ADVERTISEMENT

Jasper County is losing its only birthing practice. A county of 37,000 is losing their Ob/Gyns

I love the, “You didn’t read the article”, narrative.
A county of 37,000+ is losing access to birthing care.
1. Bad for the women of Jasper County.
2. Bad for an area that has never recovered from Maytag leaving. Why would young women starting their family move to Jasper County?

Last edited:
Um, my daughter is in residency and is hoping to end up in OBGYN. Her mentor makes over 400k.
if she’s already in residency then she shouldn’t be hoping to do OBGYN, she should already know that’s what she’s doing (unless she’s doing a transition year and then matching). I would try and talk my kids out of OBGYN if that’s what they chose. I have two in college on the pre med course and they can obviously do what they want but OBGYN would be exactly last place on my list of good professions in medicine and I’ve told them that.

if she’s already in residency then she shouldn’t be hoping to do OBGYN, she should already know that’s what she’s doing (unless she’s doing a transition year and then matching). I would try and talk my kids out of OBGYN if that’s what they chose. I have two in college on the pre med course and they can obviously do what they want but OBGYN would be exactly last place on my list of good professions in medicine and I’ve told them that.
If you push then to ortho surgery, they can prob get some pretty sweet muck boots

Can't say I disagree.

Can't say I disagree.
We obviously need OBGYNs but the profession needs a serious overhaul in how they do things. Some places are trying. They’ll employ “laborists” who are ONGYN docs who only do inpatient OB. Similar to the idea of a hospitalist for internal medicine. It’s shift work then. They may be up all night but the next day they would be off and not in clinic or in the OR. But then the ones who do clinic work and OR work don’t get to deliver as many babies. And then you’re also still short more OBGYN docs as some become laborists.

Lol keep excusing away the despicable joke known as the Iowa GOP
Or better yet….,.,Kim Reynolds. It’s her face on the abortion bill, the school voucher bill, the MedicAid “privatization” reorganization, the AEA “reorganization”…….this is all driven by a vindictive tyrant with an addictive personality….and Iowans are just fine with it. I imntrntionally didn’t mention how she ramrodded Iowa’s voter reorganization that has restricted access to Iowa voting booths for no reason other than” well, it might happen”….

I don't know how anyone thinks having to be driven 30 miles down the interstate is going to be a good thing for those in labor. The added cost and time when everything goes correctly will be felt amongst those that can least afford it, who knows what happens in an emergency.

This happens all over Iowa. This is nothing new.

This happens all over Iowa. This is nothing new.
Even if it does happen Northern….that doesn’t make it “a good thing” does it? This newly legislated abortion bill is going to be a net negative for those states like Iowa, who adopt it. It just is not sound thinking.
Business goes where it is welcome. OB/GYN is no exception.

Even if it does happen Northern….that doesn’t make it “a good thing” does it? This newly legislated abortion bill is going to be a net negative for those states like Iowa, who adopt it. It just is not sound thinking.
Business goes where it is welcome. OB/GYN is no exception.

I didn't say it was a good thing but there's been contributions in this thread that illustrate that other factors are at work. But the abortion cult persists in this thread.

IMG-0732.jpg

I didn't say it was a good thing but there's been contributions in this thread that illustrate that other factors are at work. But the abortion cult persists in this thread.
What “other” factors are at work here, Northern? Which ones? Iowa goes prehistoric on its abortion laws (which also affect women’s health care, as being demonstrated in many other states)….the Iowa AG refuses to “clarify” the signed law saying it “speaks for itself”……and you wonder why docs are stepping back from L/D medicine, pre-birth maternity care and the specialization of OB/GYN is looking for answers…..elsewhere? Again….business goes where it is welcome. And right now, OB/GYN, and pre-birth maternity care are NOT welcomed in Iowa.

For whoever said "It's only a 40 min drive"...no, it's 1 1/2 hours, just driving. It's also that much extra in sick leave or unpaid leave time. It's also 80 miles worth of gas. All of which was unexpected.
Don’t most companies give you the day off when you give birth?

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
I love the, “You didn’t read the article”, narrative.
A county of 37,000+ is losing access to birthing care.
1. Bad for the women of Jasper County.
2. Bad for an area that has never recovered from Maytag leaving. Why would young women starting their family move to Jasper County?
I dont think anyone said it's a good thing. I might have missed it.

You didn't read the article if you come out with your politics bullshit. There was none of that unless you wanted it there and put it in there in your own head.

Suggest you loons read the article.
Lots of factors in play including one of the worst unions ever - the ama.
The AMA is hardly a trade union, jack-off! It’s a professional union made up of physicians….and it “negotiates” better legislation for their employees….doctors. It’s not carrying signs, working picket lines and collecting dues for pensions.

Reactions: cohawk
We obviously need OBGYNs but the profession needs a serious overhaul in how they do things. Some places are trying. They’ll employ “laborists” who are ONGYN docs who only do inpatient OB. Similar to the idea of a hospitalist for internal medicine. It’s shift work then. They may be up all night but the next day they would be off and not in clinic or in the OR. But then the ones who do clinic work and OR work don’t get to deliver as many babies. And then you’re also still short more OBGYN docs as some become laborists.
Well, here's hoping my daughter will be at the forefront of some needed changes.

The AMA is hardly a trade union, jack-off! It’s a professional union made up of physicians….and it “negotiates” better legislation for their employees….doctors. It’s not carrying signs, working picket lines and collecting dues for pensions.
I don’t know any physicians that I know are AMA members. I’m sure some of them I work with are but not many. A quick search shows that only 15% of physicians are AMA members. I have never been a member and they do not represent me.

I dont think anyone said it's a good thing. I might have missed it.

You didn't read the article if you come out with your politics bullshit. There was none of that unless you wanted it there and put it in there in your own head.
What BS? It’s less attractive to be an Ob/Gyn in Iowa for a variety of reasons. You seem incapable of accepting them.

Did you read the article? Have you read the contributions in this thread?
What does US News & World Report have to say about the loss of health care providers in Iowa? Why are you incapable of admitting the loss of doctors is a bad thing for Iowans?

Reactions: Tom Paris
What does US News & World Report have to say about the loss of health care providers in Iowa? Why are you incapable of admitting the loss of doctors is a bad thing for Iowans?

Of course it's a bad thing. Read the article Lucas.

For decades. But yeah, let's blame the 6 month old law. This is why I use the term derp. Derp
No, multiple causes. But, like Northern you are ignoring the end result. And, it will only get worse.

Don’t most companies give you the day off when you give birth?
Uhhhhhh, you realize that women have to go for checkups quite frequently while they are pregnant, right? My daughter in law was going twice a week for almost half of her pregnancy because she was high risk. Thankfully she was in Omaha so care was easily accessible.

Uhhhhhh, you realize that women have to go for checkups quite frequently while they are pregnant, right? My daughter in law was going twice a week for almost half of her pregnancy because she was high risk. Thankfully she was in Omaha so care was easily accessible.
The doctor who is staying is going to continue providing prenatal care in Newton. She just won’t be able to deliver babies there.

Reactions: stickman80
The doctor who is staying is going to continue providing prenatal care in Newton. She just won’t be able to deliver babies there.
Do you think a single doctor will maintain a practice like that for long? Would a doctor in this circumstance perhaps be older and closer to retiring, or also move on now that their partner forced the issue?

The article wasn't super clear about it. It said the OBGYN would continue working with family practice patients which could mean standard gyn care but no ob.
In addition to that passage I read another article that specifically mentioned prenatal care.

Reactions: 3boysmom
In looking at your link it appears she is board certified in Family Medicine. Are you certain that she plans to continue in obstetrics and not transitioning to family medicine?
As I explained to Lucas, I’m not a mind reader. So I can’t promise you that Dr. Gravenstine will continue to provide obstetrics services in Newton. What I can tell you is that the Newton Clinic Administrator plans to have her continue providing those services in Newton in addition to finding nearby hospitals where she can deliver babies for her patients.

• Haha
Reactions: fredjr82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT