ADVERTISEMENT

Jamari Sibley

Dudley Blackwell likely to commit to Iowa State this afternoon. We will see what impact, if any, that has on Foster.

Dudley Blackwell likely to commit to Iowa State this afternoon. We will see what impact, if any, that has on Foster.

This would put them at 13 scholarships for next season. I assume Foster has a spot regardless.

Either Haliburton is going pro or someone is getting Creaned if they land Foster or the kid from Indian Hills they are in on.

Does Fran actively recruit Indian Hills? I wonder why we don't seem to have much of a connection there.

Rarely. In truth, Fran really doesn't go after many JUCOs or grad transfers. Without knowing the exact reason I think a lot of that is due to Fran's loyalty and confidence in guys on the team, which is not a terrible fault and one reason his payers almost all love playing for him.

Ugh. I wanna say here we go again. Let’s hope there is not a meltdown here if and when Fran doesn’t land Sibley or Foster. The trend is your friend as they say, and Fran’s trend has been to not be able to land the big fish. Either of these young men would be a great get, but so would’ve been Murrell, Crowl, or Gordon (not to mention Jackson).
Perhaps the “culture” to which Gordon apparently didn’t fit in with is what will keep other above average recruits away as well.
Prove me wrong Fran. Please.
Fran has landed plenty of “big fish”. Garza, Cook and Weiscamp come to mind.

Reactions: JAMAM

I guess it depends on your view of a "big fish." Were any of those guys Top 50? I think that's what most people mean.

Personally, I don't think Fran should worry about the Top 50 unless there is strong mutual interest by the other party. Most those guys are 1-2 year players and Iowa is not a program that can constantly reload.

Fran would be better off pounding the pavement for the Top 75-125. Good solid players who could develop into stars by the time their upperclassmen.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I guess we disagree on what “plenty” means. Let’s face it, even Underwood at Illinois in his short time there has landed more highly rated recruits.
There’s nothing wrong with wanting more out of a coach and his program this far into a tenure.

I guess it depends on your view of a "big fish." Were any of those guys Top 50? I think that's what most people mean.

Personally, I don't think Fran should worry about the Top 50 unless there is strong mutual interest by the other party. Most those guys are 1-2 year players and Iowa is not a program that can constantly reload.

Fran would be better off pounding the pavement for the Top 75-125. Good solid players who could develop into stars by the time their upperclassmen.
Nothing wrong with that strategy to build and sustain a program. I think Fran has been doing exactly that since he got here. Unfortunately just not doing it very well.

Purdue does well in the 51-150 range kids. Purdue tends to be top 5 in the B1G most years. Would like to see Fran land 2-3 kids a year anywhere in this range every year. If he did that Iowa is a top 6 team most years in the B1G.

Angle was rated ahead of Garza? Someone who did that ranking should slapped around.

I do remember Angle committed early like maybe a sophomore and was thought of highly at the time.

Reactions: hawkosx
I guess we disagree on what “plenty” means. Let’s face it, even Underwood at Illinois in his short time there has landed more highly rated recruits.
There’s nothing wrong with wanting more out of a coach and his program this far into a tenure.

Illinois is always going to get highly rated recruits and it doesn’t matter who is coaching.

You do realize that Illinois basketball is really good and they always get a few top kids from Chicago annually. Iowa has had a hard time recruiting the Chicago area since Bruce Pearl's screw up with Thompson. High School coaches black balled us for years. We did get Moss a few years ago but he was their #5 or 6 player on the team. Fran actually did some good things with Isaiah, now Kansas gets his senior year.

You do realize that Illinois basketball is really good and they always get a few top kids from Chicago annually. Iowa has had a hard time recruiting the Chicago area since Bruce Pearl's screw up with Thompson. High School coaches black balled us for years. We did get Moss a few years ago but he was their #5 or 6 player on the team. Fran actually did some good things with Isaiah, now Kansas gets his senior year.
Actually no, Illinois basketball is not really good. Underwood seems to be putting together a pretty good roster in a short time, like my post said. Dosunmu is only player that matters for them from Chicago. And if we are still using the same excuse from 30 years ago as to why we can’t get good recruits then I feel we may need a better recruiter.

Reactions: bu1992 and amahawk
Underwood got put between a rock and a hard place the 2018 Cycle being forced to basically pick what side he was going to take in the Horton-Tucker vs Dosunmu drama. Basically he had to tell THT and Simion HS that he was not taking both of them just Ayo and The Mac Irving Fire. Underwood pissed off the best HS in Chicago to make the biggest AAU Team in Chicago happy. It got ugly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havasu-CY
Unlikely, cuz good things don't usually happen for men's bball, but Foster and Sibley would be a hell of pair of recruits. That would generate some national interest and pay recruiting dividends for years.

Agree with nearly everything here Dan. A certain % of our fan base doesn't seem to understand why Fran doesn't simply load up with athlete's. When it comes to instate recruits Fran still has strict character standards. There were at least a couple of Top 150 types he backed away from. I'm not positive on names, but one was Myles, and another from Western Iowa soon after he got the job.

Spot on. The Administration gives him zero latitude on gambling with players that are citizenship or PC risks.

Agree with nearly everything here Dan. A certain % of our fan base doesn't seem to understand why Fran doesn't simply load up with athlete's. When it comes to instate recruits Fran still has strict character standards. There were at least a couple of Top 150 types he backed away from. I'm not positive on names, but one was Myles, and another from Western Iowa soon after he got the job.

Spot on. The Administration gives him zero latitude on gambling with players that are citizenship or PC risks.

Haha yeah sure.
https://www.espn.com/blog/collegeba.../id/30186/iowa-takes-a-chance-on-former-felon

How'd that turn out?

He never played a day for Iowa, though. Yeah, we really thought he'd end up at IA State. You must have been out of scholarships...
Damn I guess Iowa State really wasn't Thug Transfer U.

Cool.
So tell me..... when was it that Iowa was landing more top 100-150 level players?

I'm just excited to see them getting some again.

You realize that's one person 9 recruiting classes ago; hence the zero latitude in 2019-8 years later. Moreover, that one guy you found from 2011 was kicked off the team before he was enrolled in school I think. He never suited up.

In the present world, not 8 years ago, the Iowa Administration is hostile to men's athletics and imposes various restrictions on recruiting guys that might need a second chance-they're just not getting it at Iowa. Unnecessarily rigid on academic waivers as well.

I don't agree with that culture and the social justice idiocy by which it is informed but it is a very real problem at the U of Iowa.

You realize that's one person 9 recruiting classes ago; hence the zero latitude in 2019-8 years later. Moreover, that one guy you found from 2011 was kicked off the team before he was enrolled in school I think. He never suited up.

In the present world, not 8 years ago, the Iowa Administration is hostile to men's athletics and imposes various restrictions on recruiting guys that might need a second chance-they're just not getting it at Iowa. Unnecessarily rigid on academic waivers as well.

I don't agree with that culture and the social justice idiocy by which it is informed but it is a very real problem at the U of Iowa.
Unlike IA State fans, I am not worried about an AD that expects their coaches to recruit good student-athletes.

In the internet recruiting era 1-10 is
1) Tyler Smith
2) Adam Woodbury
3) Joe Wieskamp
4) Tyler Cook
5) Pat McCaffery
6) Mike Gesell
7) Matt Gatens
8) Alex Thompson
9) R.J. Angle
10) Luka Garza

Per ESPN Top 100 players since 2002 signing period
Tyler Smith 24
TC 38
Woody 39
Pierre Pierce 42
Adam Haluska 50
Jeff Horner 57
P McC 64
Greg Bruner 72
Mikey G 75
Joey W 77
Ute 90
Connor McC 92
Matt Gatens 99
Luka Garza 100

Of the 14, all four no five stars on ESPN, 5 Alford recruits, 1 Lick recruit and 8 McC recruits. McC has certainly done more with his than his predecessors did with theirs.

Who had Alex Thompson in the top 100? Saw a 123 on 247, and archives are incomplete. That kid was a dufus with a bad attitude.

Actually no, Illinois basketball is not really good. Underwood seems to be putting together a pretty good roster in a short time, like my post said. Dosunmu is only player that matters for them from Chicago. And if we are still using the same excuse from 30 years ago as to why we can’t get good recruits then I feel we may need a better recruiter.

Then tell us who the viable better coach/recruiter Iowa can bring in? I ask this all the time but I don’t ever get an answer. People just want to throw that out like it’s magically easy to do. If you want to bring in someone like a Bruce Pearl that everyone knows is cheating, then fine but better be fine with the possible consequences.

Then tell us who the viable better coach/recruiter Iowa can bring in? I ask this all the time but I don’t ever get an answer. People just want to throw that out like it’s magically easy to do. If you want to bring in someone like a Bruce Pearl that everyone knows is cheating, then fine but better be fine with the possible consequences.

Nor will you ever get an answer to this question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT