ADVERTISEMENT

I've been at NPR 25 years - Here's how we lost people's trust

Fox isn't subsidized by taxpayers.
According to Alexa "NPR receives no direct funding from the federal government."

Maybe you're thinking of PBS. Easy mistake, since NPR is usually broadcast on PBS stations.

And, by the way, PBS is only partly funded by taxpayer money. It also receives commercial and nonprofit money.

Reactions: Huey Grey
According to Alexa "NPR receives no direct funding from the federal government."

Maybe you're thinking of PBS. Easy mistake, since NPR is usually broadcast on PBS stations.

And, by the way, PBS is only partly funded by taxpayer money. It also receives commercial and nonprofit money.

The government funds the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which in turn funnels money to PBS and NPR stations. They then buy content from PBS and NPR. Or they just play classical music and keep the money.

Reactions: Scruddy
He said NPR inserted themselves into the election process. Zero proof that stupid claim ever happened. Only one outfit was guilty of that.
Uri is a top-notch journalist who is trying waaaaay too hard to appear to be “unbiased”. And it quickly became apparent when he started off claiming a blatant falsehood. I’m not sure where his head’s at with this story.

He lost me here:

"But when the Mueller report found no credible evidence of collusion...."
Eh, I read and extract lots of useful information from articles where the author says something I don't agree with. In fact... that's most everything I read.

But anyway, the report didn't find evidence for supporting the conclusion that he concluded. So what's your qualm?

I still listen to NPR at times and think they have some good programming. Depends the program. (news hour, business, science... their little slice of life stories can be fun)

I think their time spent on progressive issues, and specifically, their political bend on social stuff was obviously catering to a certain crowd. You could see the dopey activist influence there. That I could do without.

He said NPR inserted themselves into the election process. Zero proof that stupid claim ever happened. Only one outfit was guilty of that.
Eh? I didn't say anything about that, unless you're extrapolating that from me sharing the story at all. That's wasn't a point of mine.

I did use the BLM quote because it showed the an explicitly activist news room.

As far as inserting themselves into the election process. I guess you could bang on them for holding back on the laptop story. But that was a lot of media sources as well.

But anyway, the report didn't find evidence for supporting the conclusion that he concluded. So what's your qualm?
That is incorrect. There was plenty of evidence. Mueller specifically testified that they didn’t use the word “collusion” because it has no criminal meaning. He stated they couldn't establish a criminal conspiracy, but it would NOT be accurate to suggest there was no evidence of coordination.

The evidence for that coordination is in the report. Manafort sharing internal, private, campaign data with Russian intelligence is enough to establish that.

Eh? I didn't say anything about that, unless you're extrapolating that from me sharing the story at all. That's wasn't a point of mine.

I did use the BLM quote because it showed the an explicitly activist news room.

As far as inserting themselves into the election process. I guess you could bang on them for holding back on the laptop story. But that was a lot of media sources as well.
My point is that NPR is actually one of the finest news sources we have. Fox is garbage right-wing propaganda. CNN and MSNBC are just there for the ratings. NPR isn't perfect. But they are light-years ahead of most news outlets in terms of actual reporting.

That is incorrect. There was plenty of evidence. Mueller specifically testified that they didn’t use the word “collusion” because it has no criminal meaning. He stated they couldn't establish a criminal conspiracy, but it would NOT be accurate to suggest there was no evidence of coordination.

The evidence for that coordination is in the report. Manafort sharing internal, private, campaign data with Russian intelligence is enough to establish that.
Ah. Media should have been talking about criminal conspiracy.

I still listen to NPR at times and think they have some good programming. Depends the program. (news hour, business, science... their little slice of life stories can be fun)

I think their time spent on progressive issues, and specifically, their political bend on social stuff was obviously catering to a certain crowd. You could see the dopey activist influence there. That I could do without.

Science Friday is great.

I like MarketPlace.

Freakonomics is good, but never on when I'm listening.

But the regular news shows absolutely concentrate on lefty issues. Race, LGBTQ, abortion, climate change, the Palestinians, hating on Trump, etc.

The best shows are gone: Car Talk, Prairie Home Companion, On Point isn't the same without Tom Ashbrook, and on and on....

Ah. Media should have been talking about criminal conspiracy.
And they should have robustly investigated the collusion angle. Hell, Manafort had been working with the Russians for a decade and had a hand in helping to elect a Russian puppet in Ukraine. Then, unbidden and out of the blue, he shows up at the Trump campaign and offers to work for free. Nothing fishy about that at all…amirite?

My point is that NPR is actually one of the finest news sources we have. Fox is garbage right-wing propaganda. CNN and MSNBC are just there for the ratings. NPR isn't perfect. But they are light-years ahead of most news outlets in terms of actual reporting.
Epoch times > zero hedge > NPR

• Haha
Reactions: cigaretteman
Yeah, I wasn't comparing the two at that level. Sure, their formatting, (general) focus, staffing, are all higher quality. Totally a different beast than the politics-as-entertainment media you cited.

You could say the same about the NYT, The Atlantic, etc... obviously a step above.

Which is part of the reason I give them so much shit for getting pulled into political activism and catering to specific crowd. We need sources that are completely resistant. But as we headed into the era of Trump, everything became political, and often in a stupid way. (broadly speaking) Nobody was left unaffected.

It is neutral. It's just that the US has become so far right that reporting on anything beyond border invasions, trans people, and how evil Biden is, is somehow seen as left now.
THAT I will not give you. At all. The NPR guy that wrote the danged article pointed out why not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bierhalter
Rachel Maddow is still on TV.

She spouted Covid misinformation conspiracy theories and they stayed on social media for years.

“Getting the vaccine will prevent Covid infection.” That was a lie.

“Getting the vaccine will prevent spreading the virus.” That was a lie.

She’s a tin foil hat leftist conspiracy spreader.
You've disintegrated to the point that you're now repeating bullshit attacks on Rachel Maddow?

As an Elon Fanboy you should probably be sitting this thread out anyway. Although I guess that hasn't stopped the rest of the consumers of garbage rightwing media from commenting in this thread.

And they should have robustly investigated the collusion angle. Hell, Manafort had been working with the Russians for a decade and had a hand in helping to elect a Russian puppet in Ukraine. Then, unbidden and out of the blue, he shows up at the Trump campaign and offers to work for free. Nothing fishy about that at all…amirite?
I don't think there is anything wrong with digging into this and seeing where it leads. Obviously Manafort was a dirty guy. It seems like the media misled the public here by implying that there would be much more than what was actually found. At some point you have to find something. They built up the Mueller investigation in a way it shouldn't have been.

i still have npr as one of the presets in my car and will every now and then hit that button. it's the only news type station i check in the car but almost always delivers cringeworthy content within seconds. sad thing is npr used to be (years ago) so respectable.

Last edited:
Or you're just a dyed in the wool partisan like we have on the right. Excuse anything your team does. (Huey too)
I am a dyed in the wool partisan, but you are too. What does that even have to do with this discussion?

Do you disagree that the guy is just mouthing the stereotypical standard rightwing critique of anything that isn't rightwing media going back the last 30 plus years? There is nothing original in what this guy is saying, and this type of guy is always a bad faith gaslighting bullshitter who will claim it's just in the last few years that the "change" or whatever the hell happened. It's the standard variation of the "I didn't leave the Democrat party, the Democrat party left me" schtick. It's bullshit.

I have my own criticisms of NPR, but the idea that their emphasis or concentration or whatever has changed in the last few years is nonsense. Just the same old rightwing "working the refs", this time with the new wingnut vocabulary references to "woke" and whatever other catch words that are fashionable in conservative circles now.

This guy has his entree into the wingnut welfare circuit and will probably make a nice living out of this piece. If you're a grifter with no morals or conscience there is a lot of money to be made these days playing to the Cons.

News Nation beats them all

Note: NPR does not receive any direct funding from the U.S. government, but it does get some funding in the form of dues from local member stations. And in many cases, those member stations receive federal funds from grants provided by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). In 2021 alone, CPB appropriated nearly $70 million in grants via member stations.

Yes I do for different perspectives. You seem threatened by ideas not your own. Im guess you dont listen.

Im a pro life conservative who isnt threatened by dialog and diferrences. I would never votevfor Trump and once voted for a dem...Harold Volmer who was a Dexiecrat

I listen to NPR often. 640AM as well as the app.
And I don't care about your stance on abortion.

One, prove that NPR is subsidized by taxpayers. And two, what does this have to do with the absurd claim that NPR somehow actively interfered with the election?

Note: NPR does not receive any direct funding from the U.S. government, but it does get some funding in the form of dues from local member stations. And in many cases, those member stations receive federal funds from grants provided by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). In 2021 alone, CPB appropriated nearly $70 million in grants via member stations.

perhaps npr should receive funding from the taxpayer coz right now they aren't engaged in proper journalism as much as doing someone's bidding. a US gov mouthpiece would be preferable to mercenary work

The words “no direct funding” are the deception as this phrasing still allows “indirect funding” from the Federal government.

They’ve had decades to learn how to distort the truth and conceal their funding sources.

Some people are dumb enough to believe their lies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT