worked at. He told us he did, we laughed, then he ate the whole damn thing in about 5 minutes. This was a full service steak house, we ground our own burger and London Broil meat.

He said he had some American Indian ancestry (his dad was half Indian half Czech as I recall) and his whole family ate home made hamburger meat that way.

He did not get sick from it, but it was still astonishing to actually see. Mount Vernon kid as I recall. Was perfectly normal otherwise.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I have friends from the northeast who will have a few bites of raw hamburger while preparing meatloaf or burgers.

At the country club where I worked in high school we had a member named Roy. Roy was like 95 years old and ALWAYS had a lit cigarette in his hand. Every single day for lunch he'd order a hamburger, lightly browned on one side.

I worked at a greasy spoon in small town Iowa when I was in high school. I had a regular that would do the same thing...I think burger was still moving when I served it too him. Pretty fuggin gross.

When I was around 18 (1980), I knew this co-worker that ate raw hamburger at the restaurant I worked at. He told us he did, we laughed, then he ate the whole damn thing in about 5 minutes. This was a full service steak house, we ground our own burger and London Broil meat.

He said he had some American Indian ancestry (his dad was half Indian half Czech as I recall) and his whole family ate home made hamburger meat that way.

He did not get sick from it, but it was still astonishing to actually see. Mount Vernon kid as I recall. Was perfectly normal otherwise.
If the steak surface was sanitized before it was ground I suppose it would be safe. Ground beef is usually unsafe because when they grind it, the bacteria on the surface are ground up into the rest of it.

Did we work at the same restaurant?? :) Right about that same time, I worked in a restaurant and the butcher would eat raw hamburger as he cut that days meats. (He had no Indian ancestry, so probably not.)

Did we work at the same restaurant?? :) Right about that same time, I worked in a restaurant and the butcher would eat raw hamburger as he cut that days meats. (He had no Indian ancestry, so probably not.)

Sirloin n Brew.

This guy was a busboy mainly, which also meant he occasionally dishwashed. He was there maybe 6 months tops.

Sirloin n Brew.

This guy was a busboy mainly, which also meant he occasionally dishwashed. He was there maybe 6 months tops.

Western Sizzlin' Steakhouse, near where K-Mart on the east side used to be. To my knowledge, the managers were not aware of this habit, but several of us on the staff knew.

Everyone should work in a restaurant at least once in their life. :) Stories. :)

Reactions: bagdropper
I’ve never had raw dog in Wisconsin, but I’ve have it in Iowa several times.

To do it right, you cut and grind your own. Many people sear the outsides of a chunk of cold meat, cut off the cooked part and grind the remainder. No less safe than a rare steak. Good on saltines.

The wife’s (no pic) grandfather was a butcher and would help himself to cows and venison when butchering. Would clip off a chunk from the carcas, run it under the faucet to get rid of “most of the blood and fur” then pop it in his mouth and keep going. I declined to try it when offered.

• Wow
Reactions: ping72
Come from a family of Wisconsinites . Yes, this is a thing up there, it's common to eat them with raw onion at family get togethers. Less popular now than in years past due to education about dangers of consuming raw meat. For the record, I always thought it was nasty.

Reactions: torbee
Edgein.jpg
images

Reactions: torbee and HawCory
Cedar Rapids, next door to the original Target (where Home Depot is now) and Radio Shack. Far right hand side of the building there.

From say 1972 to 1985, the best steakhouse in CR by far. And their prime rib was ungodly awesome. Also had one helluva salad bar.

I remember the old original Target. I always wanted one of those giant pretzels from the deli when I was a kid.

Is Sirloin n Brew the place that Brent Musburger talked about during an Iowa football game? Or was that Sip n Stir?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT