ADVERTISEMENT

Is Urban Meyer overrated as a coach? NFL record 3 of the top 10 picks, 4 out of top 16.

"Urbans players"?? The question was, is he an over rated coach? Are you saying UM made these kids pro prospects? That's like saying a 5* 6'6" 280 HS school kid will get a college shot because of his coach. He, like freeze & Saban etc. GET ( somehow, as were learning @ ole miss) top tier athletes. Weight training & a couple years in a good league makes em prospects. Urban Meyers job is nothing like ferentz or dantonio who actually have to develop & coach players. Don't be an idiot. Urban is a recruiter. HIs better athletes won a lot of games. He's over rated AS A COACH!!
You gotta know football to know these things though, so you are excused.
This

He said OVER RATED!! Read the question dude!!

Relax its still laughable that OP suggest he's over rated. Guy has Won every where he's been at and has 3 national titles and multiple conference titles In the SEC and Big 10. Besides nick Saban name a coach right now with a better resume.

We went undefeated this season w ZERO drafted players so far. What's that's say bout Ferentz. Imagine if we had ALL Urbans players. So now does URBAN look as Godly as you think?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
We went undefeated this season w ZERO drafted players so far. What's that's say bout Ferentz. Imagine if we had ALL Urbans players. So now does URBAN look as Godly as you think?

Weak schedule?

Urban is not the greatest coach, but he surrounds himself with a quality staff. Plus he is a great recruiter.

I have many friends that are Florida fans, most didnt like Urban and thought he was a pompous prick. He didnt leave Florida due to health issues, he left because he knew the talent level was about to drop off and didnt want a blemish on his career.

Weak schedule?

Urban is not the greatest coach, but he surrounds himself with a quality staff. Plus he is a great recruiter.

I have many friends that are Florida fans, most didnt like Urban and thought he was a pompous prick. He didnt leave Florida due to health issues, he left because he knew the talent level was about to drop off and didnt want a blemish on his career.
Exactly, he knows he can't win w/o top recruits. Not the coach, real developer, mentor & he doesn't have patience of dantonio or KF. OVER RATED!!!!
Like coach Cal in basketball, good recruiter ok coach.

Ohio State lost one game, in a monsoon, when Elliott spent a few days during the week in the hospital for an illness. It's not like Ohio State lost 4-5 games last year. I still think they were one of the best, if not the best, teams in the country.

Winning a championship is very difficult. Repeating is brutal. Every player on that team mentioned after the loss to MSU that they could finally play loose and just play football. They dominated very good Michigan and Notre Dame teams after that loss. Urban is a very good coach and an excellent recruiter.
I agree, they choked one game and it cost them...need an 8 team playoff. I think OSU was the best team in the country last year.

Yeah, he sucks. He has won multiple national championships at two different institutions.

One has to agree Meyer is a good coach and recruiter. A coach would have to be some kind of dunce if he could not get top,top talent to come into Ohio State. They live almost within a stone's throw from Columbus. One wonders how he would fare if he were coaching at Iowa. Recruiting would be a different situation.

I had fun with a good friend and OSU nut. I told him that with that many top draft selections and not being able to get to the B!G championship game is a huge embarrassment worthy of dismissal by the President and/or the AD at OSU.

Weak schedule?

Are they just Florida fans or Florida fans close to the program that get their information from a source other than message boards and rumors? Big difference.

You don't have to believe it, but he really did have health issues. I mentioned it earlier in this thread, the stress and anxiety of the job kicked his butt and took a toll on him. Some of it was his own fault with the pressure he put on himself. Some of it was from the outside world and huge expectations. It got to the point when just winning a game wasnt enough.

I bleed black and gold and graduated from Iowa, but through my job I've met Urban a few times and know a few of his former players and one former coach. Not sure or not if he's a prick, but he is very honest and smug. His players really like him. Personally, I prefer the personality of a guy like Ferentz or Pat Fitzgerald, who are both very humble, but I havent met anyone who actually knows Urban say he's a prick.

Exactly, he knows he can't win w/o top recruits. Not the coach, real developer, mentor & he doesn't have patience of dantonio or KF. OVER RATED!!!!
Like coach Cal in basketball, good recruiter ok coach.
Care to explain his time at BGSU and Utah?

Reactions: spbc7
OSU has so many advantages in so many areas that the average coach will look like a superstar there. All the coach really has to do is stay out of trouble and pick from the many players who have OSU number one on their list. They may have to beat Michigan 2 out of 3 times.

Cooper and Bruce seen nodding in agreement.

Reactions: who r u and B1G
They were bad vs MSU. But no, he's a great coach. Starting Jones over Barrett didn't make a lot of sense with the way he likes to run his offense. That said, he has 3 national titles. The only active college coach with more is Nick Saban.

Are they just Florida fans or Florida fans close to the program that get their information from a source other than message boards and rumors? Big difference.

You don't have to believe it, but he really did have health issues. I mentioned it earlier in this thread, the stress and anxiety of the job kicked his butt and took a toll on him. Some of it was his own fault with the pressure he put on himself. Some of it was from the outside world and huge expectations. It got to the point when just winning a game wasnt enough.

I bleed black and gold and graduated from Iowa, but through my job I've met Urban a few times and know a few of his former players and one former coach. Not sure or not if he's a prick, but he is very honest and smug. His players really like him. Personally, I prefer the personality of a guy like Ferentz or Pat Fitzgerald, who are both very humble, but I havent met anyone who actually knows Urban say he's a prick.

These are fans close to the program. Many Florida fans really dont like Urban.

If you remember, during the SEC title game, they interrupted the game with breaking news of Urban's health issues and said he was stepping down at Florida. This was a douche bag move, he could have waiting for the season to end to announce this. Urban wanted the spotlight and that took away from the game. Dude is a pompous prick!

If you put Meyer or Saban at Iowa, They are still good coaches, Are they considered elite coaches, I have my doubts, It's about getting players, Saban wasn't a world beater at MSU, He didn't become the almighty until he landed jobs in the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, Not saying Meyer or Saban aren't good coaches, But if you wan't to be an elite program, You have to get elite talent, Some places have a far easier row to hoe to get that talent than others.

Last edited:
Ha ha. As far as whether Meyer is overrated as a coach or not, I'll let the stupidity of that comment stand for itself.

As to whether Meyer is a prick or not? As a previous poster stated probably not to his freinds, family, and those with whom he is close. To outsiders, maybe. It seems that is a very consistent trait with those who are the elite within their occupation. Not just successful, but defined as the top 1-5%. Whether we're talking about sports, business, politics, law, medicine, or any other discipline- the elite tend to single minded in focus, little patience for those who don't share a like mindedness, and arrogant.

But hey, if they ever start giving an award for "The Nicest Guy in Coaching", or placing teams in the playoffs for a coach's popularity in the polls among opposing fans, then coaches like Meyer could be in trouble.

So, I take it that in this context, the definition of a "coach" is an X and O guy. Well, UM is not a "coach", he is the Head Coach of one of the top 2 or 3 football programs in the nation. He is the CEO of an incredible football powerhouse.

Now, who knows how he would do if he became the d-coordinator at Indiana? And, who cares? The guy knows how to run a football program.

There is no question that he is one of the best in the country as a Head Coach, referring to the entire job description.

I was kidding somewhat- of course he's a very good coach. Iowa fans would go nuts if Kirk lost a game with that type of talent - maybe Iowa fans have higher expectations.
An example of the expectations of Iowaaah fans (the thread was regarding ISU recruiting)...

Posted on 8/4/2011, "...Going 3-9 every year isnt going to get recruits to Lames. No, going 7-5 and going to a bowl will help. They got it backwards at ISU."

Just going to a bowl game is good enough for Iowaaah fans. 6 wins and they're satisfied.

If you put Meyer or Saban at Iowa, They are still good coaches, Are they considered elite coaches, I have my doubts, It's about getting players, Saban wasn't a world beater at MSU, He didn't become the almighty until he landed jobs in the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, Not saying Meyer or Saban aren't good coaches, But if you wan't to be an elite program, You have to get elite talent, Some places have a far easier row to hoe to get that talent than others.
Look up the situation Saban walked into at MSU...Kinda ugly....

Look up the situation Saban walked into at MSU...Kinda ugly....

I remember, Peerles got fired for lack of Institutional control IIRC grade tampering, No heavy punishment from NCAA as far as Saban's tenure, Lost scholarships his first year, Still bowl and TV eligible. So I don't now that he really walked into a tougher job than KF did when he took over for Hayden, I would say the cupboard was a tad better stocked at MSU. Saban did OK at MSU, He wasn't exactly on his way to the HOF there.

I remember, Peerles got fired for lack of Institutional control IIRC grade tampering, No heavy punishment from NCAA as far as Saban's tenure, Lost scholarships his first year, Still bowl and TV eligible. So I don't now that he really walked into a tougher job than KF did when he took over for Hayden, I would say the cupboard was a tad better stocked at MSU. Saban did OK at MSU, He wasn't exactly on his way to the HOF there.
Heaviest punishment handed to a B10 member since the Illinois basketball scandal..They were paying recruits along with the academic fraud. They were placed on probation for 4 years. Lost 9 scholarships. Everything they did academically was monitored by the NCAA for a few years..It was an ugly time for the MSU program..Under the sanctions, I'd say he did a pretty good job there.

OSU has so many advantages in so many areas that the average coach will look like a superstar there. All the coach really has to do is stay out of trouble and pick from the many players who have OSU number one on their list. They may have to beat Michigan 2 out of 3 times.

Luke Fickell disagrees with this

Ohio State lost one game, in a monsoon, when Elliott spent a few days during the week in the hospital for an illness. It's not like Ohio State lost 4-5 games last year. I still think they were one of the best, if not the best, teams in the country.

Winning a championship is very difficult. Repeating is brutal. Every player on that team mentioned after the loss to MSU that they could finally play loose and just play football. They dominated very good Michigan and Notre Dame teams after that loss. Urban is a very good coach and an excellent recruiter.
urban doesn't really have to recruit - OSU is OSU. Top players want to go there just like Alabama.

This. As a huge Iowa fan and alum, I can't believe Im doing this but Im going to defend Urban.

He has won everywhere he has coached. You can't fault a coach for having a talented roster to work with. He played a major part in developing that roster. He didn't have the name brand or talent-filled roster at BG or Utah, yet managed to win. I really think his best coaching job was the year he took over OSU and went 12-0 with a team surrounded by turmoil and not eligible for the post season.

I always read about his health issues and people make jokes about it and just assume that when things started to go south, he created some sort of illness, but how do we know he really wasnt having health issues? Stress and anxiety is real and over time, it can cause a lot of problems and issues. I have some co-workers who know Urban really well and they have told me that after the titles, everything just got bottled up inside and winning was no longer good enough. You had to dominate. Based on everything they told me, I believe his health problems were real. The whole "I want to spend more time with my family" statement was easier than saying "Im having some major health issues and the stress and anxiety has finally kicked my butt."

Sure, it's easier to get talent to come to Florida and OSU versus Iowa or Northwestern, but he still had to manage that talent and push the right buttons. Not always easy to do...just ask Michigan.

urban doesn't really have to recruit - OSU is OSU. Top players want to go there just like Alabama.

True, if a coach was interested in getting most of the top recruits out of Ohio, and counted on its reputation and tradition to bring in prospects from the conference footprint, they would probably get a top 20 class. But if you are interested in Getting the top prospects at each position, players who are being recruited by Alabama, LSU, Florida State, Clemson, Notre Dame, Texas, and USC- shooting for a top 1-5 class, then you do have to work.

An example of the expectations of Iowaaah fans (the thread was regarding ISU recruiting)...

Posted on 8/4/2011, "...Going 3-9 every year isnt going to get recruits to Lames. No, going 7-5 and going to a bowl will help. They got it backwards at ISU."

Just going to a bowl game is good enough for Iowaaah fans. 6 wins and they're satisfied.

Way to pull out a post from an Iowa fan 5 years and sum up the whole fan base by it. You've been saving this post since 2011 and now you finally played it and failed miserably.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT