ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Campbell commits to the Hawks Saturday March 31

You make excellent points ghost. Thanks for the info on our new WR coach i did not know he was a jerry kill guy. I liked jerry. That and the return of kok gives me some hope for our offense. The whole greg davis thing was just not a match with kirk.

Dick. I see your point. My father played at Iowa and also played college athletics. I was always taught not to blame a loss on anyone but yourself. If 1 or 2 bad calls causes you to lose, then you should not have put yourself in that position in the first place.

Now. Does whining make you feel better? Maybe. But it sure does not change things. And how about a clown fan coming onto this board and crying over something that happened months ago. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

A few years back, Venus Williams lost a match that was part in due to a scoring error. In her press conference afterwards she people are human and make mistakes and that she should not have let that scoring error help determine the match in the first place. Pure sportsmanship and class.
Wow, thats interesting, and good for Venus. I doubt that Serena would have been as gracious, given what I've seen in some of her press conferences. :oops:

Reactions: RogerKint
You make excellent points ghost. Thanks for the info on our new WR coach i did not know he was a jerry kill guy. I liked jerry. That and the return of kok gives me some hope for our offense. The whole greg davis thing was just not a match with kirk.
I honestly believe that Kennedy was a bigger problem than Greg. However, I personally prefer how O'Keefe's O uses the TE more than Greg's O. I do like how the lateral passing game really set up big gains with our inside zone. Those passes outside the hashes but more pressure on the defense on the edges ... and that forced defenses to be spread out their defenders more ... thereby opening up some running opportunities. Of course, the fact that we didn't attack the field laterally as often or over the middle as often led to other susceptibilities of our O.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Great info ghost i did not care for kennedy either. By the way welcome jack campbell to the hawkeye fold. My sources were wrong. So you have either played or coached a lot.

Last edited:
I honestly believe that Kennedy was a bigger problem than Greg. However, I personally prefer how O'Keefe's O uses the TE more than Greg's O. I do like how the lateral passing game really set up big gains with our inside zone. Those passes outside the hashes but more pressure on the defense on the edges ... and that forced defenses to be spread out their defenders more ... thereby opening up some running opportunities. Of course, the fact that we didn't attack the field laterally as often or over the middle as often led to other susceptibilities of our O.
I did notice this past season the disappearance of long td runs. Good explanation for why. How can we get back to big gainers in the run game? or will it be 10-20 yd runs on top of each other?

I did notice this past season the disappearance of long td runs. Good explanation for why. How can we get back to big gainers in the run game? or will it be 10-20 yd runs on top of each other?

A reliable vertical passing attack keeps the box more open and allows rb to get into the 2nd level more often would be my work around.

If you have more defenders between the hashes, then that can open up the edges of the field. That's where our outside zones could potentially be more effective. However, we had pretty inexperienced blockers on the edges between Fant, Hockenson, Wirfs, and Jackson ... a group comprised of 1 true sophomore, 2 redshirt freshmen, and 1 true freshman. As the blockers on the edge become more proficient run-blockers - then the outside zone will again see some success. Also, jet-sweeps and end-arounds have the potential for success too .... we had a number of those set up last season where a big gain would have been made had just one block not been missed.

Also, as WDDT correctly pointed out, the effective threat of the play-action pass ... particularly with the deep ball, that can impact the depths of the different levels of defenders. If DBs are afraid of the play-action ball ... they're less apt to cheat. While that potentially takes away our deep ball ... it opens up other opportunities with our running game and the intermediate-deep routes of our TEs.

Also, we could also see Brian have the O still attack the edges ... however, he simply won't do it at the expense of taking away all the stuff between the hashes. Michigan State has been attacking the edges for years with their pro-style O ... and a big part of that is to help open up their interior running game.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Also, we could also see Brian have the O still attack the edges ... however, he simply won't do it at the expense of taking away all the stuff between the hashes. Michigan State has been attacking the edges for years with their pro-style O ... and a big part of that is to help open up their interior running game.
Alright, the vertical passing/play action/Air Coryell stuff makes sense. So does the Gred Davis/Mich St. style edge attack to open up the inside run. A healthy mix here would make our Offense pretty unstoppable. I'd like to see them put the whole package together. No more anemic Offense!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT