ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Campbell disappointed with boos directed at Iowa offense: ‘They’re more than football players’

I meant to add that point... It is a huge negative for recruiting. What positive effect for recruiting could there possibly be to booing players???
I'll hang up and listen...
You think they give a shit about the boos after watching that offense, and daddy and boy wonder standing on the sidelines with blank stares on their faces? An offensive recruit would be crazy to come here honestly.

I have a feeling that based on Jack’s on field play, his actions/work off the field, and now his staunch defending of his hard working teammates, no matter the results, he raises the level of expectation and commitment from every single player on the team. 100% a “we” guy and not a “me” guy. Super impressed and we are lucky to have him for reasons beyond his play performance! I see him as a very positive, galvanizing force.

To that end, he’s doing everything 100% correctly here. It’s the coaches that control who plays and it’s their job to fix the offensive mess.

I have a feeling that based on Jack’s on field play, his actions/work off the field, and now his staunch defending of his hard working teammates, no matter the results, he raises the level of expectation and commitment from every single player on the team. 100% a “we” guy and not a “me” guy. Super impressed and we are lucky to have him for reasons beyond his play performance! I see him as a very positive, galvanizing force.

To that end, he’s doing everything 100% correctly here. It’s the coaches that control who plays and it’s their job to fix the offensive mess.

Campbell will have a portrait in the football center this time next year. Count on it.

I meant to add that point... It is a huge negative for recruiting. What positive effect for recruiting could there possibly be to booing players???
What positive effect did watching our offense have on said recruits?

Reactions: blhawk
Gotta love Jack for sticking up for his team mates but Nahhhhhhh son.. you saw the same offensive crime we all saw.. Sorry it’s like that young man but that’s boo worthy!
Hopefully he says what he says to the media, then goes into then locker room and tells the 9ffense to get their shite together or just let defense play both ways.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
Look, it's easy to disagree with what Jack Campbell is saying. But, calling him out on it isn't right. He's doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing with his statement. Would any of you prefer that he'd called out the coaches? Called out the offense? Called out his QB? Think for a second. What would that lead to in the locker room? This is a TEAM. And he's seeing to that. Respect him.

Players want a passionate fan base. it sure wouldn't stop me or anyone else I know from playing there.

Reactions: mikesright
Booing is how the fans send a deaf Captain Kirk a message. He certainly doesn't get it by reading message boards.

Boos mean nothing in a full capacity stadium. Absolutely nothing. The entire season is sold out. If you want to change things, don't attend. Booing only hurts everyone on the Iowa sideline. Every single coach and player. It's lame and it's cowardice.

Reactions: Section25
Jack Campbell wants what's best for the team. Iowa fans want what's best for the team

What's best for the team (at the moment) is for Iowa fans to keep a little enthusiasm and the players and coaches to put in the effort and make the right adjustments as best as possible. Let's see what next weekend brings us.

Reactions: Ree4
Let's be real - Boo birds in Kinnick is a pretty rare thing. I mean things have to be REALLY, REALLY bad. Unfortunately, on the offensive side of the ball, they most certainly are. Booing has been going on forever in sports, and Hawkeye fans are passionate. That game Saturday was definitely "boo-worthy." The crowd did their part on the positive side also with disrupting the other team's offense. The Hawkeyes are going to get terrific support from their fan base; that has been shown through the years; but they are not above criticism, and that is the only way a crowd can voice their displeasure. Team has to realize that they get the bad with the good.

Boos mean nothing in a full capacity stadium. Absolutely nothing. The entire season is sold out. If you want to change things, don't attend. Booing only hurts everyone on the Iowa sideline. Every single coach and player. It's lame and it's cowardice.
I'll disagree. The boos send a message loud and clear that they do not like what is being done. Changes will have to be made or the attendance and enthusiasm will drop significantly. It won't happen instantly but will happen.

I'll disagree. The boos send a message loud and clear that they do not like what is being done. Changes will have to be made or the attendance and enthusiasm will drop significantly. It won't happen instantly but will happen.

Attendance is the key. It's been pretty damn consistent during Ferentz's tenure. That's all that matters.

Attendance is the key. It's been pretty damn consistent during Ferentz's tenure. That's all that matters.
When the fans start getting pissed off because the product is going down the toilet bowl, fans will stop supporting it. Yes, it is sold out this year. Next year will be the telling story.

Reactions: NAVO
I do not care how bad the play is, I will NEVER boo my own team. It is pathetic as a fan to do so... There is Zero to be gained by booing your own team. Zero benefits. The negativity will only do more harm than good... But some are just not smart enough to realize that.

I have always been that way by not booing players. I have booed the officials and I have booed some dirty play a few times by opponents. And it is a good sign that I cannot remember an Iowa player doing something dirty in the 200+ games I saw at Kinnick.

The players are young men trying to do their best and they are not in a life and death, profit or loss type job so I do not boo them. I sure can say I yell that they goofed up and will say they didnt play well at times.

• Haha
Reactions: Kurt Warner
When the fans start getting pissed off because the product is going down the toilet bowl, fans will stop supporting it. Yes, it is sold out this year. Next year will be the telling story.
Are you deaf to history? How many times have we heard this tale during Ferentz's tenure? He's still here.

Are you deaf to history? How many times have we heard this tale during Ferentz's tenure? He's still here.
You must either be a new fan or you have a short memory. There have been stretches of poor performance that resulted in poor attendance. Here is a piece from Hawkeyesports -

Iowa draws sellout crowds for a majority of all home games, including 74 of the last 113 games over the last 18 seasons (not including 2020 due to pandemic). Iowa had a sellout streak of 36 straight games snapped in its 2008 home finale.

Let's be real - Boo birds in Kinnick is a pretty rare thing. I mean things have to be REALLY, REALLY bad. Unfortunately, on the offensive side of the ball, they most certainly are. Booing has been going on forever in sports, and Hawkeye fans are passionate. That game Saturday was definitely "boo-worthy." The crowd did their part on the positive side also with disrupting the other team's offense. The Hawkeyes are going to get terrific support from their fan base; that has been shown through the years; but they are not above criticism, and that is the only way a crowd can voice their displeasure. Team has to realize that they get the bad with the good.

This. Fans suffered through this offense most of last season and still gave the offense the first half to do SOMETHING..

Fan were fed BS about improvements all off-season only to watch an offense than looks like the walked back from the bowl game and arrived just in time to play. ZERO improvement from last year.

The entire student section was chanting "we want Alex" at one point. Could be CLEARLY heard from the south end zone. Once again... I think they didn't do this until the 2nd half, when every coach in America would have tried a different QB.

I get Campbell defending his teammates, but guarantee he also says WTF about our offense.

When Nebraska fans are moaning about their teams play and conclude with Iowa is probably the only team they beat the rest of the way it gets me fired up.

Booing is not the answer, but seeing the improvement we make by the end of the year will reflect on the coaching . It’s concerning when we hear great things about the improvements made and get surprised by the offensive team we saw Saturday. I’d hope they can tell the difference.

Reactions: ClarindaA's

Well said.....

Campbell is doing Leader stuff there I get it , I understand and give Him respect for supporting His Teammates, that is a good thing but that entire Team knows if the Offense looks like Week 1 and ISU is beating Iowa the boos will be out hard and they will be targeted , just reality . I hope Fans are not given cause Saturday in a perfect World.

Campbell is doing Leader stuff there I get it , I understand and give Him respect for supporting His Teammates, that is a good thing but that entire Team knows if the Offense looks like Week 1 and ISU is beating Iowa the boos will be out hard and they will be targeted , just reality . I hope Fans are not given cause Saturday in a perfect World.
Wow quite the change since 1:52 today… it’s a lot harder to lead than type on a keyboard or boo anonymously from the stands

Wow quite the change since 1:52 today… it’s a lot harder to lead than type on a keyboard or boo anonymously from the stands
sometimes it is wise to watch something twice and try to see if there is another angle, No problem acknowledging that in this case, my overall outlook is still in the same general scope but I can see where and why he was speaking in this narrative to the Press. He is a great Player and looks to be taking Leadership, Iowa will need that in the Locker Room. I want to see Iowa win like everyone else.

No offense but most of the boos were at the coaches. However the fans who pay tickets have every right to boo and express their opinion how they want fair or not. Especially in the age of NIL. You want to take the good with the money take then you have to learn to take the bad too because it’s not always going to be sunshine and rose. Welcome to the real world It’s called being an adult.

Campbell's comments and attitude are admirable and understandable, and I'd be disappointed to hear him say anything else about a teammate

However...the boos are 99% meant for KF and BF, and my anger at them for putting Petras out there to fail rises every game (if the OL is porous, and the QB is under pressure every play, he's certainly not our best QB choice in that situation)

Remember that bowl game when KF wouldn't take an injured CJ Beatherd out? I thought that was borderline abusive (I don't care if CJB wanted to stay in, he could hardly move or protect himself). I'm starting to feel the same about Petras--why is KF putting him thru this? What purpose does it serve? It would be SO EASY to pull him and put Padilla in, and if Alex sucks then sure put Spencer back in again, or try Labas

But to put a clearly failing QB out there to be the focus of booing and abuse (even if aimed at KF and BF), that's starting to rankle with me. It's clear from Petras' body language that maybe even he wanted to be subbed out at some point on Saturday

This is why I don't like the modern current athlete. They want the best of both worlds. "We are just human playing a stupid game but we should get benefits nobody can possibly dream of." Free education, free publicity, free fame, free connections, NIL, etc.
None of that is free. They pay with their time, effort, bodies and brains. Not sure if you played college athletics but balancing the demands of being a student with practice, weight lifting and everything else is quite draining.

As far as NiL, college football has turned into big business and they use players likeness to profit. Don’t you think the people actually doing the work should get a cut?

Reactions: Ree4 and littlez
It's amazing how football with Ferentz is one big Deja Vu trip. We heard the same thing about booing when it was Christensen/Stanzi, and then Ruddock/Beathard. Both of those times, while I won't contend the booing necessarily had anything to do with KF making a switch at those QB positions, it did make it harder for Ferentz to ignore the lack of production from his starter. And a change ultimately did happen. If for no other reason, to protect "his guy" from having to deal with the treatment from the crowd. In some ways, Kirk allowed the precedent to be set by making changes when the crowds booed during those seasons. People don't forget.

Ferentz loves these kids, and I'm sure it hurts him to see the boos getting reigned down on him. It sucks that it always seems to take the crowd booing for him to almost force a change.

A bunch of time talking about the boos while the offense was on the field (and those are for the most part directed at the coaches), while not much being said about the noise and appreciation for the defense (and for Tory). Once again the crowd helped create a great environment for the defense, helping to create procedure calls, etc. That was an opening day crowd that was ready to erupt like Indiana last year but the KF and BF took the life out of the stadium every time we had the ball. Campbell was a beast and Tory was about as close to perfect as you can get and the crowd was great. It was interesting to look toward the east side of the stadium and see all the SDSU fans. Even with that the crowd was in full throat mode early in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT