ADVERTISEMENT

ISU parking

yiana

HR Heisman
Aug 2, 2010
Iowa State board is premium and there’s enough Cyclone fans on here to provide input.

Where’s the best place to park for the game? TIA

City Hall and ride CyRide for $1. Though not an ISU but did attend UNI game there. Or walk the 1.5 miles to the stadium.

The Gameday thing really hoses things as there will be even more people there that have no plans to go into the game. And they will be there extra early. We always parked at Vet Med area ($20 a car) south of the stadium which is not a bad walk, but from what I gather Game Day is setting up on the south side of the stadium which is gonna eat up parking there so not sure where they are gonna put those people. It will be a cluster.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
One thing weather is showing for this week is possibility for a ton of rain over the next 3 to 4 days so who knows what that does to any grass parking.

The Gameday thing really hoses things as there will be even more people there that have no plans to go into the game. And they will be there extra early. We always parked at Vet Med area ($20 a car) south of the stadium which is not a bad walk, but from what I gather Game Day is setting up on the south side of the stadium which is gonna eat up parking there so not sure where they are gonna put those people. It will be a cluster.

This is an under statement. Traffic and parking is a cluster every Iowa game there and this will be 3 times worse. I've seen traffic backed up past I 35 three hours before the game in past years. One year I believe the announcers made it there about 15 mins before kickoff.

This is an under statement. Traffic and parking is a cluster every Iowa game there and this will be 3 times worse. I've seen traffic backed up past I 35 three hours before the game in past years. One year I believe the announcers made it there about 15 mins before kickoff.

Oh yeah. We take highway 30 in from the east and that last mile takes forever.

Park at HyVee for free and walk.

Done this countless times. Just park in area not close to any business.

The signs about towing are BS. What are they going to do? Walk through each store and ask every employee and customer if it is their car?

It will be insane for sure.

Park at HyVee for free and walk.

Done this countless times. Just park in area not close to any business.

The signs about towing are BS. What are they going to do? Walk through each store and ask every employee and customer if it is their car?

It will be insane for sure.

you can get a little closer but yes before i had many children and went to games that is what i would do but you can get closer up and to the left.

ISU changed their parking rules this year:

https://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2019/08/29/football-parking

Let me say this, I would review this. We have parking passes but for those that didn't last week, I guess it was a lot tougher. If grass lots are closed as some have suggested, it could be really tough. I'd suggest trying to get in to town about 2 hours early if you're not tailgating. That way you'll miss the tailgating crowd arriving, but also miss the people the try to roll in right before the game.

I am sure rules against it, but if they opened Kinnick and played on the big boards and have a few concession stands open I am sure a few would show up even prior to allowing beer sales in there.
I do not doubt that for an instant. Would be fun.

ISU changed their parking rules this year:

https://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2019/08/29/football-parking

Let me say this, I would review this. We have parking passes but for those that didn't last week, I guess it was a lot tougher. If grass lots are closed as some have suggested, it could be really tough. I'd suggest trying to get in to town about 2 hours early if you're not tailgating. That way you'll miss the tailgating crowd arriving, but also miss the people the try to roll in right before the game.

If they wait until 9am to open the lots it will be the biggest shit show Ames has ever seen - and that's saying a lot.

Reactions: NITE HAWK6
Even if you’re coming from the east/Des Moines if there is really a three hour traffic jam off 30 I would 100% go west and up through Madrid and take 30 east and get off on Lincoln Way exit in west Ames and take that all the way to the stadium area. We take west Ames via Lincoln way all the time and have zero issues or wait. Might be a little out of your way but it’s maybe 45 minutes vs sitting in traffic for god knows how long.

Even if you’re coming from the east/Des Moines if there is really a three hour traffic jam off 30 I would 100% go west and up through Madrid and take 30 east and get off on Lincoln Way exit in west Ames and take that all the way to the stadium area. We take west Ames via Lincoln way all the time and have zero issues or wait. Might be a little out of your way but it’s maybe 45 minutes vs sitting in traffic for god knows how long.

Great screen name. I'd prefer to kill myself too...

Last time I went I parked at the old Kmart parking lot. I would suggest that. Its a short walk and always places to park

Last time I went I parked at the old Kmart parking lot. I would suggest that. Its a short walk and always places to park
How long ago was that? The last I knew, they don't want people parking there and are pretty vigilant about towing vehicles left in the lot.

Reactions: Yetty
I always parked at the towers and then walked. Never had any trouble parking there or walking. Also, it is only a few blocks west.

I always parked at the towers and then walked. Never had any trouble parking there or walking. Also, it is only a few blocks west.

Tried to park there for the UNI game as I didn't get my regular spot on Ashmore. There were signs in the lot that said no gameday parking. Couldn't quite figure that out, since there were all kinds of empty spots !!

I like to park at the Memorial Union ramp. It's about a 10 minute walk. We paid $10.50 for about 7 hrs in the ramp for UNI game.

I would avoid University Avenue. Coming from CR on Hwy 30, I take I-35 North to 13th Street, then continue on to the north side of campus, then find your way to the ramp. Sorry, I dont know the exact street names - I just know where to go. It is out of the way, but you will keep moving and not sit still. Cars were really backed up on Hwy 30 trying to get onto University. Pick your poison.

My advice is to park as far away as you are comfortable with walking. They do not observe basic courtesy of merging by taking turns with every other car and it can take forever to get out. Has happened to me most years. Rude as hell.

I was thinking about parking to the West of the stadium a ways. I know that the Middle School is a long walk, but I will be coming from the west on HWY 30. I would much rather walk that wait in traffic. Is that an option? Or what about the Gateway hotel parking lot. I have done in the past, but that was quite a few years ago. Any other options west of the stadium would be helpful. Thanks.

We went to the ISU/UNI game and parked at City Hall for free. There were maybe a handful of cars there. It’s a 1.5 mile walk or $1 for CyRide bus. Didn’t have to deal with traffic until getting I35 south but I’d guess there’s an easier way out of town that is faster though more miles. If you want to park close then I’d suggest be there at 5:00 am.

Will the rain affect the parking at all?
Does a cat have an ass? Does the Pope shit in the woods?

If it rains enough this week, they may not be able to use the grass lots, and God knows what kind of mess that would create. The problem isn't just a sellout crowd. The problem is the 25,000 or so people who come to tailgate with no intention of attending the game. Throw in Game Day and it's time to pray for dry weather.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT