ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Campbell commits to the Hawks Saturday March 31

Why is it every time a recruit turns Iowa down some knuckle head says " We don't need him anyway. Seems to me for Iowa there's not that many fish in the pond so why recruit him if he's not needed?
Isn't that part of what would make them identifiable as a knuckle head?

The truth of the matter is that no program absolutely "needs" any one given recruit. Should the recruit be an in-state guy ... then it's preferred if a program can retain their best in-state talent. Of course, that is also predicated upon the kid being a good fit for the program.

In no uncertain terms I'll happily claim that Iowa doesn't need Campbell or Duggan (among others) ... however, I'd certainly be happy if the Hawks could land every in-state guy who they want. Similarly, Iowa doesn't "need" Miller, Endres, and Fenske .... but I'm definitely very excited that they want to be Hawks!

Why is it every time a recruit turns Iowa down some knuckle head says " We don't need him anyway. Seems to me for Iowa there's not that many fish in the pond so why recruit him if he's not needed?

It's kind of an on going joke half the time here especially if someone says it before kid even made his decision.

I am not a knuckle head and imho we have to many linebackers. Use this scholly for a wr imho. Why is it if you dont follow the company line somebody has to blow off almost 100 peecent of the time. I will admit to being a contrarian though. Without some contratrian thinkers you would not even have the good old usa to live in. Knucklehead.

Last edited:
I am not a knuckle head and imho we have to many linebackers. Use this scholly for a wr imho. Why is it if you dont follow the company line somebody has to blow off almost 100 peecent of the time. I will admit to being a contrarian though. Without some contratrian thinkers you would not even have the good old usa to live in. Knucklehead.
Iowa just graduated 4 LBs. We're set to graduate 2 more after the '18 season and Wallace is talking about the need and/or desire to rotate more guys in at LB. If you ask me ... that seems like the age old strategy of educators to dangle out a carrot to try to keep the guys motivated and engaged. A complementary inference is that he must be concerned about losing some guys. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks suffer some attrition at LB if a couple guys take a clear lead in the LB competition. Of course, a counter strategy by Wallace could be to keep the LB situation open an unsettled for as long as possible.

Given the above considerations, I'd expect the Hawks to replace the 2 SRs, at the very least.

Reactions: bojihawk44
I am sure we will have attrition at linebacker. When i counted things up awhile back we had like 21 people assigned as linebackers and we are thinking about using a safety as a linebacker. We all know we struggle at getting people to pan out at WR. So the numbers at LB are either overkill or we have recruited very poorly at LB. And i dont think that is the case. I think the linebackers will be fine by game 4 or 5. Imho. I m sure this is being brought up by the offensive coaches. while we do our name calling thing here. But of course they are pros enough i am sure not to start name calling lol.

Last edited:
Of course i forget we are supposed to love 8-4 regular seasons with one microburst up swing every five years do to below average performing offense. Go iowa. i predict 8-4 2018. Hopefully ten wins in 2019. With okeefe back on staff i think we will see year to year improvement of our quarterbacks. By the way i hope my isu sources are wrong since our staff has offered.

Last edited:
Doesn't mean they made the wrong decision.
Replays showed they very clearly did make the wrong decision when they picked up the flags. The second one, a pass interference call against the guy guarding Lazard, wasn't even debatable, and they gave no reason for negating the penalty. That would have been the ball game.

Well, I wasn't going to explain this, but ...... to a great many Iowans, going to Iowa City amounts to a descent.
I know u r being sarcastic, but no sane person would think Ames is better/nicer than Iowa City area. I grew up in western Iowa, but readily admit that eastern Iowa is prettier than western part of state.

Reactions: David1979
I know u r being sarcastic, but no sane person would think Ames is better/nicer than Iowa City area. I grew up in western Iowa, but readily admit that eastern Iowa is prettier than western part of state.

tip of the iceberg

Of course i forget we are supposed to love 8-4 regular seasons with one microburst up swing every five years do to below average performing offense. Go iowa. i predict 8-4 2018. Hopefully ten wins in 2019. With okeefe back on staff i think we will see year to year improvement of our quarterbacks. By the way i hope my isu sources are wrong since our staff has offered.
I'd agree that Iowa has had issues with our WR coaches in the past and that had impacted player development to some extent. Campbell obviously did a solid job with DJK and McNutt .... but his strategy was essentially to groom a "top guy" to get the lion's share of the receptions ... and then the #3 and lower WRs would rarely get looks and they'd have to battle their way up by first mastering blocking and the like. This contrasted O'Keefe's preference of pragmatically distributing the ball to whichever guy was open. All the above wasn't really a big deal though compared to how Campbell let his WRs get away with more stuff compared to other position units ... they were often a little "softer" compared to the Hawks usual blue-collar "edge." This latter difference in treatment actually DID lead to some resentment on the squad and contributed to some locker-room "issues."

Then there was Kennedy. I don't wholly know what the issue was there. The WRs performed pretty well in '15 ... but otherwise the group was pretty rife with inconsistency. Even when the personnel group seemed pretty loaded on paper in '14 ... that didn't translate to production on the field. It also led to guys like Powell and Willies complaining about WR utilization. The fact that sentiments like that can get cultivated within the room of a particular position group doesn't reflect well upon Kennedy.

I know I'm a homer ... but given that Kelton Copeland is one of Jerry Kill's guys ... you know that he must be a guy who preaches the mantra of improvement and toughness. Given his blue-collar coaching background ... he's one of the best WR coach fits that Iowa has had since Erb. Lastly, given what Copeland preaches to his guys about how they are what their film says they are ... it genuinely sounds like some accountability has finally landed in the WR room. Also, given Copeland's varied background of growing up in Miami but having also spent a bunch of time in the rural Midwest (in Kansas) ... and then also having spent a lot of time around Chicago and the Kansas City area ... I think that he's really going to be capable of relating to young men from all sorts of different geographies. The ability to connect with the players is central to earning their respect and getting them to make the strides necessary to develop.

I don't know what suggests to you that we Iowa fans "love" 8-4 seasons. That's not really the point of fandom, is it? We love the team ... love the program ... warts and all! We hope for the best ... we WANT them to go undefeated every season. We're disappointed through every loss. We're ecstatic with the thrill of every victory. Given these considerations - I fail to see your point? Are you simply suggesting that Iowa is more in need of WR talent than LB talent? Are you then associating 8-4 seasons with Iowa not landing more talent at WR? If this is the case, then you're not necessarily giving Copeland much time to develop his guys? Given what we had seen from Smith-Marsette as a TR FR ... I'm not going to be throwing our WRs under the bus (yet).

Interesting comments in the Press Citizen:

But, yes, the choice has been made. Campbell said he has already committed to a school, that he'll announce it this Saturday and that one of the biggest factors for his choice was the school's weight-training program. On paper, that would seem to favor Iowa.
I'll rehash what Campbell told me about each of his final three schools' weight-training programs:

On Iowa, he said: "Obviously, (strength coach Chris) Doyle is at Iowa — he's one of the best in the nation. That just sits right there."

On Iowa State: "I like their weight program. I haven't talked to the weight coaches as much. But (head coach Matt) Campbell said that everyone is going to say they have the best weight program in the country. So, he was just saying (Iowa State) will develop (me). Obviously, that shows in how they developed Joel Lanning from quarterback to linebacker."

On Minnesota: "I really like (Minnesota strength coach) Dan Nichol. He was with coach Doyle (interned with him at Iowa in 2002), that's what I understand. He studied under him and then he went to University of Minnesota. But I really like him. He’s a stand-up guy. He expects 120 percent every time you walk into that weight room."

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...tate-priority-jack-campbell-commit/462886002/

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Replays showed they very clearly did make the wrong decision when they picked up the flags. The second one, a pass interference call against the guy guarding Lazard, wasn't even debatable, and they gave no reason for negating the penalty. That would have been the ball game.

Holy crap ISU fans are still crying about refs and KSU game. Unreal. Do you count that as a win?

"But (head coach Matt) Campbell said that everyone is going to say they have the best weight program in the country. So, he was just saying (Iowa State) will develop (me)."

I would be surprised if Doyle has ever told a recruit that they have the "best" weight room in the country. Results speak for themselves. Campbell's comments sound like someone trying to hide that weakness as compared to this competition.

Sounds like a talented kid. Hope the Hawks get him.

Still whining about the refs. Both plays were called correctly. But if you whine enough, maybe they can still change them?

Ever heard their basketball fans?

Yeah, just say 'Kansas' to them and they do this...

giphy.gif

Still whining about the refs. Both plays were called correctly. But if you whine enough, maybe they can still change them?

Wrong, isu got reamed in that game, i would still be biotching too. As would be any hawk fan if iowa got screwed like they did in that game.

Would you go over to the ISU board and bitch about it there? I don't understand Lone's need to bitch about it on this board in a thread about a potential recruit.

I am sure you would be. I am a hawk fan and I would not still be whining. Others might.
as bad a call/ no call as the Penn St guy hurdling the snapper on the FG attempt they blocked? Put those 3 points on the board and Penn St is going for 2 just to tie .

Reactions: cmhawks99
as bad a call/ no call as the Penn St guy hurdling the snapper on the FG attempt they blocked? Put those 3 points on the board and Penn St is going for 2 just to tie .
plus the play was a bad call anyway, they should have run the ball, made them use their last time out because that timeout eventually cost them the game...chew on that a while, and maybe led to the OC going to the pros...?

Dick. I see your point. My father played at Iowa and also played college athletics. I was always taught not to blame a loss on anyone but yourself. If 1 or 2 bad calls causes you to lose, then you should not have put yourself in that position in the first place.

Now. Does whining make you feel better? Maybe. But it sure does not change things. And how about a clown fan coming onto this board and crying over something that happened months ago. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

A few years back, Venus Williams lost a match that was part in due to a scoring error. In her press conference afterwards she people are human and make mistakes and that she should not have let that scoring error help determine the match in the first place. Pure sportsmanship and class.

That was the wholel point. Both calls were made correctly. Then the head official picked up the flags.

Dick. I see your point. My father played at Iowa and also played college athletics. I was always taught not to blame a loss on anyone but yourself. If 1 or 2 bad calls causes you to lose, then you should not have put yourself in that position in the first place.

Now. Does whining make you feel better? Maybe. But it sure does not change things. And how about a clown fan coming onto this board and crying over something that happened months ago. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

A few years back, Venus Williams lost a match that was part in due to a scoring error. In her press conference afterwards she people are human and make mistakes and that she should not have let that scoring error help determine the match in the first place. Pure sportsmanship and class.
not blaming Iowa's loss on that no call I was just saying every team in every game gets screwed with at least one horrible call, that's football. lol

"But (head coach Matt) Campbell said that everyone is going to say they have the best weight program in the country. So, he was just saying (Iowa State) will develop (me)."

I would be surprised if Doyle has ever told a recruit that they have the "best" weight room in the country. Results speak for themselves. Campbell's comments sound like someone trying to hide that weakness as compared to this competition.

Sounds like a talented kid. Hope the Hawks get him.

I've been impressed by Campbell's commitment to building the foundations of his program. He has built with an improved defense and had a pasable OL last year after most thought they would be awful there. But yeah, if you have to say that others are going to say you have the best weight program in the country, then you don't have it yet. Pretty much every single P5 school has a good to very good strength and conditioning program today. There are differences in programs (see Nebraska last year) but every school has access to money to fund facilities/equipment, every school pays strength coaches well, every school has the latest and greatest stuff. Campbell will have the opportunity to develop wherever he goes. Iowa doesn't take a backseat to anyone in player development, kudos to KF for making it a priority and to Doyle for always pushing for the next thing. He is largely why Iowa is able to punch above its recruiting rankings.

I'd agree that Iowa has had issues with our WR coaches in the past and that had impacted player development to some extent. Campbell obviously did a solid job with DJK and McNutt .... but his strategy was essentially to groom a "top guy" to get the lion's share of the receptions ... and then the #3 and lower WRs would rarely get looks and they'd have to battle their way up by first mastering blocking and the like. This contrasted O'Keefe's preference of pragmatically distributing the ball to whichever guy was open. All the above wasn't really a big deal though compared to how Campbell let his WRs get away with more stuff compared to other position units ... they were often a little "softer" compared to the Hawks usual blue-collar "edge." This latter difference in treatment actually DID lead to some resentment on the squad and contributed to some locker-room "issues."

Then there was Kennedy. I don't wholly know what the issue was there. The WRs performed pretty well in '15 ... but otherwise the group was pretty rife with inconsistency. Even when the personnel group seemed pretty loaded on paper in '14 ... that didn't translate to production on the field. It also led to guys like Powell and Willies complaining about WR utilization. The fact that sentiments like that can get cultivated within the room of a particular position group doesn't reflect well upon Kennedy.

I know I'm a homer ... but given that Kelton Copeland is one of Jerry Kill's guys ... you know that he must be a guy who preaches the mantra of improvement and toughness. Given his blue-collar coaching background ... he's one of the best WR coach fits that Iowa has had since Erb. Lastly, given what Copeland preaches to his guys about how they are what their film says they are ... it genuinely sounds like some accountability has finally landed in the WR room. Also, given Copeland's varied background of growing up in Miami but having also spent a bunch of time in the rural Midwest (in Kansas) ... and then also having spent a lot of time around Chicago and the Kansas City area ... I think that he's really going to be capable of relating to young men from all sorts of different geographies. The ability to connect with the players is central to earning their respect and getting them to make the strides necessary to develop.

I don't know what suggests to you that we Iowa fans "love" 8-4 seasons. That's not really the point of fandom, is it? We love the team ... love the program ... warts and all! We hope for the best ... we WANT them to go undefeated every season. We're disappointed through every loss. We're ecstatic with the thrill of every victory. Given these considerations - I fail to see your point? Are you simply suggesting that Iowa is more in need of WR talent than LB talent? Are you then associating 8-4 seasons with Iowa not landing more talent at WR? If this is the case, then you're not necessarily giving Copeland much time to develop his guys? Given what we had seen from Smith-Marsette as a TR FR ... I'm not going to be throwing our WRs under the bus (yet).
Thanks for the great info. I have to admit that i was spoiled by hayden fry. And i have ferentz fatigue. The reason i think we have so many misses at WR is because it is hard to recruit wide recievers at iowa because of our style of offense. Sadly i dont love the team anymore. But i do still find it interesting. So my point is since we have a much lower sucess rate at WR then we do at linebacker i would like to see more schollies at WR and few less at linebacker. We have to many drops at WR and the slot. Find people that can catch the rock please. Its just my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info. I have to admit that i was spoiled by hayden fry. And i have ferentz fatigue. The reason i think we have so many misses at WR is because it is hard to recruit wide recievers at iowa because of our style of offense. Or maybe i should i have gary barts fatigue.
I understand the Ferentz fatigue to some extent. The sustained drought we've had at WR certainly has made it harder to pull in elite-level WRs. Furthermore, when we've managed to get some promising looking guys ... we've seemingly had trouble retaining them (because they weren't necessarily "fits" for the program in terms of toughness). The last time we had a WR who really was a true standout was McNutt ... and that was 7 years ago. Before him was our last standout Solomon or Mo Brown?

I think that it's an easy out to attribute the drought to our style of play ... but I'm not convinced that that assessment is accurate. Michigan, Michigan State, and Alabama all traditionally have been executing pro-happy offenses ... and each regularly produce high caliber WRs. Even recently, Wisconsin has managed to get some impressive young WRs too ... and they're traditionally even more run-happy than we are.

Obviously, the hope of many fans is that if we can land a new coach who implements more of a basketball on grass style of offense (perhaps reminding us more of the Fry-days) ... then maybe our style of play will help us to lure in more high caliber skill players on O. Hope can certainly be a strong selling point.

However, I'd then point to Iowa's more recent success recruiting DBs ... and suggest that nothing about that success was automatic. Phil had much more luck early on developing elite-caliber safeties in his earlier tenure. It wasn't until '08 or '09 that Iowa started producing NFL corners ... and, even then, many were projected more as safeties.

The point of this example is that maybe the Hawks still have a chance to develop high-level WRs ... at least if the position coach can help get the job done. I have my fingers crossed as it relates to Copeland. At least we know that O'Keefe is pretty darn solid at developing QBs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT