ADVERTISEMENT

ISU Meet

I believe the upper level (majority of the seats) at Hilton for wrestling are GA. So they don’t have a ton of reserved seats for wrestling duals. I think most duals the reserved seats are just the middle 4 sections. I think they extend that to all lower sections for the Iowa dual only tho.

Assume the $25 price is for the reserved seats. What are they charging for the GA seats?

Or maybe a Hawkeye Huddle at Jethro’s with a ton of Hawk fans, HWC members, Iowa alumni, and Gable.;)

Is there a special on Wings?
If Black Market pizza was still around I'd hit Hickory Park before the dual and Black Market for a Rueben Pizza for the road.

Anyone have Info on HWC practices Sayurday?

Reactions: The cow catcher
Is there a special on Wings?
If Black Market pizza was still around I'd hit Hickory Park before the dual and Black Market for a Rueben Pizza for the road.

Anyone have Info on HWC practices Sayurday?
Odds are good that you could get some good grub courtesy of the U of I. You gotta like that.

I think its a smart play by Pollard. He does this all the time at the Iowa fanbase expense.

1. He doesnt want a majority Iowa fanbase. So while there will be a few Mitch's out there balking at price...he know the real Iowa fan will pay the $25 which more than makes up for a few missing. Figure it this way. $25 tickets cover one Iowa fan who would still buy at $10 plus another who wouldnt and still pocket 5. Me buying a ticket pays for me, a mitch no show and $5 leftover.

2. This drives up season ticket sales. Ticket sales are not that much so when the ISU fan looks at the $25 individual price, why not pay the extra difference and get all home meets. Pollard has done this alot. He also has been great at offering small ticket packages for football games throughout the years.

Hey man when your product wont sell itself off of the brand alone you have to have angles.

I have no issue paying $25 and my pregame bill will be way more at Welch Ave/ Pizza Pit. Hell I'd pay $25 just for the cheese bread and a Coors Light.

I think its a smart play by Pollard. He does this all the time at the Iowa fanbase expense.

1. He doesnt want a majority Iowa fanbase. So while there will be a few Mitch's out there balking at price...he know the real Iowa fan will pay the $25 which more than makes up for a few missing. Figure it this way. $25 tickets cover one Iowa fan who would still buy at $10 plus another who wouldnt and still pocket 5. Me buying a ticket pays for me, a mitch no show and $5 leftover.

2. This drives up season ticket sales. Ticket sales are not that much so when the ISU fan looks at the $25 individual price, why not pay the extra difference and get all home meets. Pollard has done this alot. He also has been great at offering small ticket packages for football games throughout the years.

Hey man when your product wont sell itself off of the brand alone you have to have angles.

I have no issue paying $25 and my pregame bill will be way more at Welch Ave/ Pizza Pit. Hell I'd pay $25 just for the cheese bread and a Coors Light.
You can probably keep your pre-game bill close to $0 if you join us at the Hawkeye Huddle. The U of I will be providing a good amount of food as I understand it.

When is the last time Iowa charged $25 for a dual? They haven't. Pollard is an asshole.
Pollard's had a lot of bad coaching contracts and bad hires that he's probably still trying to pay off. Multiple sports where he's flopped.

I guess if people are willing to pay, more power to him.

But as previously stated... he's still an asshole. And going to Hilton to see MAYBE five competitive matches seems a stretch.

Reactions: Gobblin
Pollard's had a lot of bad coaching contracts and bad hires that he's probably still trying to pay off. Multiple sports where he's flopped.

I guess if people are willing to pay, more power to him.

But as previously stated... he's still an asshole. And going to Hilton to see MAYBE five competitive matches seems a stretch.

Shouldn’t be a surprise. Pollard does this for all Iowa ISU sporting events in Ames. Double whammy for him. Either we Iowa fans don’t want to pay his exorbitant prices and not come or we do and he makes a pile of money. It hurts his own fan walk up ticket sales, but I’m pretty sure that he doesn’t care about that. He’s taking advantage of the bigger fan base in our state.

With that said ISU has long been making more money off ISU/Iowa games than Iowa ever has

Coming years? Not strong enough of a statement I’m afraid. He’ll be a bitch right out of the gates
But the good news is that one elite recruit, every other year, won't get the team into any trophy hunt. Dresser desperately needs to land Facundo this year after last year's whiffs. Short of landing him and they're nothing more than a top ten fringe team going forward.

These are the long term effects of the KJ regime. ISU is a second tier destination after the dropoff when CS departed.

Reactions: jvclark
Shouldn’t be a surprise. Pollard does this for all Iowa ISU sporting events in Ames. Double whammy for him. Either we Iowa fans don’t want to pay his exorbitant prices and not come or we do and he makes a pile of money. It hurts his own fan walk up ticket sales, but I’m pretty sure that he doesn’t care about that. He’s taking advantage of the bigger fan base in our state.

With that said ISU has long been making more money off ISU/Iowa games than Iowa ever has

Just looked up the prices for Iowa football games...

Sec. 126 - Middle Tennessee St. - $50.00
Sec. 126 - Purdue - $65.00
Sec. 126 - Minnesota - $80.00
Sec. 126 Illinois - $65.00
** Penn St. game is sold out so I couldn't get prices.

The Floyd of Roseville Rivalry game with Minnesota is $15.00 more then the other B1G games and $30.00 more then a non conference game. Raising the price for rivalry games seems to be pretty standard.

Reactions: crablegs1

The Floyd of Roseville Rivalry game with Minnesota is $15.00 more then the other B1G games and $30.00 more then a non conference game. Raising the price for rivalry games seems to be pretty standard.
It is for everyone but ISU. (MitchL logic).

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
It is for everyone but ISU. (MitchL logic).
66% price increase for rivalries? Uh... no!

ISU is famous for gimmicks and such. Curtain... anyone? Beauty and the Beast? Billboards...

Comparing football to wrestling tix is misleading. In ISU's case... I'm sure they're hoping for 10,000+ for the Iowa dual. The real way to increase attendance is to field a team that's competitive. They might be getting closer, but with last years' recruiting whiffs and no transfers, it's difficult to see they've improved other than the returning kids being a year older..outside of the upgrade @157.

133/141/149/157/184 can be considered tossups. No way in hell ISU wins every one of those. But they need 4/5 to even keep it close. They're schedule won't draw flies outside of OSU and Iowa.

Pollard's making a calculated gamble that Hawk fans will pay.

66% price increase for rivalries? Uh... no!

ISU is famous for gimmicks and such. Curtain... anyone? Beauty and the Beast? Billboards...

Comparing football to wrestling tix is misleading. In ISU's case... I'm sure they're hoping for 10,000+ for the Iowa dual. The real way to increase attendance is to field a team that's competitive. They might be getting closer, but with last years' recruiting whiffs and no transfers, it's difficult to see they've improved other than the returning kids being a year older..outside of the upgrade @157.

133/141/149/157/184 can be considered tossups. No way in hell ISU wins every one of those. But they need 4/5 to even keep it close. They're schedule won't draw flies outside of OSU and Iowa.

Pollard's making a calculated gamble that Hawk fans will pay.
Last year they were 6th in the nation in attendance, and had their best attendance since Cael was wrestling. I think they’re objectively doing fine in this area.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Last year they were 6th in the nation in attendance, and had their best attendance since Cael was wrestling. I think they’re objectively doing fine in this area.
Please post the top ten in attendance. We all know the significant dropoff after Iowa and PSU and tOSU.

I bet ISU never made it to 4,000.:rolleyes:

The NCAA Division I Wrestling Attendance Top 25 for 2018-19

Rank School Home Dates Total Avg
1 Iowa 7 59,684 8526.3
2 Penn State 8 61,718 7714.8
3 Ohio State 6 34,900 5816.7
4 Oklahoma State 7 36 5226.6
5 Rutgers 8 40,306 5038.3
6 Iowa State 7 24,988 3569.7
7 Minnesota 7 21,143 3020.4
8 Virginia Tech 5 12,347 2469.4
9 Fresno State 7 16,818 2402.6
10 Michigan 6 13,414 2235.7

Reactions: MitchLL

Fair enough. But Pollard charged $95 for the Iowa game. More than any game in Kinnick. Iowa season tix are more than ISU, so in my mind single game tickets for “big games in Kinnick should be more too?

Raising prices for a rivalry game is fine. Not to the extent Pollard does. Iowa charged $15 for the ISU dual last year. Never has charged more than
$15 for a single dual. That's for a top 3 team against anyone they have ever wrestled.

Pollard is an asshole. They won't draw 10k for the meet mainly because of his gouging.

1 Iowa 7 59,684 8526.3
Rutgers is surprising, while Minny is really disappointing. I imagine Rutgers easily surpasses OSU

What are the chances that Spencer Lee focuses on freestyle the first semester or does he wrestle all the early season duals? I assume if he wrestled any of the duals it would be ISU. If he wants to wrestle in the Olympic trials he would have to qualify at either the Bill Farell (November 18-19), US Olympic trials qualifier (December 20-22), or Dave Shultz (January).

Reactions: Ihawkd9times

1 Iowa 7 59,684 8526.3

Compared to Basketball an Football its embarrassing numbers! How the hell do we get butts in the seats!!!!!?

It's "standard" throughout the Country, College or Pro, rival or not. They up the ticket price and call it a "premium" game. It is what it is.

Seems like basic economics, right?
You're right, but most of the P5 schools probably generate the lion's share of their sports revenue from the big tv contracts. Attendance figures I would think would be more about a recruiting selling point or helping the local Chamber of Commerce operate in the black.

In the end... I suppose ISU getting 8,000+ butts in seats isn't much different than getting 10,000+. I would think ISU has an opportunity of making top 5 in attendance with OSU/Iowa at home. Might have to give away a couple thousand "freebies" and let kid wrestlers in at no cost since it's a Sunday.

Seems like basic economics, right?
Yeah, I suppose, and it's been going on for quite some time now, but I believe there was a day when every game was the same price, regardless of opponent.

You either pony up and go or you don't. To each his own.

1 Iowa 7 59,684 8526.3

Pretty amazing considering last year’s schedule. A 30% increase this year should be no problem.

$15 is for the wrestling ticket
the additional $10 is for the privilege of seeing ISU getting beat in front of a bunch of ISU fans who think they're going to win.

IMO, worth it to see the twofer, an Iowa win and an ISU crushing defeat at home. Very few acceptable circumstances in our modern PC society where it's okay to feel good about someone else feeling bad, enjoy it before the PC cops take this away too. Hey this could be a Mastercard commercial....priceless.

$15 is for the wrestling ticket
the additional $10 is for the privilege of seeing ISU getting beat in front of a bunch of ISU fans who think they're going to win.

IMO, worth it to see the twofer, an Iowa win and an ISU crushing defeat at home. Very few acceptable circumstances in our modern PC society where it's okay to feel good about someone else feeling bad, enjoy it before the PC cops take this away too. Hey this could be a Mastercard commercial....priceless.
ISU loses to Iowa at Hilton every other year, anyway! Why charge an extra $10 to see it this season? And I doubt Clone fans think they're going to win.

This dual is no longer a rivalry. In a rivalry... the outcome is in doubt. The only question when the Hawks wrestle ISU is the final score. ISU's main rival now is UNI.

ISU loses to Iowa at Hilton every other year, anyway! Why charge an extra $10 to see it this season? And I doubt Clone fans think they're going to win.

This dual is no longer a rivalry. In a rivalry... the outcome is in doubt. The only question when the Hawks wrestle ISU is the final score. ISU's main rival now is UNI.
Mitchy, this $10.00 hike seems to have you very distraught and I hate to see you this upset. Get me your venmo information and I will help you out with that $10.00 pal.

Mitchy, this $10.00 hike seems to have you very distraught and I hate to see you this upset. Get me your venmo information and I will help you out with that $10.00 pal.
2004/2005. Digest that for a minute.

Got another one for you... 1987?

And another... 65-16-2?

BTW: I'm not the least bit upset. Definitely humored, tho.

Really enjoyed it 2 years ago so will try to get back down there this year. Loved the Lets Go Hawks chants on the road. ISU did have a great intro for the meet, place was rocking, but it did go south fast for them. Didn't like the forfeit but than after Dressers comment post meet, I realized Brands is a genius and is totally in that mans head. Dresser is outmatched in Iowa.

Last year the dual came down to the wire, and if not for AD getting off his back, we lose that meet. While Iowa fans might understand the intricacies of why the score was so close, the casual ISU fan saw a closing of the gap.

Add in the marketing job they have been doing in Ames, which has been outstanding, and you have a lot of excited people, many of which will be showing up thinking they have a shot.

If an extra $10 isn't worth it to you to see how crushed these fans are, to see ISU fans feel the agony of losing to Iowa in yet another athletic competition, then I don't know what to tell you. Seeing Iowa beat ISU or Nebraska at anything is worth extra money to me, any day of the week.

Last year the dual came down to the wire, and if not for AD getting off his back, we lose that meet. While Iowa fans might understand the intricacies of why the score was so close, the casual ISU fan saw a closing of the gap.

Add in the marketing job they have been doing in Ames, which has been outstanding, and you have a lot of excited people, many of which will be showing up thinking they have a shot.

If an extra $10 isn't worth it to you to see how crushed these fans are, to see ISU fans feel the agony of losing to Iowa in yet another athletic competition, then I don't know what to tell you. Seeing Iowa beat ISU or Nebraska at anything is worth extra money to me, any day of the week.
ISU causal fan? Da Fuq? They drew <4,000 fans, average, last season. And that's with a few gimmicks thrown in. Most of the ISU fan base that remembers "the good ole days" are in nursing homes or assisted living.

Iowa will be their biggest draw this season, by a lot. I realize they'll likely have 10,000+ for Iowa. In college wrestling, there is no "casual fan". It's a niche sport as much as we hate to admit it.

But I will compliment the schedule makers... having Iowa dual on a Sunday will get the high school kids/coaches in the State to attend. That's where the attendance will come from, imo.

Last edited:

Don't even try to explain this to mitch. His head might explode.

Don't even try to explain this to mitch. His head might explode.
I'll type this really, really slow so you can follow...

Wrestling tix prices... Iowa... regular adult price $12
PSU adult price $20 a 75% increase.

ISU ... regular adult price $10
Iowa adult price $25 a 150% increase.

If you're not intelligent enough to understand the difference... I can't help you.

And football tix prices are not relevant to this convo, so I won't even attempt to explain that to you.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and Gobblin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT