ADVERTISEMENT

ISU's latest commits

mr12182

HR MVP
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2009
Was Iowa recruiting any of the 5 in state ISU recruits: Owens, Flora, Harsh , Reeves and Broderson ? TIA

There is always a possibility of any recruit developing into a legit D1 wrestler but from this group most would say Reeves and Broderson have the most potential. Not knocking the others but they will need to progress exponentially to develop into solid contributors to the ISU starting line-up.

ISU won't return to relevancy getting one high profile high schooler a year. As we saw with Broderson's loss to Ryg... you have to be a bit skeptical of guys in his weight range simply because the best talents go the football route.

BTW: I feel the same way about the Warnerov hype.

Dresser survives getting 2-3 transfers a year, imo.

That is certainly what made the jump this year. You take out 125 and replace him with the 7/11 kid they had last season. Then take out 197 and fill in with a freshman. ISU is a different team. Also, their AA was at VT 2 years ago. I'm not knocking it. It is part of the landscape in NCAA wrestling now. Throw in the transfer portal and things are going to get messy.

Reactions: redmarlie
That is certainly what made the jump this year. You take out 125 and replace him with the 7/11 kid they had last season. Then take out 197 and fill in with a freshman. ISU is a different team. Also, their AA was at VT 2 years ago. I'm not knocking it. It is part of the landscape in NCAA wrestling now. Throw in the transfer portal and things are going to get messy.
Don't know the veracity of the story or if it's just some clown(pun intended) trolling the fans, but a thread on CF is suggesting Anderson might not get into ISU?

Likely just a rumor. It's the off season.:rolleyes:

Don't know the veracity of the story or if it's just some clown(pun intended) trolling the fans, but a thread on CF is suggesting Anderson might not get into ISU?

Likely just a rumor. It's the off season.:rolleyes:

He's not helping himself. Has to take a summer course and not mess that up.

He's not helping himself. Has to take a summer course and not mess that up.
Would likely explain why better schools backed away during his recruitment if this is the issue. Lower level programs don't have as much to lose taking a gamble. Strange that a parochial high school would have that happen.

Then again... there are several ways to have problems from an academic standpoint, I guess.

and where are the hawks without 133 and 149 transfers?

Was Iowa recruiting any of the 5 in state ISU recruits: Owens, Flora, Harsh , Reeves and Broderson ? TIA

Reeves and Broderson are legits. The rest are room guys/long shots to be high AAs. I see Reeves as a 2 or maybe 3 time AA, Broderson as a 1-2 time AA. Both would look great as Hawks but neither are unlikely game changers.

ISU won't return to relevancy getting one high profile high schooler a year. As we saw with Broderson's loss to Ryg... you have to be a bit skeptical of guys in his weight range simply because the best talents go the football route.

BTW: I feel the same way about the Warnerov hype.

Warner making the podium as a RS frosh should have put this to bed for you.

Reeves and Broderson are legits. The rest are room guys/long shots to be high AAs. I see Reeves as a 2 or maybe 3 time AA, Broderson as a 1-2 time AA. Both would look great as Hawks but neither are unlikely game changers.

Warner making the podium as a RS frosh should have put this to bed for you.
Unsure on your predictions. All of them. Time will tell.

Just to address Warner... my random opinion is that he's a bit too short for the weight. Leverage is a big deal and I see him struggling with taller, lankier opponents. And I'm only talking being a National champion. He certainly is a strong candidate to be a 4X AA and that's no small feat.

Reeves issue will be workout partners in the room. There are none right now with credentials.

Just to address Warner... my random opinion is that he's a bit too short for the weight. Leverage is a big deal and I see him struggling with taller, lankier opponents. And I'm only talking being a National champion. He certainly is a strong candidate to be a 4X AA and that's no small feat.

Reeves issue will be workout partners in the room. There are none right now with credentials.
Austin Gomez is alright.

Austin Gomez is alright.
Did he AA? He might not next year either. 133 is still loaded. I don't understand the hype. He can beat a decent guy the first time they meet. But once he's scouted and you take away his throws... meh!

Same thing with the early hype on Parker. Until Dresser finds a touted light weight coach, the Clones won't be much of an appeal. KJ had the same problem and it only got slightly better when Angel was there. This isn't rocket science. That's why I don't think ISU will be in the conversation when it comes time for Ayala to make a choice. Kids notice these trends.

Did he AA? He might not next year either. 133 is still loaded. I don't understand the hype. He can beat a decent guy the first time they meet. But once he's scouted and you take away his throws... meh!

Same thing with the early hype on Parker. Until Dresser finds a touted light weight coach, the Clones won't be much of an appeal. KJ had the same problem and it only got slightly better when Angel was there. This isn't rocket science. That's why I don't think ISU will be in the conversation when it comes time for Ayala to make a choice. Kids notice these trends.
Don’t ever change Mitch, you magnificent pot stirring sonofabitch.

won what?
im simply pointing out that iowa had transfers in their line up that helped their point total at ncaa's, just like isu, and its silly to act like they didnt.

I don’t think Mitch said anything at all about Iowa in his post, it appears you brought it up

I don’t think Mitch said anything at all about Iowa in his post, it appears you brought it up

Oh course I brought it up, when some one is trying to talk about transfers and is seemingly ignoring the fact that Iowa had 2 transfers that we're AA's this year I felt it should be pointed out.
In fact how would of TB first few years as Iowa head coach gone without transfers?

Oh course I brought it up, when some one is trying to talk about transfers and is seemingly ignoring the fact that Iowa had 2 transfers that we're AA's this year I felt it should be pointed out.
In fact how would of TB first few years as Iowa head coach gone without transfers?

There is no doubt that Iowa has embraced the transfer system. Anyone saying otherwise is clueless. There is nothing wrong with Iowa or any other school looking at transfers.

There is no doubt that Iowa has embraced the transfer system. Anyone saying otherwise is clueless. There is nothing wrong with Iowa or any other school looking at transfers.

I agree 100%, but it seems that there are a lot of posters that have incredibly short/selective memories. They should stop worrying about other programs and start focusing on how IOWA is going to win another NCAA title.

Reactions: RandyTPB
I agree 100%, but it seems that there are a lot of posters that have incredibly short/selective memories. They should stop worrying about other programs and start focusing on how IOWA is going to win another NCAA title.
Is that gonna help? There is no amount of single minded focus a fan can have to make their team win. So how is not worrying about another program gonna help?

He’s 6’1/6’2. Height isn’t an issue

Reactions: 24 so far
I understand room guys but ISU is taking some guys that wouldn’t even start at the D2 level. I guess they are out of coaching jobs for family members. And u gotta love ISU fans talking smack in wrestling. Or actually any sport really. Well except cross country. Got us there. It is Pollard’s favorite sport. Well if you don’t include obsessing about Iowa and posting trolling billboards around the state as an AD. Not a sport but he is good at that as are ISU fans. Little brother gonna be little brother.

Because, of course, what message board posters are focusing on will have a direct impact on IOWA winning another NCAA title. Duh.

Reactions: RandyTPB
LOL at an ISU fan talking wrestling smack on an Iowa board. PSU is certainly above Iowa by a good amount but ISU isn't even in the same galaxy.

ISU is wearing black snd being coached by former Hawkeyes, so Dresser obviously is trying everything he can to model them after Iowa and into a winner. Sure they're still light years away. But I get their fans' excitement at sniffing relevancy for the first time in decades.

Is that gonna help? There is no amount of single minded focus a fan can have to make their team win. So how is not worrying about another program gonna help?

Because, of course, what message board posters are focusing on will have a direct impact on IOWA winning another NCAA title. Duh.

you guys might want to express these feelings to the new "inner circle message board". i would guess that they have the inside info to make you feel better about the future of the iowa program.

I guess I'm viewing transfers differently than others. But since Iowa's situation was brought up... Renteria and Lugo were brought in and both red shirted in their first year on campus. Schools like Minnesota and ISU need to bring in transfers to fill immediate holes. Both those programs ran kids off to create that
He’s 6’1/6’2. Height isn’t an issue
Rewatch his match against Cal Poly? and tell me he's big enough to handle the taller, lanky guys! He's not a big 197.

Reactions: Gobblin
Rewatch his match against Cal Poly? and tell me he's big enough to handle the taller, lanky guys! He's not a big 197.

He had work to do on bottom & strength to gain to be a national champ. He’s not short for 197, like you claimed before.

I guess I'm viewing transfers differently than others. But since Iowa's situation was brought up... Renteria and Lugo were brought in and both red shirted in their first year on campus. Schools like Minnesota and ISU need to bring in transfers to fill immediate holes. Both those programs ran kids off to create that

I don't think he lost that match because he's a little shorter. He isn't short for the weight either, IMHO.

I enjoy your ISU trolling but Iowa filled a huge hole at 133 with a transfer.

Trying to figure out who we ran off to make room for Miklus.
Running off scholly guys in Vega/Simmons/Storr/DiBlasi to make room for Miklus. While no one knows how much they were getting, they probably were getting something. Some of that $$$ went to Miklus in all probability. Doesn't matter the chronological order of when they left because it gave Dresser options.

Running off scholly guys in Vega/Simmons/Storr/DiBlasi to make room for Miklus. While no one knows how much they were getting, they probably were getting something. Some of that $$$ went to Miklus in all probability. Doesn't matter the chronological order of when they left because it gave Dresser options.
Wasn’t there a wrestler that decided to hang up his shoes before his eligibility expired? In that weight range?

Maybe I’m thinking Harrington shovmoved up to heavy, but wasn’t really a heavy??

Interesting that Vega quit school and sat out all last year and went to SDSU this Jan, but never wrestled a match. There might be more to that story as to why he quit.

Storr to bad, good kid. Wasn't meant to be with this staff, Same with DiBlasi.

Simmons is not wrestling anywhere either, neither is Marmolejo (sp??), so same as Vega. More the same as with Vega.

Options are a good thing. No use tying up money on guys that don't want to be there

Reactions: lookleft goright
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT