ADVERTISEMENT

It isn't a quarterback "controversy"

Most long-time Hawkeye football fans know about the blatant
stubbornness of Coach Ferentz concerning quarterbacks. It is
unfortunate that Cade McNamara is physically unfit for the job.
Sullivan deserves the opportunity to take over at quarterback.
He gives us more mobility and the ability to throw longer pass
patterns. I hope he does not enter the transfer portal after this
season. It would be a shame to see Sullivan leave.

It's borderline malpractice.

My TwT column this week:

I agree it's frustrating, but it can't be the case that Lester is jumping up and down saying "WE MUST SWITCH to Sullivan" can it?

I think its conceivable Cade may still be unanimously seen internally as our best chance to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkeyeShawn

I actually think Lester has some promise as O.C. and worry he may leave after fully experiencing Kirk’s handcuffs.

I agree it's frustrating, but it can't be the case that Lester is jumping up and down saying "WE MUST SWITCH to Sullivan" can it?

I think its conceivable Cade may still be unanimously seen as our best chance to win.
I don't think Lester, being in his first year, is in a position to make such demands yet. He isn't going to undermine the coach that took a chance on him.

I think Cade probably has the best leadership skills. I presume he often looks great in practice, knows the offense better than anyone else on that side of the ball and is respected and liked by his teammates.

But the reaility is he is not physically capable of doing the job Iowa needs done out of that position.

962dwj.jpg

"The most vexing thing about the coach’ quarterback change phobia is it undercuts one the most fundamental rules he applies to every other player on the field. That is, if you don’t take care of the ball, you see the bench. Unless, of course, you are the Chosen One under center.

A fumbling running back? Bench. A punt returner who muffs balls? Grab some pine. A starting quarterback that gives the ball directly to the defense three times in a row resulting in a blowout loss?

“He’s improving.”

You absolutely nailed it with this. Spot ****ing on.

I don't think Lester, being in his first year, is in a position to make such demands yet. He isn't going to undermine the coach that took a chance on him.

I think Cade probably has the best leadership skills. I presume he often looks great in practice, knows the offense better than anyone else on that side of the ball and is respected and liked by his teammates.

But the reaility is he is not physically capable of doing the job Iowa needs done out of that position.

So basically a repeat of last year.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
Hard to argue any of the points you made. As I watched the game when Kirk overruled the 4th and half yard at midfield call and punted I basically accepted he wasn’t trying to win he just was hoping not to get embarrassed.
I knew we were not trying to win when we went for the 51 yard FG into the wind on 4th and 3 or so. FGs were not going to win this game. They might with all the rest of the games on the schedule but not Saturday...

Totally agree. I just don't have confidence that Sullivan is the answer, and at this point we have a loss we knew was coming, and one we dropped, shouldn't have, and it wasn't totally on the offense (like so many have been in the past few years).

"The most vexing thing about the coach’ quarterback change phobia is it undercuts one the most fundamental rules he applies to every other player on the field. That is, if you don’t take care of the ball, you see the bench. Unless, of course, you are the Chosen One under center.

A fumbling running back? Bench. A punt returner who muffs balls? Grab some pine. A starting quarterback that gives the ball directly to the defense three times in a row resulting in a blowout loss?

“He’s improving.”

You absolutely nailed it with this. Spot ****ing on.
Personally I love having a QB that goes 8/9 for 85 yards in the first half, and finishes the game 12-27 with 128 yards.

• Wow
Reactions: McLovin32
Totally agree. I just don't have confidence that Sullivan is the answer, and at this point we have a loss we knew was coming, and one we dropped, shouldn't have, and it wasn't totally on the offense (like so many have been in the past few years).
At least with Sullivan you have mobility and the possibility of making a first down with a QB run. It also appears he has at least equal if not better arm strength than Cade. He also has started at QB in the Big 10.

There is literally no reason for not giving him at least equal reps other than KF's hatred of a QB controversy that I can see.

I was with you until you wrote this. We don't know how good he is yet so we don't know if we're really losing much.

At least with Sullivan you have mobility and the possibility of making a first down with a QB run. It also appears he has at least equal if not better arm strength than Cade. He also has started at QB in the Big 10.

There is literally no reason for not giving him at least equal reps other than KF's hatred of a QB controversy that I can see.
I'm not prepared to say he deserves equal reps, but what Id really like to see is a quicker hook with Cade so we could see Sullivan lead a full drive when the game is still in question.

This is one of the most poignant haikus I have ever read

Sad Vince Mcmahon GIF by namslam

But the one he missed may have gone for a TD to 21 and I think 3 of the 8 he completed went for no gain or minus yardage...
I was more impressed that he was able to escape the pocket and get the ball out.

The ball being 5 yards short didn't surprise me or anger me at all. It was expected TBH.

I think I liked last year better so far. Offense was funnier, defense seemingly better, and we had Tory Taylor. I appreciate Kaleb and running the ball effectively, so that's nice and all. However with the fight against apathy for Iowa FB and CFB in general, the memes and oddities of 2023, plus Tory, was more satisfying.
Eh, small sample size.

If not for a completely improbable 54-yard field goal kick from a true freshman in his first road game in an insanely hostile environment, Iowa is EXACTLY where everyone thought it would be at this point in the season.

Look like you did against Minnesota against Washington, get another conference win, and we could be back on track for a prety satisfying season.

Eh, small sample size.

If not for a completely improbable 54-yard field goal kick from a true freshman in his first road game in an insanely hostile environment, Iowa is EXACTLY where everyone thought it would be at this point in the season.

Look like you did against Minnesota against Washington, get another conference win, and we could be back on track for a prety satisfying season.

No doubt, certainly wasn't expecting a win at OSU, and no doubt the schedule still allows for a satisfactory season in terms of wins and losses. My comment was more so in terms of viewing interest/entertainment as opposed to just wins and losses.

2024's offense is marginally more entertaining to watch, defense is less entertaining, special teams also less. Another drubbing from a clearly superior team, offense although better than 2023, still looks just as pitiful at times (2nd half ISU, 1st half MN, all of OSU), but without the novelty and inconceivable oddities that 2023 had.

But as you said, plenty of time for 2024 to turn out differently than it has so far.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
No doubt, certainly wasn't expecting a win at OSU, and no doubt the schedule still allows for a satisfactory season in terms of wins and losses. My comment was more so in terms of viewing interest/entertainment as opposed to just wins and losses.

2024's offense is marginally more entertaining to watch, defense is less entertaining, special teams also less. Another drubbing from a clearly superior team, offense although better than 2023, still looks just as pitiful at times (2nd half ISU, 1st half MN, all of OSU), but without the novelty and inconceivable oddities that 2023 had.

But as you said, plenty of time for 2024 to turn out differently than it has so far.
I was massively NOT ENTERTAINED watching Deacon Hill flail and fail.

It was the 21st century version of a bear baiting.

I was massively NOT ENTERTAINED watching Deacon Hill flail and fail.

It was the 21st century version of a bear baiting.

IDK, I thought there was something somewhat special to it. Perhaps one of the worst quarterbacking efforts that has been observed in modern football, in part because any other quarterback who performed in a similar manner, wouldn't keep playing! And, we'd win a lot of those games!

Add in the Brian Ferentz angle, the multiple shutouts and how those contributed to the narrative, and all the bizarre stats, the effectiveness of the punting. We were interesting, not for all of the reasons a team typically wants to be interesting, but certainly unique.

That said, I do feel bad for Deacon, and Petras, their failures certainly aren't theirs alone.

Personally I love having a QB that goes 8/9 for 85 yards in the first half, and finishes the game 12-27 with 128 yards.

That's the hard part. I thought he managed well in the 1st half. The wheels just came off in the 2nd half. The most infuriating throw all day was on the opening drive. He had #21 running wide open and under threw him for a for sure TD. Then they missed a FG. 10-7 at half is what it should have been. Maybe 17-7 or 13-7 if we stay with the fake punt? The complexion of the game may change in the 2nd half if so

I think I liked last year better so far. Offense was funnier, defense seemingly better, and we had Tory Taylor. I appreciate Kaleb and running the ball effectively, so that's nice and all. However with the fight against apathy for Iowa FB and CFB in general, the memes and oddities of 2023, plus Tory, was more satisfying.
Dejean added a chance at a spark this team lacks.

Most Seminole football fans know about the blatant
stubbornness of Coach Norvell concerning quarterbacks. It is
unfortunate that DJU is physically unfit for the job.
Big Cock Brock deserves the opportunity to take over at quarterback.
season. It would be a shame to see Brock leave.

-FSU fans two weeks ago.

That's the hard part. I thought he managed well in the 1st half. The wheels just came off in the 2nd half. The most infuriating throw all day was on the opening drive. He had #21 running wide open and under threw him for a for sure TD. Then they missed a FG. 10-7 at half is what it should have been. Maybe 17-7 or 13-7 if we stay with the fake punt? The complexion of the game may change in the 2nd half if so

A lot of momentum was lost when KF punted after calling the time out when we originally got the 1st down. Then of course, the turnovers after that killed us, but OSU had two of their own in the first half. KF’s archaic offense and the rigid program culture doesn’t help when it comes to finding offensive skill players.

Iowa needs to be a run first option team with Sullivan. They won’t be until next year, but they should be starting with Washington. Ferentz is out of his mind here, but we all expected this from him. This is the man who thought Brian Ferentz was a good OC, and he would still have him in that saddle if not for a new, young AD with the balls to tell him no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT