ADVERTISEMENT

Is this team poised to go on a run?

General Tso

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2004
One eally bad loss, competitive against a few top 25 teams, and ripped isu and uni a new hole. The progression is noteworthy. If Jok can take over games and the supporting cast continues to do their part, look out.

Need to see how Cook fits in. Obviously probably starts for Wagner but what will happen to the bench?

I really like this team, but not expecting this kind of defense against the B1G. Or, let's say I don't expect our B1G opponents to shoot as badly as ISU and UNI. That doesn't mean we won't win our share of games.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Call me a Proctologist because at the moment I'm still enjoying thinking about the two holes Iowa handed out! :) If the usual happens, this young team will beat some teams we don't expect to beat, and turn around and get beat when we shouldn't. But, obviously the talent is there. I think that's been settled.

This team won because it valued beating the other Iowa boys. Iowa teams don't always value that very much. Pretty impressive win but I'd temper some of the enthusiasm, although a good run would be nice.

I really like this team, but not expecting this kind of defense against the B1G. Or, let's say I don't expect our B1G opponents to shoot as badly as ISU and UNI. That doesn't mean we won't win our share of games.
Both good wins to be sure.
Both opponents shot terribly. Some of it is certainly Iowa's D getting better. Some of it is the good fortune that Iowa had in getting isu and uni on nights when they couldn't throw water in the ocean.

It is unlikely Iowa has a straight line of improvement through the end of the season. The trajectory is on the right path, but there are still some downs coming to go with the ups.

Reactions: iowa surfer
Not sure yet. I think we also need to see how Jones fits in along with Cook and both have to bring this suddenly found defensive mentality. I just love seeing the improvement and desire to win.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Maybe not a long run but the boys should win the next couple. There will be some wild swings in B1G play. Starting three freshmen in B1G play is going to create some bitter moments but it will also bring some joyous upsets.

I bet Iowa's season is a series of runs, both good and bad. I still see the potential for a tournament team, but am going to just continue enjoying watching this team with few expectations.

They have gone from this is a year to watch improvement to a bubble NIT team IMO. Hopefully they can keep on improving and move up.

Reactions: DanL53
Iowa has a chance. There is no overwhelming #1 in the league. I think Iowa can steal some outmatched games. I think Iowas downfall will be conditioning late in the year. But, who knows

They have gone from this is a year to watch improvement to a bubble NIT team IMO. Hopefully they can keep on improving and move up.

I'll bet when we look back we'll wish we could play our first eight games over again. A very dangerous type of team for an NIT bid. And who knows, maybe we'll nab a couple more upsets our way than we give up, and we're in the hunt for the NCAA's.

It sure is turning into an exciting year if the total win/loss isn't the only thing a guy is interested in.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
I couldn't watch the game. I'll catch the replay on my Roku, though. I'm liking what I see in the stat sheet. This team has enough fire power on the offensive end, to win some BIG games. They could sneak into the 6-7 slot if they keep up the defensive intensity. I'm happy. Really happy with the wins against ISU/UNI. I'd love to know what the catalyst for the defensive transformation is.

As Fran mentioned tonite...there were 'some' spots where they were not playing all that bad of D. But when they were not...it was "really bad".

Its no miracle or deep secret.

..as many were saying this team was / is not only young but they had not played together.

..as one high school coach said to me...to get a really young team to buy into playing both ends is painful. Sometimes the best thing that can happen are "losses"...it wakes people up...then when they do buy in...you still have all the aspects of playing good "d" starting with communication.

..Iowa was not able to practice "enough" after reviewing game tape..case in point the Florida games.

..Most important...the players after the Omaha game...got themselves together...its that simple.

Glad Iowa won against an inferior UNI team. The BIG is right around the corner vs a big Purdue team and I think/fear you'll see the true Iowa team. They'll struggle with PUs height and athleticism.

The much more favorable B1G schedule gives Iowa a decent shot to finish in the top half of the league. Need to take care of business in the next two and figure out how to work Cook into the rotation without disrupting the momentum. It is usually hard to play more than 9 or 10 guys and be successful in conference.

Glad Iowa won against an inferior UNI team. The BIG is right around the corner vs a big Purdue team and I think/fear you'll see the true Iowa team. They'll struggle with PUs height and athleticism.
I agree that PU is a bad matchup with their bigs but I don't understand the athleticism comment. We're plenty athletic unless you're just referring to Bohannon which could probably be said for every BIG opponent. Bohannon adds so much offensively that he needs to be on the court 28-30 minutes and you have to hope the team defense can continue to overcome his deficiencies defensively.

Reactions: ZumaHawk

Purdue (fan here) went smaller in the second half yesterday vs. Notre Dame by taking Haas out and putting Swanigan at the 5 and V. Edwards (and Smotherman) at the 4, so there's a possibility that they might stick with that lineup going into the Iowa game (depending on their next two games). However, it's probably more likely that they'll go back to Haas at the 5 and Swanigan at the 4.

The good news is the first 2/3 of the B1G schedule looks manageable. There's plenty of beatable teams there. Need to beat the B1G favorites at home if we want to get in the dance.

I think we need one/two more players to take a step forward from the bench to succeed in March. The starters are fine right now.

Call me a Proctologist because at the moment I'm still enjoying thinking about the two holes Iowa handed out! :) If the usual happens, this young team will beat some teams we don't expect to beat, and turn around and get beat when we shouldn't. But, obviously the talent is there. I think that's been settled.

did you copy and paste this from the football board? LOL

i wonder if the team eventually hits a wall half way through the B1G season; (1) they are young, and it would be expected; (2) Fran's teams seem to go thru bad stretches, for whatever reason

i wonder if the team eventually hits a wall half way through the B1G season; (1) they are young, and it would be expected; (2) Fran's teams seem to go thru bad stretches, for whatever reason

I was thinking about them hitting a wall. It may happen. But I don't think it will be lasting. We are just too deep. Uhl can still find that shot again (although it looks like it needs a shooting coach lately). And with Cook & Jones coming back we will be on the rise.

I see too much talent there. We'll hit a wall at some point. But I think we'll bust right through it. Fran has a lot of guys with game.

The run has started. And it is about to have some more fuel to add to the fire. Jones & Cook will be great to have back.

Would it surprise you to know that McCaffery's teams at Iowa have won more games in the second half of the Big Ten regular season than they have in the first half?

Purdue (fan here) went smaller in the second half yesterday vs. Notre Dame by taking Haas out and putting Swanigan at the 5 and V. Edwards (and Smotherman) at the 4, so there's a possibility that they might stick with that lineup going into the Iowa game (depending on their next two games). However, it's probably more likely that they'll go back to Haas at the 5 and Swanigan at the 4.

Hey there Boiler...great come back yesterday. I was wondering if the Boiler fans that were there stuck around to enjoy the next game? Chanting "IU Sucks".;)

Painter can go both ways...big big or smaller...he will take advantage of both. Swanigan is a warrior..we will be very fortunate to win as we have so many young guys that have yet to experience B1G road environments. Mackey is one of the best.

Last edited:
I was thinking about them hitting a wall. It may happen. But I don't think it will be lasting. We are just too deep. Uhl can still find that shot again (although it looks like it needs a shooting coach lately). And with Cook & Jones coming back we will be on the rise.

I see too much talent there. We'll hit a wall at some point. But I think we'll bust right through it. Fran has a lot of guys with game.

The run has started. And it is about to have some more fuel to add to the fire. Jones & Cook will be great to have back.

agree we do have depth...the only one I would worry a little is Bohannon..seems the minutes between JB & CW is separating the last couple games.

..Iowa was not able to practice "enough" after reviewing game tape..case in point the Florida games.

This simple fact is completely ignored by too many fans. Early season, with inexperienced players and no time to review what you did wrong means repeat, repeat, repeat on the same mistakes and bad habits.

The time off to review things like positioning, switching off, anticipating passing lanes, etc means a world of difference in defensive play. And just because you start to understand it isn't the same as executing it flawlessly on the court - it takes reps and time for things to become 'habit' and to not even have to think about it anymore. Once they don't have to be trying to think about what they're supposed to be doing and are able to react and play, they can become a very good team.

That's all on coaching and work ethic. And the improvements made in just the last 2 games have been impressive on this.

Playing a top defense like Virginia was probably one of the better lessons for this young team.

agree we do have depth...the only one I would worry a little is Bohannon..seems the minutes between JB & CW is separating the last couple games.

I agree with you there Bob. We need Bohannon. Not sure what is CW's story? He seems to play with no confidence at all. That said, We need to keep playing CW. He has the skills to be something.
Plus we may be forced to use him if there is an injury to Bohannon....

Curious, how much PG is Dailey plays in practice? The guy seems very smooth with the ball. Maybe he'll pass CW...?

I agree with you there Bob. We need Bohannon. Not sure what is CW's story? He seems to play with no confidence at all. That said, We need to keep playing CW. He has the skills to be something.
Plus we may be forced to use him if there is an injury to Bohannon....

Curious, how much PG is Dailey plays in practice? The guy seems very smooth with the ball. Maybe he'll pass CW...?

I would think that CW is going thru what a lot of young PG's go thru...I didn't like the minutes separation of JB (31) & CW (13) against UNI...especially in a blowout. I could be wrong (have not yet watched the replay on ESPN3)...but I thought Fran had a chance in the last 5 min to get CW more time at point than he did.

Maybe the next 2 games will help that.

Not sure yet. I think we also need to see how Jones fits in along with Cook and both have to bring this suddenly found defensive mentality. I just love seeing the improvement and desire to win.

I don't think Jones fits in at this point and gets zero minutes moving forward, barring injury.

CW is not very good right now. His shot is off and he is thinking too much. Bohannon is a much better option right now. Only CW can change that equation.

I would think that CW is going thru what a lot of young PG's go thru...I didn't like the minutes separation of JB (31) & CW (13) against UNI...especially in a blowout. I could be wrong (have not yet watched the replay on ESPN3)...but I thought Fran had a chance in the last 5 min to get CW more time at point than he did.

Maybe the next 2 games will help that.

I thought the same about Kriener & Dailey too. Why not play them? UNI was beaten down badly with even 10 minutes to play. Sometimes I think Fran is too into the game and forgets to play the reserves more...

I agree with Suterman, CW is the only one who can fix his game. He needs to hit the reset button. He lost his starting job. S happens. Just play the game, and do not over think it. CW is a better player than what he is showing/performing right now. He needs to step back, relax and let the game come to him. He'll be a better player for it.

first CW has done some good things...at least it doesn't seem he is forcing shots...but for him to change the equation & fix his game...he needs minutes...13 against UNI is not enough....he should have played the last 5-6 minutes...minimum.

Reactions: perryhawk
Fran's not going more than 10 deep. (no Gopher jokes, please) He might only go 9 deep.
Bohannon
Williams
Moss
Jok
Bear
Wagner
Uhl
Pemsl
Cook
Ellingson, Kreiner, Jones?

Reactions: Franisdaman
Hey there Boiler...great come back yesterday. I was wondering if the Boiler fans that were there stuck around to enjoy the next game? Chanting "IU Sucks".;)

Painter can go both ways...big big or smaller...he will take advantage of both. Swanigan is a warrior..we will be very fortunate to win as we have so many young guys that have yet to experience B1G road environments. Mackey is one of the best.

Swanigan and Vince Edwards really spear-headed the comeback (I think VE made every shot he took in the 2nd half) and guys like P.J. Thompson and Dakota Mathias did little things that made a difference as well.

I believe a fair amount of them stuck around for the finale. I don't like IU as much as the next guy, but it's been overdone for years. Fans chant it at least once a game every home game. I would rather some of my fellow fans focus more on how good the Boilers can be and be excited about each and every game instead of obsessing over IU. After all, the Hawkeyes are the Boilermakers' most-hated rivals, not the Hoosiers. (tic)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT