ADVERTISEMENT

It's been too long.....long

They should have hired Pearl when they had the chance. Epic mistake by the administration.
Pearl had zero interest. He had a significantly better job at the time and currently does as well. The pool of candidates has been poor the last 2 times the job was open. Fran is by far the best coach of the bunch so fans better be careful what they wish for because Iowa is not an attractive job at all.

Pearl had zero interest. He had a significantly better job at the time and currently does as well. The pool of candidates has been poor the last 2 times the job was open. Fran is by far the best coach of the bunch so fans better be careful what they wish for because Iowa is not an attractive job at all.
I don't believe this. The best they could do, by far, was to hire a guy pushing 50 who was an assistant for around a decade and had never been a high-major HC? Who were the other applicants, Iowa HS coaches?

Reactions: Bee93
This will be Iowa under Fran, not great, not bad. Nothing will change. Clean program, players stay out of trouble. Probably what the University and the AD want, winning is not the top priority. With the amount of media money coming in, there might be less incentive to win at the highest level. Attendance may not matter going forward
Unfortunately true

Reactions: MikeyHawk
Iowa has had the same results, sometimes worse (reference the name redacted era) for the past 35ish years. Once George’s recruits left the building, Iowa has pretty much been a middle of the road, win one tournament game type program.

They’ve hired the up and comer with Alford. The hot COTY with (name redacted) and program rebuilder, but overall average coach with Fran. Who or what is the right answer?

I’m 48 so maybe I’ve grown numb(apathy)but I don’t think the higher ups would allow a hire that would take Iowa to the next level. I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with that strategy but it’s sometimes hard to watch other coaches roll around in the mud while Iowa is unwilling to even play in the grey areas.
100% … Kelvin Sampson is a great example. Houston took the risk and it’s paid off for them.

Gotcha posts? "Forget about anything past Friday in the big ten tournament" when less than 350 days ago Iowa played on Saturday. My memory spans more than a year sorry
You are truly an amazing historian and the ultimate Hawkeye fan.
I tip my cap to you good Sir. BTW.. How did we do in Frannys first (and probably last) Saturday BTT game with the National Player of the Year on our team?

OP, I hope you are not watching these great games and great coaching jobs the last couple games. You said you have moved on. So move on, don't be a fair weather fan. True hawk fans don't need ya.

This thread is not aging well.

Iowa is playing defense right now. And getting great effort. Iowa is peaking at the right time, and could be a dangerous team in the Big Dance.

Izzo last night said that Fran should be the Big Ten Coach of the Year.

Reactions: jimbob22 and PIEPI
We hated Izzo’s evaluation skills when he told us Lick was a deserving coach.

Enjoy lunch:
tqyCwW301AH13jbmUFwhu7N4gtyvBDHLIVTOWYl0rFc.jpg

OP, I hope you are not watching these great games and great coaching jobs the last couple games. You said you have moved on. So move on, don't be a fair weather fan. True hawk fans don't need ya.
Yes, I have, and I'm pleasantly surprised that they have come out with renewed energy, passion, and urgency after the disappointing Michigan loss.
Rebraca has up his game, Kris is playing with confidence and the whole team is embracing the concept of playing defense and if they can keep it up for the remaining season they just might prove the doubters wrong, including myself.

You and many posters like you change direction more often than the wind. I hope you aren't bipolar.

I will say a few things in reply:

1) I’m not a Fran fan and that’s not changing

2) I’m a Hawkeye, went to Iowa, so I want the team to win

3) If you’ve got things to say then say them. Don’t disappear after losses.

Reactions: BrewHawk
I will say a few things in reply:

1) I’m not a Fran fan and that’s not changing

2) I’m a Hawkeye, went to Iowa, so I want the team to win

3) If you’ve got things to say then say them. Don’t disappear after losses.
If you are referring to me by your comments, I don't do much different after losses than wins. I prefer to focus on the positives, unlike some who post. When the posting gets too negative, I try to avoid reacting for at least 24 hours so that I get some perspective. Not always successful but I try.
🙂

Reactions: chuck285
If you are referring to me by your comments, I don't do much different after losses than wins. I prefer to focus on the positives, unlike some who post. When the posting gets too negative, I try to avoid reacting for at least 24 hours so that I get some perspective. Not always successful but I try.
🙂

well you definitely have a problem with my views of the McCaffery family and you’ve followed me around and called me out several times. I’ll be here if you want to talk.

well you definitely have a problem with my views of the McCaffery family and you’ve followed me around and called me out several times. I’ll be here if you want to talk.
I disagree with some of what you say. Not the end of the world for either of us, nor does it preclude me pointing out that you flip flop based on the last game. Not my style.

Reactions: Pepperman
I disagree with some of what you say. Not the end of the world for either of us, nor does it preclude me pointing out that you flip flop based on the last game. Not my style.

where is the flip flop though? I admitted that the team’s apparent turnaround was not strictly due to playing poor competition? I give Fran credit for making changes which is his job? I’m just not sure I see the flip flop and since that’s the accusation I’d like to know more… I predicted a win against MSU maybe and you were surprised by the prediction?

the one thing I try not to do (and usually don’t after 21 years of being on this forum) is turn against fellow fans. I’m just not as good as you guys it would appear.

You always think people are following you around. When you say dumb shit, which you do frequently, expect to be mocked.

you actually called me out on the OFF TOPIC board for being a guy that claims Fran has never been past the second round.

yes, you did in fact chase me to another board to do that. And then you disappeared when I pointed out most of us still refer to the round of 64 as “first round”. So that’s all I’ve got to say about that.

you actually called me out on the OFF TOPIC board for being a guy that claims Fran has never been past the second round.

yes, you did in fact chase me to another board to do that. And then you disappeared when I pointed out most of us still refer to the round of 64 as “first round”. So that’s all I’ve got to say about that.
Don't care what board. And you still have it wrong. Your dumbass kept saying Fran has never made it past the first round. There is no "most of us" in that lingo. There's the first round & the second round. I understand you don't know much about basketball so I'm here to help.

Lol at followed you. Quit sucking your own dick, you're not that important.

Reactions: Pepperman
I admit after the Michigan loss, I wrote the team off. The OSU game surprised me in a good way. Fran did an excellent job with the lineup and the team played with grit. The follow up performance against MSU was equally impressive. Guard play is far from a strength, but if Perkins, Joe T, Ulis and Jbo can combine for 15-20 ppg, play good D and get some dribble penetration to set others up, it becomes less of a deficiency.

Iowa has the potential to be a match up problem for a lot of teams in the tournament if the supporting cast can contribute and some 3's fall. Just my two-cents, but this is as close to a Dr. Tom team Fran has had in 12 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT