ADVERTISEMENT

Jack has Season Ending Injury (Torn Meniscus; Surgery Next Week; OUT 4-6 Months). Hawkeye Elvis Nails it. CMac should be Ok

Can't help feeling terrible for Jack, whatever advice he gets going forward, whether from his Mother or the coaching staff, whether it ultimately leads to his return or not, one thing that will always remain with him is, he's a HAWK for life. That will never leave him....

My heart goes out to Jack. He has been through so much already with injuries and the loss of his father. I hope he is able to get healthy again and good things come his way in basketball and life.

This young man‘s drive and determination to have worked his way back from his prior injury was remarkable. I believe he will do it again. I hope to be there next November when he returns. See you at Carver Jack!

Can some of you athletes answer this? When someone has knee surgery and come back, why do they not always were a good stiff knee brace? Just something to keep it from hyperextending and also from sideways bending. I wouldn't think that would restrict too much movement. Thanks.

Can some of you athletes answer this? When someone has knee surgery and come back, why do they not always were a good stiff knee brace? Just something to keep it from hyperextending and also from sideways bending. I wouldn't think that would restrict too much movement. Thanks.
When I came back from the MCL tear, which also had meniscus damage like Jack, I wore a knee brace for my senior year of football. But never wore it for track and field even though I was a hurdler which adds stress to the knees from odd movements. And I only wore it a few times in college when we’d go to play basketball at the Fieldhouse.

2 reasons that I can think of.
1. Physically it is annoying to deal with and does limit what you can do. It doesn’t really prevent an injury from happening. Think about how many times we’ve seen OL players in football wearing the big knee braces still go down with an injury. It does help reduce the likelihood of injury, and helps you get back out there while everything is still healing. These types of injuries never really get back to normal(my knee grinds very loudly when bending or extending it 23 years later), but they take a long time to get to the new normal.
2. Mentally, the brace is a reminder of your injury. A reminder of being a gimp and all of the work that you went through to get back to where you are after the injury. Anyone that has played contact sports knows that if you try to avoid injury or you only go 90%, you often do things that your body isn’t meant to do and cause worse injuries. Not wearing the brace has the psychological benefit of being able to forget about the prior injury when playing.

Unfortunately, some people are just prone to ligament injuries. Women’s basketball players especially. But Jack at about 7’ tall has long limbs that create a lot of leverage that put stress on the joints. The meniscus tear is because the MCL was pulled to a position that caused enough stress on the cartilage that it tore.

Jack is a smart young man. Maybe at this point he ought to focus on repairing knees for a living rather than continue damaging his playing a sport. May be a lot happier in the long run.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Jack is only a sophomore scholastically, if he stay's at Iowa until he exhausts his eligibility he will have his masters and then some. Not many college students athletes can say they achieved that level without accruing some debt.
Great start to him becoming a doctor if that is his goal.
He's a soph elig-wise. Do we know where he is scholasticly?

I tore my ACL 3 times, Right, Left, Left. The 3rd was with a don joy brace which is what you see the football linemen wearing. Just turned to pivot and it buckled. Braces can't really do much. After my 3rd I had to say farewell to basketball. Jack will be back, but the knee will always be an issue, and maybe the other as well...

Meniscus = "knee cap". So the injury is on the upper front of his knee. A good stiff knee brace is not likely to be effective post-op for a repaired meniscus tear, IMO.

Meniscus = "knee cap". So the injury is on the upper front of his knee. A good stiff knee brace is not likely to be effective post-op for a repaired meniscus tear, IMO.

Correct. Back in the day some people would wear a tight band that goes right under the knee cap to hold everything tightly in place. I don't know if they still do that or if it even helped.

He's a soph elig-wise. Do we know where he is scholasticly?

I believe that academically he is a Senior right now...

Freshman - played out of position
Sophomore - redshirted
Junior - acl injury 5-6 games into the season
Senior - current meniscus injury

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT